O's Acquire Thyago Vieira

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Our payroll is low because we have a lot of players on the team who are at the point in their service time where they are making the league minimum.

The Os are getting MVp level production out of Gunnar for 750k. Thats how the salary and payroll work in MLB.

This is what I’m talking about in terms of educating yourself.

And the Yankees have multiple high end contributors making no money.  Their second best reliever this year is Luke Weaver. If Luke Weaver was available in the offseason and the Os added him, you would cry about it.  You don’t even know who he is and he’s dominating right now.  And he’s only making $2M.

Stop saying I’m going to cry about anything. It’s rude and telling 

4 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

Why does it have to be right now? We’ve been cheap for 30 years. Why didn’t we sign Soto last year when he was available? Why didn’t we compete with the Yankees like we used to?

Can you imagine how badass our lineup or be right now if we had Soto in the middle of it. And how much would the young players learn from having a season veteran like that? 

do you think it’s just a coincidence of the Yankees or ahead of us right now?

Can't you see what you're doing? You're blaming the current ownership for the cheap ass Angelos ownership. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jagwar said:

Just to be clear for my own take. The Angelos family was awesome in the mid 80s. They spent significant dollars to bring in top free agents.  Then they were suddenly un-awesome. And then they were a drag for almost 3 decades. They were the worst owners in the league for sure. But Rubenstein seems to be the anti-Angelos. I'm going to give him a chance to prove just that, and would suggest you do the same.  

It’s real easy just to forget 30 years of crap from that lousy billionaire and then another billionaire I don’t know anything about buys the team.

And you’re not suspicious at all?

Maybe that’s why our country sucks up the billionaires all the time.

I hate them. I wish they didn’t own the team. I wish the fans owned the team. Billionaires only think of profit.

I always think about Cal Ripken and how great his career could’ve been if he wasn’t stuck stuck on the cheap Angelo’s teams where he never got to play in the World Series. So all we get to hear about is stupid Derek Jeter.

1 minute ago, Phil Beckett said:

It’s real easy just to forget 30 years of crap from that lousy billionaire and then another billionaire I don’t know anything about buys the team.

And you’re not suspicious at all?

Maybe that’s why our country sucks up the billionaires all the time.

I hate them. I wish they didn’t own the team. I wish the fans owned the team. Billionaires only think of profit.

I always think about Cal Ripken and how great his career could’ve been if he wasn’t stuck stuck on the cheap Angelo’s teams where he never got to play in the World Series. So all we get to hear about is stupid Derek Jeter.

I understand your disdain for the Angelos ownership. 

I'm hesitant to paint Rubenstein with the same brush. He's doing and saying things that are as diametrically opposed to the old regime as I can possible imagine 

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Can't you see what you're doing? You're blaming the current ownership for the cheap ass Angelos ownership. 

Wake me up when it happens. I haven’t seen anything yet. I guess this guy had no plans at all when he bought the team. Typical. Just another arrogant billionaire. This is another reason the fans should own the team.

I can see tons of things this team could be doing better.

I do believe though Mike Elias is fantastic. I’ve heard other people worry that he might leave the team and I was horrified when he mentioned the lift off and then the Angelos’s completely pulled the plug on him and made him look like a fool. I thought he was gonna quit and join another team.

and I absolutely am not the only person who thought that. It was mentioned here and on Camden chat and all the oriole chat rooms on Facebook and everywhere else. You can tell I’m a big fan of the Orioles.

Heck, lots of people were saying that too. Not just me. I’ll bet there other threads here on the same subject.

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

I understand your disdain for the Angelos ownership. 

I'm hesitant to paint Rubenstein with the same brush. He's doing and saying things that are as diametrically opposed to the old regime as I can possible imagine 

Thank you. Nice post. And I certainly hope so. Right? We all agree. We want a good team.

2 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

Thank you. Nice post. And I certainly hope so. Right? We all agree. We want a good team.

Yes we do. We may agree, but you're firing howitzers without showing any awareness for how things really work in a front office. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can’t believe y’all are even engaging with this nonsense.  

As to the merits of this move, it looks like an effort at marginal improvement.  Probably a nothingburger, but sometimes these moves surprise.  

Nonsense

You’re right. Sometimes I forget how serious the game baseball really is

kind of a life and death thing.

I’m sorry.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Yes we do. We may agree, but you're firing howitzers without showing any awareness for how things really work in a front office. 

Firing howitzers! 🤣

no one is firing any howitzers. 🙄
I have seen much worse said about the Orioles. Even though we’ve been winning lately. Don’t be ridiculous.

get some perspective. You’re being silly

I’m saying what many other people have said. And they’ve said it much more forcefully than I have.

Edited by Phil Beckett
Augment!

9 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

The full deal:

Vieira has no options left.

Aneuris Rodriguez is about to turn 20 and has 15K in 7.1IP in a rookie league.

I’m more excited about minor leaguer Aneuris Rodriguez due to his age and nice stats . The Orioles need more pitching talent to balance heavy positional talent in their farm system.

3 hours ago, Phil Beckett said:

I don’t like giving billionaires any chances. Personally, I’m sick of baseball owners. Don’t forget they’re the same rich people that kept black players out of the league. Billionaires are never your friend.

I feel like a peon with these rich guys, deciding my happiness or not. John Angelos was horrible and ruined the franchise for a long time. Another greedy billionaire who was cheap. Why do you think I’m sensitive to the whole idea.

And again if I’m wrong, no big deal. If you’re wrong. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I believe teams should be owned by the fans 

1 major sports franchise in the U.S. is owned by the fans, the Green Bay Packers.  That is not increasing any time soon.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I can’t believe y’all are even engaging with this nonsense.  

As to the merits of this move, it looks like an effort at marginal improvement.  Probably a nothingburger, but sometimes these moves surprise.  

Wow, What are these guys talking about, Angelos awesome in the Mid 80s, He did not own the team until 1992