The 2024 Trade Deadline

I have come around on the idea of extending / resigning Santander, and trading Kjerstad.  If for no other reason I feel like the contract required to retain Santander will be a good value.  Locking up Santander for a few years gives you stability for 2 out of the 3 OF spots for the next few years.

Who Elias targets in trade probably depends a lot on what kind of future payroll he is working with.  We have no idea what the new owners are willing to spend but I am sure Elias has a good idea.  If ownership has already told Elias they are ready to open up the checkbook and bring back Burnes after this year then finding a controllable starter is not a high priority, if Elias knows Burnes is one and done then we need to get someone who is here for a couple of years.

I think the starting pitcher we trade for will dictate what kind of assets we use to improve the bullpen.  So many unknowns right now, who knows what the plan is. I can't see us depleting our farm system for a controllable starter and a closer like Miller.  Could we do it? Probably.  Should we? I don't think so. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Luzardo is off, I think he's hurt or something and I wouldn't touch him. I'd love Crochet, but he'd be a guy for 2025, I can't see any responsible team throwing him 180 innings after just 12 in two years.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

Luzardo is off, I think he's hurt or something and I wouldn't touch him. I'd love Crochet, but he'd be a guy for 2025, I can't see any responsible team throwing him 180 innings after just 12 in two years.

I don’t even know how you can say he’s for sure a guy for 2025.  I don’t trust him to stay healthy.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Agree with what you and Malike said.  It makes me question Rosenthal's read on the market...  Is that what he's hearing?  Head fake GM game theory?  Or Rosenthal's opinion?  Echo chamber?

I really don't get the focus on Luzardo. And Crochet has his question marks too.  Both check a box or two, but go against the grain for more fundamental things IMO.

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Agree with what you and Malike said.  It makes me question Rosenthal's read on the market...  Is that what he's hearing?  Head fake GM game theory?  Or Rosenthal's opinion?  Echo chamber?

I really don't get the focus on Luzardo. And Crochet has his question marks too.  Both check a box or two, but go against the grain for more fundamental things IMO.

We have seen Luzardo’s tied to the Os from others as well.

I’m sure the Os are interested in him but as with anything, it depends on the price. 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t even know how you can say he’s for sure a guy for 2025.  I don’t trust him to stay healthy.

He sure looks strong right now. It's not out of the realm of possibility that his surgeries were successful and he's going to be durable.

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t agree that we will need to “lock him up in the next couple of weeks”. The contract won’t be large enough to spin out of control on the open market. 

Basallo, Mayo, and Santander all have similar skill sets. Basallo is going to have to play 1B/DH/back up C at the big league level. Mayo we are not really sure about his position (if he can handle any well). One thing is for almost certain, one of Mayo or Holliday will have to move out of the infield (as currently constructed) unless you are getting rid of Mountcastle next season.

Norby is already expendable, thus why he is still at AAA. If they believed that he had a place here long term, he would have stayed in the Majors. But it seems the plan is that 2B will be Holliday’s at latest starting next season.

The problem is that we can't just wait til the offseason and assume that Santander will say yes. We will have traded away his possible replacements, removing our Plan B options as well as weakening our negotiating position. Unless we extend him very soon, I think for our own protection we have to assume he is walking. 

1 minute ago, Malike said:

He sure looks strong right now. It's not out of the realm of possibility that his surgeries were successful and he's going to be durable.

Of course it’s possible..betting on Basallo or Mayo for that to happen is a bad decision imo.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The problem is that we can't just wait til the offseason and assume that Santander will say yes. We will have traded away his possible replacements, removing our Plan B options as well as weakening our negotiating position. Unless we extend him very soon, I think for our own protection we have to assume he is walking. 

If I am Santander being this close to FA, I'm not signing an extension unless it is for over the value that my agent has accessed for me to get on the open market.

Seems like every single speculative report (which is the only kind we’re getting at this stage) mentions Luzardo and Crochet. I don’t get it given the potential and foreseeable issues with each. If those two remain the most viable options, we aren’t getting a starter. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course it’s possible..betting on Basallo or Mayo for that to happen is a bad decision imo.

I'm at work so couldn't listen to who he thought it would take, I wouldn't do either for either of them, especially Luzardo his fastball is down 1.6 MPH from last year and has a sub 8 K/9, I'd give up next to nothing for him.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think the QO hedges against some of this. Santander might not be the type of FA that a team wants to give up a draft pick for. Or is that not still a thing?  I can’t remember. I know the QO is a thing but what’s the ‘penalty’ for signing a guy who turned one down?

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm at work so couldn't listen to who he thought it would take, I wouldn't do either for either of them, especially Luzardo his fastball is down 1.6 MPH from last year and has a sub 8 K/9, I'd give up next to nothing for him.

Rosenthal that didn’t say it would take either of them..just my own thought given his performance, age, service time and how irrational Getz is.

Getz was quoted the other day as saying Robert has the same trade value as he did in the offseason.

I said it then but it was foolish for the WS not to trade Robert this past offseason.

Edited by Sports Guy