Monday afternoon May 27, 2024 - Os vs RedSox

justD

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Otter looks pretty good.  His curve ball is exactly why I wanted the robo umpires all those decades ago.  I remember announcers saying his curve ball was sooooo good it was fooling the umpires.  I got annoyed by this idea that a pitch was not being called a strike like it should be that I began dreaming of robo umps.  Way back in the early 90's.  

We are finally near this place of paradise.  Sooner or later robo umps are coming.  It will help hitting more than pitching I think.  Great hitters who know the strikezone will no longer feel compelled to swing at something off the plate to "defend" against a human ump just ringing you up.  

I think it could also help the young wild hard throwing pitcher who is does not know where his pitches are going half the time and they are all over the place.  Now umpires tend to not give these guys close pitches.  Robo ump will help these type guys. 

7 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Greg Olson looks like Rick Dempsey

Thanks I couldn't tell who that was. He has a distinctive voice tho, so maybe I'll start recognizing it now. 

Nice early game for me, might even have time to hit the pool later this afternoon. I heard they fixed the heater this spring - will be nice to be in a heated pool after it being 49 degrees this morning!

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

I guess Mullins must have some incriminating photos of Hyde and Elias,,,the guy has shown NO evidence of snapping out of his slump..

Holy cow this brings odd visions to mind.  LOL.  

5 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

The Otter looks pretty good.  His curve ball is exactly why I wanted the robo umpires all those decades ago.  I remember announcers saying his curve ball was sooooo good it was fooling the umpires.  I got annoyed by this idea that a pitch was not being called a strike like it should be that I began dreaming of robo umps.  Way back in the early 90's.  

We are finally near this place of paradise.  Sooner or later robo umps are coming.  It will help hitting more than pitching I think.  Great hitters who know the strikezone will no longer feel compelled to swing at something off the plate to "defend" against a human ump just ringing you up.  

I think it could also help the young wild hard throwing pitcher who is does not know where his pitches are going half the time and they are all over the place.  Now umpires tend to not give these guys close pitches.  Robo ump will help these type guys. 

I read that years ago, pitchers with specialty pitches would tell the umps in advance they were going to be working with said pitch often to help them out a bit and not get fooled as much. They were speculating if the umps had a pitch comm and if it would help them make better calls knowing what to look for.