The 2024 Trade Deadline

10 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Hopefully our ammo is cash instead of our prospects this offseason 

I'd generally agree, but other then shelling out 250 million to Burnes most options are other #3's (or worse). I suppose a rotation of say G Rodriguez, Fedde, Heaney? (FA), Kremer, Povich/Suarez is OK. I'd still try to make a trade. Maybe we could make a play for Justin Steele, for instance. 

4 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I'd generally agree, but other then shelling out 250 million to Burnes most options are other #3's (or worse). I suppose a rotation of say G Rodriguez, Fedde, Heaney? (FA), Kremer, Povich/Suarez is OK. I'd still try to make a trade. Maybe we could make a play for Justin Steele, for instance. 

There still is Blake Snell who has a player option which he probably takes.  Snell won’t cost much in prospects but will cost 30 million next year but that might be better then handing out long term deal.  Snell has been great last few starts after slow start missing spring.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

There still is Blake Snell who has a player option which he probably takes.  Snell won’t cost much in prospects but will cost 30 million next year but that might be better then handing out long term deal.  Snell has been great last few starts after slow start missing spring.  

True I wonder if Snell would do like a 2-70 type deal, maybe with a player option 3rd year. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, G54377 said:

That would be a nice scenario . Whether it would happen is another question 

5 minutes ago, G54377 said:

True I wonder if Snell would do like a 2-70 type deal, maybe with a player option 3rd year. 

Well, if Snell breaks out next season for us , they could try an extension with him . If he declines , they can give him QO then 

7 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I don’t think they give Burns the length contract he wants but you could trade for Snell and A.J. Puk and have both for next season at about 35 million. If Burnes leaves that 15 million off books you can decline Kimbrel option of 12 million and non tender or trade 1 or both of Mullins and Hays that frees up another 7-15 million.  Snell replaces Burns and Puk replaces Kimbrel, and Mayo replaces Hays you have similar type payroll next year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, G54377 said:

Yeah I wish the O's had swept the Cubs instead of the other way around.  Would have made that more likely.

The issue with Snell being a 1 for 1 replacement for Burnes is that Snell is unlike Burnes is frequently injured. And he does not give you consistent length. He has two seasons with 180 IP and the rest he has never gone over 130 in a season.

Relying on a pitcher like Snell to be a #1 in this kind of rotation is very risky IMO. Who covers all the gap of innings (that are likely to occur next year) going from Burnes to Snell?

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The issue with Snell being a 1 for 1 replacement for Burnes is that Snell is unlike Burnes is frequently injured. And he does not give you consistent length. He has two seasons with 180 IP and the rest he has never gone over 130 in a season.

Relying on a pitcher like Snell to be a #1 in this kind of rotation is very risky IMO. Who covers all the gap of innings (that are likely to occur next year) going from Burnes to Snell?

Snell is also not consistently good like Burnes. So there really isn’t a comparison here. 

12 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t think there is a plausible argument to be made that Stowers in “a future all-star” when he hasn’t even gotten regular ABs at age 26. He will be 27 next year. I’m not sure where there is a whole lot of appeal in a 27 year old “young player”. He’s not on any prospect list that I can find.

But I agree, I wouldn’t give up 2 top 15 prospects for a pitcher with Skubal’s resume. I would love to have him for a fair price though (even if it meant Holliday who I love as a prospect).

You make a fair point, but @Tony-OH said just yesterday regarding Stowers that if he was eligible he would likely slot as high as #4 on the Orioles prospect list. 

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Snell is also not consistently good like Burnes. So there really isn’t a comparison here. 

We should all be rooting against the Rangers and Giants. Not that we might get those guys specifically, but let’s get as many arms on the market as possible. 

The Giants are the type of team that we want involved, because they aren’t going into some full rebuild so they might value Stowers and Norby more than a team like the CWS. 

Things can change but this is how I see it as of now,

Available but too expensive - Skubal, and Crochet. 

Available - Anderson, Kikuchi, Montas, Fedde, Eflin, and Quantrill

Possibly Available - guys from the Cubs, Rangers, and Dodgers. Maybe the Blue Jays sell more if blown away. 

Edited by sportsfan8703