The 2024 Trade Deadline

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mounty and Mullins make sense and then acquire a back up CFer that hits RH.

I’ve been looking and it’s surprisingly difficult to find a backup right handed CF that isn’t terrible. The Orioles definitely could use one with Cowser for this year and at least next year. Maybe Fabian is that player eventually, but he’s not really even hitting well enough to push for a AAA promotion yet. 

Pillar and Pham are the obvious available names and they can hit but at their ages I don’t think the defense is there. Mets probably aren’t trading Bader, and even this offseason he’s going to want a starting opportunity.

There’s some players who are a bit too good/young with control and probably considered core starting players for their teams (Vierling DET, Young WAS, Pages LAD, Freeman CLE).

I think the best (and maybe only?) fit is Fairchild CIN?

35 minutes ago, CTBear said:

It just sounds like an unfocused approach and these deals are all time sensitive with the deadline being only a week away. Things are going to move very fast and I don’t want the FO to be scrambling to add pieces on the last day. The Rangers were far more proactive last year, began adding early and I just thought it was a much better strategy than waiting until the last minute. 

I think the article is just speculating that Elias theoretically has a lot of options, not reporting on the fact that Elias is trying to decide which to take. Know what I mean? I'm sure Elias knows exactly what he wants to do. We and Passan just don't know which he'll take. 

It is kind of an easy litmus test - do you feel better about "X" starting game 3 than Dean Kremer?

Tyler Anderson doesn't do it for me.

Suarez, Kremer, Povich and McDermott give a bunch of puzzle pieces to MacGyver stuff together once through the order at a time if an obviously stronger top of rotation option cannot be acquired.

It might feel a little dehumanizing to Chayce McDermott if he gets instructions to throw his best breaking ball towards the heart of the strike zone 50 straight times, but it is just math.    He is 26 next month and been training for this his whole baseball life.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think the article is just speculating that Elias theoretically has a lot of options, not reporting on the fact that Elias is trying to decide which to take. Know what I mean? I'm sure Elias knows exactly what he wants to do. We and Passan just don't know which he'll take. 

Yeah that’s fair. I’m just hoping he has a short list of guys he’s targeting and gets a deal or 2 done early. Then, if someone more appealing pops up later he can add even more considering we’d be fine adding 2 SP or 2RPs. Big Al would just move to bullpen if we get 2 SPs or stay as 5th starter if we get 2 RPs and only 1 SP. 

2 minutes ago, CTBear said:

Yeah that’s fair. I’m just hoping he has a short list of guys he’s targeting and gets a deal or 2 done early. Then, if someone more appealing pops up later he can add even more considering we’d be fine adding 2 SP or 2RPs. Big Al would just move to bullpen if we get 2 SPs or stay as 5th starter if we get 2 RPs and only 1 SP. 

Agreed. I'd hate to come down to the wire like last year where it really felt like Elias lost out on better guys and had to settle for Flaherty at the last second. Who knows if that's actually true, but yeah. 

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

This article rattled off 11 high minors/high impact pitchers that other orgs covet but I’m being lead to believe that we have no pitching in the organization.  Strange.  

It looks to me like the wave of pitching talent will be hitting next year & 2026.  I’d be OK parting with some guys to fill the gap this year and next year.  I’d hate to do it but if De Leon is the guy I need to included to get 2.5 years of a premium talent, I’d pull the trigger.   

Would Kjerstad, Norby, Bradfield, De Leon be enough for Skubal? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I don't believe the Giants will seriously consider dealing Snell.

On the timeline of several years, the story of the Giants has been their inability to get top players to take their money.     They had that one magic season, and hoped to use San Fran revenues to build on it.     No one until Snell took their money.     It would be a bad look to A list players to ship that guy out right away.

I think they will hope to get to try for Soto the same as they tried for Judge even if LAD-NYM-NYY-WSN are the top of Boras' speed dial.

Giants attendance is off roughly ~10k per game from pre-covid .500 teams; now some of that can be attributed to issues with the city-but they NEED to put fans back in the stands.  They are around $160m committed for next year so they can add payroll-I don't see their motivation for moving him other than buyer's remorse.  

I'm confused as to why some think the Orioles would be paying his entire salary of $15m for 2024-they should only pay the prorated portion of the season which would be $6m.  They would be responsible for the additional $38.5m for 2025.

Edited by SemperFi

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

This is a no for me …Foley is a no interest guy for me …1.3-1.4 WHIP.

Agree. Foley has 3 years of control left after this season and a career 3.20 ERA, so Sherman is certainly thinking he has value in this trade. If the Orioles are throwing in Kierstad for a controlled reliever in the deal though, I’d much rather it be Will Vest. If not, just take out Foley and add 2-3 other pieces besides Kjerstad. 

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

This article rattled off 11 high minors/high impact pitchers that other orgs covet but I’m being lead to believe that we have no pitching in the organization.  Strange.  

It looks to me like the wave of pitching talent will be hitting next year & 2026.  I’d be OK parting with some guys to fill the gap this year and next year.  I’d hate to do it but if De Leon is the guy I need to included to get 2.5 years of a premium talent, I’d pull the trigger.   

Would Kjerstad, Norby, Bradfield, De Leon be enough for Skubal? 

Whenever Skubals name is brought up in a trade with Os, it will be for one of the big 3….if not there will not be a deal.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I would rather Elias makes an early move.  At least pick up a good reliever.  It seemed like too much got left till the very end last year and the O's lost out on a chance at Ed Rod.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

It is kind of an easy litmus test - do you feel better about "X" starting game 3 than Dean Kremer?

Tyler Anderson doesn't do it for me.

Suarez, Kremer, Povich and McDermott give a bunch of puzzle pieces to MacGyver stuff together once through the order at a time if an obviously stronger top of rotation option cannot be acquired.

It might feel a little dehumanizing to Chayce McDermott if he gets instructions to throw his best breaking ball towards the heart of the strike zone 50 straight times, but it is just math.    He is 26 next month and been training for this his whole baseball life.

Depending on the pitcher acquired they could be a Game #2 starter which is probably the most ideal set up/scenario (Skubal, maybe Crochet).

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

This is a no for me …Foley is a no interest guy for me …1.3-1.4 WHIP.

No for me also.  I'm not opposed to giving up one of the big three as the centerpiece of a Skubal trade, but Kjerstad should be close to an everyday player for the O's the rest of this season and beyond.  We're trying to win this year.  Who replaces him if we trade him?