The 2024 Trade Deadline

6 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Still think Mountcastle for Woo makes a ton of sense.     Mullins doesn’t have a ton of value.

I don't think Mountcastle gets you much more than halfway there by himself. They'd probably want a decent pitching prospect back to keep the pipeline pumping, so maybe Povich or McDermott, plus another notable prospect, so maybe Beavers or Fabian.

I would still probably do that, but I'm not sure Elias would.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I agree with your concern but also your thought that at this point the best option is to just pull the trigger on the youth movement. Nothing to lose at this point.

Nothing to lose?  We’re still in first place we have everything to lose. It’s a slump, you don’t start unloading half the lineup of a team that’s on pace to win 95+. We’re about to have our first losing month in over two years. It happens, and you don’t immediately blow up the team when it does. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Nothing to lose?  We’re still in first place we have everything to lose. It’s a slump, you don’t start unloading half the lineup of a team that’s on pace to win 95+. We’re about to have our first losing month in over two years. It happens, and you don’t immediately blow up the team when it does. 

I never said blow up the team. I'm talking about guys like Urias, Mullins, and Mountcastle, who it's already been reported the Os are trying to move if possible. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

I don’t know how I feel about a full youth movement at the deadline here. Yes we are playing poorly right now. But are we actually sure that clubhouse chemistry is impacted, or are we reading into that one article and pairing it with poor play?

I think one of the strengths of the team was the chemistry. Now, if we can use Mountcastle and/or Mullins to get another eflin caliber pitcher or a closer caliber reliever, you gotta look at it.

But I definitely don’t think we should just tear down as a sort of “bridge to next year”.

Maybe this team is facing the realities of the business side in a way they didn’t have to last year because they were so young. I could see that. Hopefully if that is hanging over their heads at all, the deadline clearing and heading into the home stretch narrows the focus. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

I just can’t wait for the deadline to be over. It seems like the rampant speculation period has been much longer than usual this year. Feels like we’ve been speculating about who among the major prospects would be traded since before the season started. Glad it’s almost over. And I suspect the team will be too. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

I just can’t wait for the deadline to be over. It seems like the rampant speculation period has been much longer than usual this year. Feels like we’ve been speculating about who among the major prospects would be traded since before the season started. Glad it’s almost over. And I suspect the team will be too. 

We agree here. It's been a rough one.

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Orioles named as one of the interested parties for Snell in this article. 

I think we're only a serious suitor for Snell if the FO has no real intention of pursuing a long-term deal with Burnes/strongly believes he intends to sign elsewhere. Can't imagine we run the risk of paying ~$80 million just for 3/5 of our 2025 rotation.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think we're only a serious suitor for Snell if the FO has no real intention of pursuing a long-term deal with Burnes/strongly believes he intends to sign elsewhere. Can't imagine we run the risk of paying ~$80 million just for 3/5 of our 2025 rotation.

It’s plausible especially if some of these arbitration guys are in the deal. With Eflin I think we are around 35 million committed to next years salary’s without arbitration players. 

1 minute ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

What is the OF defense if Mullins is gone?  Do we comfortable with Kjerstad in LF everyday? 

The FO may think he's fine out there for 6 or 7 innings a night, with Pache coming in to play CF and Cowser shifting over to LF in the late innings.

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The FO may think he's fine out there for 6 or 7 innings a night, with Pache coming in to play CF and Cowser shifting over to LF in the late innings.

He makes me a little nervous out there when playing in Camden.  He looks like a newborn giraffe chasing fly balls. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

What is the OF defense if Mullins is gone?  Do we comfortable with Kjerstad in LF everyday? 

I think the only way Mullins is traded is if another deal for a LF/CF is lined up.

2 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

He makes me a little nervous out there when playing in Camden.  He looks like a newborn giraffe chasing fly balls. 

He’s going to get better. I think they will acquire a short term bat for LF or CF. Happ makes sense depending on the cost. 

11 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

I can't laugh any harder than 3 months of Garret Crochet being good makes him almost twice as valuable as Justin Steele who has an extra year of control.

Yeah.  Steele is very good to Skubal's great, but Steele seems less risky.  And, as you said, Steele has one year more of control.  As I'd posted earlier, I'd prefer Steele to Skubal (mainly because of the perceived cost), but do not believe the Cubs would make him available.