Baumann DFA

ChipTait

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ugh. Bad decision imo

Although I will say that with Elias and Sig out there last night and the Os with a big lead, Baumann getting 2 outs and then allowing 2 base runners, one of which where he had no command in the at bat, had to irritate the powers at be.

These guys don’t make emotional decisions.  

37 minutes ago, interloper said:

At one point during Baumann's appearance, the camera went to Elias and Sig and Elias was laser focused on the field. Previously in the game he had been kind of looking at his phone. So that's interesting to me. 

It's a risky move. Like, does anyone trust Perez more than Baumann right now? I sure don't. 

Perez may be next

39 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Big Mike threw a no-hitter for Bowie. He got some big outs over the last few years. He'll find a job somewhere.

Ultimately, he's a 4.50 ERA right handed bullpen guy. They're a dime a dozen.

Except he’s been better than that, so that’s not an accurate description of him.

I'm not sure if anyone on the winning-record, way-in-the-back part of the waiver line is chomping at the bit to pick him up, so probably no minor trade to be had here. 

Some team in the White Sox / Marlins / Rockies / Angels neighborhood will almost certainly claim him though, as he's got to be an upgrade over somebody in their bullpens.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Except he’s been better than that, so that’s not an accurate description of him.

I disagree. 2023-2024 Baumann stats:

3.69 ERA, 4.41 FIP, 4.77 xFIP, 4.48 SIERA, 4.90 xERA

That paints a clear picture of a 4.50 ERA guy to me. I trust the peripherals, especially when it comes to relievers where ERA is very noisy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Morgan423 said:

I'm not sure if anyone on the winning-record, way-in-the-back part of the waiver line is chomping at the bit to pick him up, so probably no minor trade to be had here. 

Some team in the White Sox / Marlins / Rockies / Angels neighborhood will almost certainly claim him though, as he's got to be an upgrade over somebody in their bullpens.  

If the O's get someone back in trade, it will probably be of the "this is the guy we were about to release" variety or I can dream it will be a lower ranked DSL prospect.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ugh. Bad decision imo

Although I will say that with Elias and Sig out there last night and the Os with a big lead, Baumann getting 2 outs and then allowing 2 base runners, one of which where he had no command in the at bat, had to irritate the powers at be.

Ehh, they don't seem like the kind of guys to make a knee-jerk reaction based on his appearance last night. I'm sure they've had enough data to suggest he should be the guy to go long before yesterday's game even started.

Mike Baumann 2024 thread - Baumann must go (Many OH posters)

Mike Baumann DFA thread - I don't understand why they let Baumann go. (Many OH posters)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Ehh, they don't seem like the kind of guys to make a knee-jerk reaction based on his appearance last night. I'm sure they've had enough data to suggest he should be the guy to go long before yesterday's game even started.

Mike Baumann 2024 thread - Baumann must go (Many OH posters)

Mike Baumann DFA thread - I don't understand why they let Baumann go. (Many OH posters)

Not saying they are one jerk but there’s always likely something that is the straw that broke the camels back and that outing yesterday may have been it.

For two years we talked about 7+ run leads possibly not being Baumann proof. I probably would have DFA'd Perez first, but I don't fault them here. They needed to get rid of someone and he was one of the two least reliable options out of the pen. I guess Perez got the LHP hard thrower advantage, even though he's not good.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not saying they are one jerk but there’s always likely something that is the straw that broke the camels back and that outing yesterday may have been it.

Yeah, I assume they've been looking at the data closely. I would have preferred Perez being DFA'd but I put my reasoning why he's probably not the one to go in a post above, even if I think it was a bad reason.

Big picture - there has been a lot of concern expressed on this board that Elias will hoard marginal players like McKenna and Bauman at the expense of team competitiveness. Whether or not you agree on the specifics of the move, it should assuage any such hoarding concerns.

• Upvote 2