The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

"I don't want him for free", so yeah pretty much.

No not at all…he just not a guy I want for the next 2 years making the money he does. He’s not someone I would trade assets for, roster and pay his salary. I feel like guys like him are available every offseason and you don’t have to give up anything to get them.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mounty could be of use to them if they want to contend next year but I would think they would want younger, cheaper and more cost controlled assets.

Sure , that could work as long it’s not the big 4 

8 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

With Mateo very likely done for the season, Elias is going to have to pivot away from Skubal/aces and pursue a #3 SP along with relievers, which is something I would want him to do anyway.

Holliday will be off the table since he's now SS depth the major league team needs for this season, and I'd be quite surprised if he's not called up tomorrow since he's the only legitimate emergency SS option after Jordan Westburg. Connor Norby also becomes even more important to the O's as infield depth as well.

Kjerstad is now Elias's biggest realistic trade chip, but I hope Elias holds onto him. Kjerstad is more valuable than any realistic #3 SP trade target, and to put Kjerstad in a trade for a Skubal type, the other team is going to want Mayo or Basallo added. That's way too much. Keep Kjerstad.

Elias should use Stowers, Mountcastle/O'Hearn, Mullins, Bradfield, Beavers, Povich, McDermott as trade chips to get as much pitching help as he can. Mateo's injury actually accelerates this team reaching its offensive ceiling, as Holliday, Mayo, and Norby are all now closer to contributing to the major league team. And I'm confident each one of those prospects are going to be considerably more valuable than Mateo and Urias were/are. 

Sounds like it’s Norby on his way to the team. I never thought we were trading for Skubal but don’t get what Mateo has to do with his approach at starting pitching.

The reality is that we need a game 2 option from,

Slubal, Corchet, Snell, Fedde, and Eflin

then a game 4 option from 

Kikuchi, Montas, Anderson

We might also want to check in on Luis Robert. We also need a high leverage reliever like Estevez, Scott, etc…

Crap is going to be expensive if we really want to sure up the roster and “go for it”. If Elias doesn’t think this is the year for that, keep in mind that we’ve already invested Joey Ortiz and DL Hall into this one season. 

What does our farm system look like if we acquire,

Skubal/Snell, Montas, Robert, and Estevez/Scott?

Maybe just one of the big 3 left with a lot of the 2nd and 3rd tier guys gone. Likely losing one of Cowser/Kjerstad off the MLB roster as well. 

Winning is expensive. We choose not to spend in terms of money.

So we are, where we are. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The reality is that we need a game 2 option from,

Slubal, Corchet, Snell, Fedde, and Eflin

then a game 4 option from 

Kikuchi, Montas, Anderson

We might also want to check in on Luis Robert. We also need a high leverage reliever like Estevez, Scott, etc…

Crap is going to be expensive if we really want to sure up the roster and “go for it”. If Elias doesn’t think this is the year for that, keep in mind that we’ve already invested Joey Ortiz and DL Hall into this one season. 

I can’t believe what I’m reading …Montas blows. He has a near 5 erawith a 1.36 whip. He’s not better than what we have. Kikuchi is just as bad with some Ks sprinkled in. It’s like trading clubs for spades. Anderson is an upgrade that would be worth exploring.

Anderson is a 1.1+ WHIP pitcher averaging 6 1/3 innings per start . He has a sub 3 ERA. Guys don’t like him because he’s not a strikeout guy.

Edited by Roll Tide

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I can’t believe what I’m reading …Montas blows. He has a near 5 erawith a 1.36 whip. He’s not better than what we have. Kikuchi is just as bad with some Ks sprinkled in. It’s like trading clubs for spades. Anderson is an upgrade that would be worth exploring.

They “blow” as a #4 SP? Who do you want?  Our in house options aren’t looking so hot.   We need two SP. A #2 and a #4.

What’s the hot take here?

We’ve lost Bradish, Means, and Wells, to TJ.

Irvin, Suarez, and Povich, are no longer effective. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They “blow” as a #4 SP? Who do you want?  Our in house options aren’t looking so hot.   We need two SP. A #2 and a #4.

What’s the hot take here?

We’ve lost Bradish, Means, and Wells, to TJ.

Irvin, Suarez, and Povich, are no longer effective. 

2 of Fedde, Anderson, Scherzer, Bassitt, Eflin or some other sub 3.5 starter that we don’t know that’s available. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What does our farm system look like if we acquire,

Skubal/Snell, Montas, Robert, and Estevez/Scott?

Maybe just one of the big 3 left with a lot of the 2nd and 3rd tier guys gone. Likely losing one of Cowser/Kjerstad off the MLB roster as well. 

Winning is expensive. We choose not to spend in terms of money.

So we are, where we are. 

We don’t need to acquire 2x starters and zero chance we add a bat like Robert.

Tuesday can’t come soon enough…

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

We don’t need to acquire 2x starters and zero chance we add a bat like Robert.

Tuesday can’t come soon enough…

Suarez has a 4.40 ERA, 4.87 xFIP, and 1.53 WHIP while averaging 4.2 IP per start since re-entering the rotation in May. Not only has he been bad, but every time he pitches the bullpen is likely having to go 4+ innings. I don’t know about you, but I have zero interest in having him start against teams like HOU, CLE, BOS, LAD, NYY, MIN, or LAD the next 2 months. 

It’s very annoying we’ve lost our 2.4,5 starters for about 2 months now and we are waiting until last minute to do something. Seems like we wait for the other teams to break and lower their offers. ME keeps repeating the market hasn’t been defined yet. There are more than 5 absolute sellers right now with no chance to make the post season this year.

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

It’s very annoying we’ve lost our 2.4,5 starters for about 2 months now and we are waiting until last minute to do something. Seems like we wait for the other teams to break and lower their offers. ME keeps repeating the market hasn’t been defined yet. There are more than 5 absolute sellers right now with no chance to make the post season this year.

The word you are looking for is percolate.

It's a tradition.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

We need pitching.  If we can get Woo or Hancock from them, great. 

I just have my doubts that we can because I don’t think Mounty and/or Mullins has that type of value.

However, do they have enough value to land us some high leverage relief help?  Yea I think they do. Obviously not a guy like Miller but potentially a guy like Nardi?  Maybe Detmers and Estevez?  Players like that?  Yea I think so.

I don’t know about the Angels because they’re pretty stupid but I’m 99.9% sure that the Marlins have ZERO interest in players like Mullins and Mountcastle.

• Haha 1