Rosenthal @ The Athletic: Why top hitting prospects are having a harder transition to the majors than in the past

This goes with the tweet I posted yesterday about the quality of fastball Holliday saw.

People laughed and acted like it was some flippant response but it’s true..you can’t learn to hit ML pitching in the minor leagues. You have to see it and adjust to it.

• Upvote 2

Very informative read. Required for all who think AAA success can automatically translate right away to the majors. I think the part where it says the team must have/be able to afford the time for the player to adjust needs remembering also. Thanks for posting, Moose!

• Upvote 1

Rookie integration taxes are higher but you gotta pay to play unless you can live with using Adam Frazier or Ramon Urias or Jorge Mateo in October.

I guess Sigbot could check the ask for its kin Alex Bregman if he came to market..

Everybody said what was gonna happen if the Astros didn't win the division...I guess we'll never know!

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This goes with the tweet I posted yesterday about the quality of fastball Holliday saw.

People laughed and acted like it was some flippant response but it’s true..you can’t learn to hit ML pitching in the minor leagues. You have to see it and adjust to it.

The extent of the difference is what I find most surprising. 

While all of this sounds true, I wonder what the other side of the equation is. The majors also has all the world's best hitters, with their analytics teams breaking down the opposition pitching. So couldn't you argue that AAA pitchers will have an equally steep adjustment to the majors when they first arrive? It doesn't negate the argument made here, but seems it would duplicate when it comes to young pitchers getting called to the Show. Yet what we hear is only, "The jump from AAA to MLB pitching is the biggest jump in sports."

I haven't read the article, just the snippets in the original post. But I'm guessing there's no study to accompany this, where they show a bunch of statistically significant samples of rookie performance in their first X games in, say, the 1970s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, and then compare the data to the 2020s with a clear trend line that it really is more difficult to break in today?

Because without that, this is more-or-less a fluff piece speculating on the causes of an effect that nobody has shown to actually be true.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, now said:

While all of this sounds true, I wonder what the other side of the equation is. The majors also has all the world's best hitters, with their analytics teams breaking down the opposition pitching. So couldn't you argue that AAA pitchers will have an equally steep adjustment to the majors when they first arrive? It doesn't negate the argument made here, but seems it would duplicate when it comes to young pitchers getting called to the Show. Yet what we hear is only, "The jump from AAA to MLB pitching is the biggest jump in sports."

Remember when expansion supposedly diluted pitching? When I'd ask why expansion didn't dilute hitting just as much the answer was usually something along the lines of "well, it's obvious that there are all kinds of effects that the scarcity of pitching shows that there's just more hitters in the pipeline and kids these days can't see that the training and stuff isn't like the ways that the people did it back in the 50s and all that... yea."

Until someone shows me relevant data confirming Rosenthal's hypothesis I'm going to assume he has no idea if it's true or not. But his article will now be cited as evidence by any number of people who claim it is.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Which is something some of us have been saying this whole time.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Which is something some of us have been saying this whole time.

Has anyone ever said that you can learn to hit ML pitching in the minors?

The point Elias made about the quality of advance scouting and game-planning made a lot of sense to me.   There’s not much incentive to invest in that at the AAA level.    

Posted (edited)

This article confirms my suspicions that any pitcher worth a damn isn't going to be wasting away in AAA ball. Adley and Gunnar both went through their own adjustment periods. Ultimately once Holliday has the mechanics of his swing worked out he needs to be called up because the only way to hit against MLB pitchers is to face MLB pitchers.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

https://theathletic.com/5481059/2024/05/09/mlb-top-hitting-prospects-majors/

I probably should have bumped the Jackson Holliday thread with this, after all the article leads off with a picture of him.

Obviously can't post the whole thing, but it's a decent read.  I'm including the Elias quotes, anything Orioles related and any other good points.

Also, there's no mention of leg kicks.  Anywhere.  No mention of leg kicks being a problem for transitioning to the majors.

No leg kicks mentioned!  

Good post.   Makes sense.

In JH's case, I do think the leg kick has something to do with it.   And it goes back to the first quote in the OP about velocity.   In the majors there is just more of it.  You don't have near as much time (baseball speaking) to decide whether to swing or not.  So the timing with the leg kick may work in the minors where velocity is less, but in the majors he may be a tad slow with it compared to the speed of the pitches he is seeing.

Looks like he is back into the swing of things at Norfolk so lets hope he made an adjustment and will be back up at some point.