The 2024 Trade Deadline

21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So you give up 2 top 100 prospects for 2 seasons and a limited second half? I’m glad you’re not in control. I know we’re currently a bit spoiled with the tanking and better front office. But I don’t see why you’d want to give up 3-4 players that include 2 of those guys. 

I don’t think I said exactly two top 100 guys but yes, I’d do something like Kjerstad, Norby, DeLeon for Crochet.   I may have mentioned a slight variation on that previously.   Crochet is one of the best, most talented pitchers in baseball.   A difference maker.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Isn’t Crochet and Miller similar to Means as dude that hit up a pitching factory, put on a bunch of muscle, and now are maxing that new frame out differently than they ever have?

People want to look at a Chris Sale, or a Reynaldo Lopez as comps. Sale was always a starter and it’s always been if he’s healthy he’s really good. Lopez was always a starter as well.

We saw what happened with Means. Means put on a lot of muscle and worked his butt off. His body couldn’t hold up pitching. 

Crochet reminds me of if BJ Ryan had focused on starting for a half season and prepped for that. 

Sale didn't start until his 3rd year in the Majors. He pitched 71 innings of relief the year before he became a starter.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah … but you’d give up the ranch. Would he extend here? Is that worth the risk considering his health. Plus the limited availability kind of defeats the purpose 

If the O's trade for him, they should definitely try to extend him.  Nastiest stuff for O's starter since Bedard.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

The windup is a bit funky.  The delivery is as smooth and clean as a whistle.  20 walks in 101 IP attests to the repeatability of the delivery. 

20 walks in 101 innings pitched ???  That’s impressive . Now I can see why Getz is asking Ace  like  haul of prospects 

2 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

20 walks in 101 innings pitched ???  That’s impressive . Now I can see why Getz is asking Ace  like  haul of prospects 

20 walks.  141 strikeouts.   Yeah.  Norby + isn’t quite going to get it done.

24 minutes ago, Malike said:

Hicks has never started professionally until this year. I guess converting relievers to starters is the new market inefficiency.

They both look like very astute moves at the moment.   Just waiting to see when the Giants shut down Hicks or the Braves shut down Lopez because of innings limits.   Or not.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• He is such an interesting case. Obviously the extraordinarily late “breakout” age, but you also just almost never see a true one-pitch pitcher in today’s game. Aside from the splitter, he has no ML-quality pitches. The 4-seam fastball is mediocre at best in velocity for a reliever (94.6 MPH), it’s on the straighter side, and it gets tagged to the tune of a .405 wOBA (with a .400 xWOBA to match). It’s a bottom-tier 4-seamer.  And then he throws a cutter 27% of the time. A cutter which is so bad that I can only imagine Palmer would have a coronary watching him continue to throw it. It is arguably the worst pitch in baseball this season, and over the course of his two ML seasons, hitters are posting a .486 wOBA against it. What’s most shocking is that StatCast suggests he’s been lucky to get that outcome, with a staggering .511 xWOBA on two seasons worth of cutters.    Ah, but then you have that splitter. The gift from God. And it really is, to be honest. This is a dude who would be working some every day job like the rest of us if he didn’t somehow master that splitter. But he did, and now he’s making bank playing a game. So far this season, 81 PAs ending on a splitter. Opponents have 4 hits against it (.056 BA). All those hits have been singles. 53 of those PAs ended with the hitter slinking back to the dugout (a cool 65.1% K rate), and it carries a 58.1% whiff rate. The average EV against the splitter this year is 76.7 MPH. The two-year wOBA on the splitter is .133, with a .137 xWOBA to match. Those are goofy numbers. Those are the numbers my 5-year-old nephew will put up against my best wiffleball arsenal this afternoon.    In sum, really interesting guy. Only having one effective pitch concerns me — on the days when the splitter is not splitting, he’s useless. The splitter has gotten more effective this year, not less, so that does assuage some of my concerns about the league eventually getting the book on him and spitting on the splitter in order to wait for a chance to pulverize the other junk he tosses. But is he a guy you can run out 4-5 times against the same elite hitters in a short span in October? It just seems like they’d have to get a solid feel for him after seeing a few times back to back. But if all it would cost is someone like Billy Cook, there’s really no harm done in finding out. 
    • Hopefully it extends Adleys longevity as well.  
    • Raylin Ramos returned to action today.
    • Fred Biletnikoff!  King of Stick.  Lol.  The refs hated him because every time he touched the ball it got the gook all over it and then the refs got it all over themselves.  Lol  And I agree that it should be allowed in a modest way in MLB. Just because you say it, doesn't make it so. What year was it before they started checking Pitchers after every half inning for sticky substances?  There was a year where it was pretty clear that pitchers were using something... tacki-goo?  I forget what year that was.  Were arm injuries up that year?  It might sway me a little if they were, but otherwise I don't think the the firmness of the grip is indicative of the spin.  The firmness of the grip is the control of the ball itself.  A harder grip would diminish spin.  Think of it as "english" in tennis.  The racquet glances the ball, but its the speed of the racquet that determines the spin.
    • We could be the Astros who have won 2 WS appeared in another. And been to what FIVE consecutive ALCS? With the extreme approach that we took to amass this kind of talent, I would rather set the bar high. We didn’t need to undergo the misery of extreme tanking just to have a team that could qualify for the playoffs each year. The Brewers and Guardians have that and they didn’t employ the extreme tank tactics. What we did forced MLB to change the rules to prevent it from being done again.
    • Agree.  It’s almost universal amongst all sports that size is valued when evaluating amateurs for projection.  
    • Burnes, Westburg, Ohearn, Grayson, Kimbrel, Santander. In that order.
  • Popular Contributors