The 2024 Trade Deadline

9 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

I…wow. Apparently Mateo not lost for the season.

Ligament issues won’t come across on an X-ray.

That said, it may be one of those looks worse than it really is type things.  Hyperextended it.

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

That's absurd.  Taillon would immediately be our third best starter, by far.  His peripherals are not great but his FIP is still 3.79.  He averages almost 6 innings per start.  I'd rather have Fedde, but given the limited supply of available starters we can't just dismiss someone like Taillon as garbage.  

He is signed for another 2 years and he’s not cheap..and he’s not that good.

zero interest in him.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He is signed for another 2 years and he’s not cheap..and he’s not that good.

zero interest in him.

The Cubs would almost certainly pay down the cost in a deal. To say he's not that good... who are you comparing him to? He's closer to Grayson Rodriguez than Dean Kremer.  

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We just saw Miami shut us down with their 3 high end lefty relievers. We should be bringing at least one of those with us after this series.

If we could get Nardi and Puk , that would be great. Scott’s walk issues but too much for my liking . 

4 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Why, so they have to spend more in FA to replace him? If Taillon was a FA after 2024 he'd get more than the 2/36 left on his contract.

I seriously doubt this.  He's overpaid, IMO.  My guess is the Cubs will have to eat some of what's owed if they trade Taillon.  Decent pitcher, but not a guy I'd give up any assets for plus pay that kind of money.

19 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

If we could get Nardi and Puk , that would be great. Scott’s walk issues but too much for my liking . 

Yes, I would prefer the other 2 over Scott as well…of course, the ability to have them past this year is the biggest reason there.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, I would prefer the other 2 over Scott as well…of course, the ability to have them past this year is the biggest reason there.

I knew Scott is a rental but the other two guys are not ?  Now I prefer them even more 

24 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I seriously doubt this.  He's overpaid, IMO.  My guess is the Cubs will have to eat some of what's owed if they trade Taillon.  Decent pitcher, but not a guy I'd give up any assets for plus pay that kind of money.

He has a 3.34 ERA over his last 188 2/3IP dating back to July 1st of 2023, that's before tonight's game. I'm saying he should command a top 50 guy, but to act like he's a salary dump is just foolishness.

10 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Wicked , I be glad to have them . Question , what would it cost to get them  ?   Any of RMC , Cedric or Urias ? 

Mounty could be of use to them if they want to contend next year but I would think they would want younger, cheaper and more cost controlled assets.