The 2024 Trade Deadline

25 minutes ago, Malike said:

Gausman looks done. I hope to God they stay away from him. What a difference a year makes.

image.thumb.png.b1c5fe9736b9ba928e5534205e75edf8.pngimage.thumb.png.f26a84e598c9c427cc23b0b1089eb622.png

Yes that and I dont like the thought of bringing back guys we moved on from because we knew their limitations, Tanner scott, Jack Flarerty, Kyle Bradish Spenser Watkins, Etc.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Malike said:

Gausman looks done. I hope to God they stay away from him. What a difference a year makes.

Not that I'm advocating trading for him, but when a pitcher has a big step change in performance like that my first thought is injury, then something mechanical, then maybe tipping pitches. He's lost a mph on his fastball, but I don't know if that explains over a run off his prior four year's average FIP.

Does anyone know what happened to him in '19? Because he looked even worse then, and followed it up with the best four year period of his career.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

34 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

Assuming the Jays are out of it and looking to start over, I’d be in the camp for trading for Gausman.  Not sure if his year would give us a shot out procuring him w/o trading the “untouchable” prospects, but his home and away splits make him very attractive.  He is pitching to about a 6 ERA and just below 2 WHIP in the Skydome while sporting a sub 2 ERA and sub 1 WHIP on the road.   He is owed around $57M through the 2026 season.  I’m a little leery of trading in the division but with the unbalanced schedule a thing of the past, this worry may be a bit overblown.  

I have said the Jays and Cubs are the key to the entire trade deadline.  They decide to hold onto everyone it will be pretty slim pickings and have to greatly overpay, they partially go in decent supply of players.  If both teams do full rebuild or completely clear their rosters it will be very interesting.

Pitchers possibly available for those two teams: 

SP Kevin Gausman,  Chris Bassitt, Yusei Kikuchi, Jameson Tailon, Kyle Hendricks, Justin Steele

RP Tyson Miller, Hector Neris, Chad Green, Trevor Richard’s 

injured guys Yimi Garcia and Jordan Romano

Position players. Vlad Guerrero, Bo Bichette, IKF, Justin Turner, Danny Jansen, Nico Hoerner, Christopher Morel, Cody Bellinger, Ian Happ.

Those are all guys that they could move as they are only under contract for no more then 3 years and most just rental or 1 year left.  They could completely flip the market.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Not that I'm advocating trading for him, but when a pitcher has a big step change in performance like that my first thought is injury, then something mechanical, then maybe tipping pitches. He's lost a mph on his fastball, but I don't know if that explains over a run off his prior four year's average FIP.

Does anyone know what happened to him in '19? Because he looked even worse then, and followed it up with the best four year period of his career.

He had "shoulder fatigue" earlier this season. Maybe it's lingering. I wouldn't want him pitching through it for us at 11 million dollars or whatever they would have to pay from his 22 million this year, then hope he's the great Gausman from a couple of years ago from ages 34-36.

Would Scherzer(40 and David Robertson (39) be enough for the O's to win the World Series?  If they are healthy  and pitching well at the deadline.

O's trade Norby, Beaver, Stowers, Nunez and Portes.

Too much? Too little? 

What do you think?

Edited by wildcard

15 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Position players. Vlad Guerrero, Bo Bichette, IKF, Justin Turner, Danny Jansen, Nico Hoerner, Christopher Morel, Cody Bellinger, Ian Happ.

Don't worry about Vlad this year. We'll make a big push to sign him when he's a free agent, come up short, but then have the last laugh when he comes to Baltimore for one last season in 2035. :)

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Would Scherzer(40 and David Robertson (39) be enough for the O's to win the World Series?  If they are healthy  and pitching well at the deadline.

O's trade Norby, Beavers, Stowers, Nunez and Portes.

Too much? Too little? 

What do you think?

1.  How can anyone answer if that would be enough to win a WS.   It’s possible.

2.  You’re in the ballpark.   

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

O's trade Norby, Beaver, Stowers, Nunez and Portes.

Too much? Too little? 

What do you think?

Both guys make perfect sense for this team. Feels like a good deal.

This is regarding Quantrill He's not that #3 we need, but a solid #4/5:

Of the two, the 29-year-old Quantrill likely has more value despite being the pricier arm. He’s posted a team-high 95 1/3 innings in 2024 and recorded a 3.78 ERA on the back of an 18% strikeout rate, 8.5% walk rate, 46.9% grounder rate and 1.13 HR/9. It’s been a nice rebound effort for Quantrill in a tough setting for any pitcher. The former No. 8 overall draft pick was torched for a 5.24 ERA last season in an injury-shortened year with the Guardians but is now in the midst of his third season of solid results in a big league rotation. Quantrill also pitched to a combined 3.16 ERA in 336 innings with Cleveland in 2021-22, showing the same blend of sub-par strikeout rates with an aversion to hard contact.

Quantrill isn’t without his flaws. His 18% strikeout rate is worse than the league-average, but right in line with his career 17.8% mark. He’s never missed bats at a high level, and his command is more good than great. Similarly, while he uses a sinker as his primary offering, his ground-ball rates are typically a bit above average but far from elite. Quantrill has in the past featured a changeup — he’s largely moved away from the pitch this season — but it hasn’t kept lefties in check as much as hoped when the pitch received plus grades back to his prospect days. Lefties have a career .241/.318/.404 slash against him, while righties are at a comparable .266/.313/.400. He’s been hittable by all opponents but also not overexposed in platoon settings.

I have mentioned Eovaldi before as a #3 option.  FA after the season, so the cost will be less for the rental than other options.  He was HUGE for the Rangers last season.

Edited by Greg Pappas