Please Brandon Hyde...no more back to back appearances as closer for Kimbrel

5 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Kimbrel is our closer. He has to be able to go back to back. If he can't, Elias has to find someone who can close games back to back, either someone already in the organization or through trade. 

Why can’t he just use someone else in our bullpen on the nights Kimbrel isn’t available?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Kimbrel is our closer. He has to be able to go back to back. If he can't, Elias has to find someone who can close games back to back, either someone already in the organization or through trade. 

I think Elias is already looking for a shutdown late-game reliever though not necessarily an established closer.  Nothing wrong with a loose committee.

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Why can’t he just use someone else in our bullpen on the nights Kimbrel isn’t available?

Are you thinking that a team's closer shouldn't be expected to go two days in a row? That it would be ok if a pitcher expected to anchor the back of the bullpen is unavailable the day after appearing in a game? Has that ever been true of a championship caliber team?

So we are paying an old guy 11 million dollars to pitch one inning a series?  Sounds like a complete waste of money, Could've used that to resign a player or actually boost the bullpen.  

49 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Are you thinking that a team's closer shouldn't be expected to go two days in a row? That it would be ok if a pitcher expected to anchor the back of the bullpen is unavailable the day after appearing in a game? Has that ever been true of a championship caliber team?

I think a team should use its relievers whichever way gives them the best chance to win the most games.   Who was the Rangers closer last year and in the playoffs?

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think a team should use its relievers whichever way gives them the best chance to win the most games.   Who was the Rangers closer last year and in the playoffs?

Let me re-aim the question. Would you want a bullpen (other than a long reliever) full of guys who couldn't pitch back to back?

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Let me re-aim the question. Would you want a bullpen (other than a long reliever) full of guys who couldn't pitch back to back?

Of course not but apparently we have Kimbrel who is dominant at times but who maybe needs more time to recover.   He’s not getting released.  You make the best of it.

The Rangers won the championship last year with Will Smith, Aroldis Chapman, and Jose Leclerc.  

I absolutely loved Hyde's hook of Kimbrel there. Sure, Hyde likes to give his veterans a fair shake, but he's not an idiot. He knows when the game is swirling the drain and in that moment he did not care about Kimbrel's future Hall of Fame induction. 

I LOVE THAT.

Couldn't be Buck. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I absolutely loved Hyde's hook of Kimbrel there. Sure, Hyde likes to give his veterans a fair shake, but he's not an idiot. He knows when the game is swirling the drain and in that moment he did not care about Kimbrel's future Hall of Fame induction. 

I LOVE THAT.

Couldn't be Buck. 

Yes, might be his best move of the year. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Of course not but apparently we have Kimbrel who is dominant at times but who maybe needs more time to recover.   He’s not getting released.  You make the best of it.

The Rangers won the championship last year with Will Smith, Aroldis Chapman, and Jose Leclerc.

Kimbrel is just coming off nursing a back injury. I think he will be available for back to back's, but the time to test him out wasn't this past weekend. Let Kimbrel pitch with at least one off day in between to see how he responds for now.