The 2024 Trade Deadline

I’m skeptical the Orioles will be the high bidder for Scott or Estevez. Just doesn’t seem like the Elias approach to the bullpen.

But I do think Mountcastle for Bednar makes a ton of sense for both teams. PIT has a good pen but they desperately need offense and 1B/DH. And Mountcastle is more than a rental - same years of control as Bednar. I don’t think PIT wants to go all in as buyers but they want to do something to improve this year’s team.

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Can anyone understand why Jerry Dipoto is trading Ryne Stanek to Steve Cohen's Mets when Seattle has had DFA fodder like Michael Baumann in their 7th inning role in the last month or two?

I can almost feel a Mountcastle or Mullins for Luis Castillo conversation in progress.

Mountcastle and O'Hearn vs. the Tampa pair of Yandy Diaz and Isaac Paredes perhaps a compare/contrast available to 1B needy teams like the Mariners and Astros.

Mike Elias breaking Austin Hays ice probably intensifies anxiety in the Mountcastle/O'Hearn/Mullins section of the roster.

Big picture it seems with yesterday's work Elias is a lot closer to success in retaining the Top 9 long term bats - Adley, Basallo, Holliday, Gunnar, Westburg, Cowser, EBJ, Kjerstad and Mayo.      There aren't that many more trailers to sit through before the movie actually starts.

Hmm. Mountcastle for Castillo is not particularly realistic. We'd have to add some major prospect capital.

I also wonder if we'd deal another veteran from this roster after Hays. I get the sense Hyde is a veteran biased manager and doesn't love a team of all young players. 

11 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Hmm. Mountcastle for Castillo is not particularly realistic. We'd have to add some major prospect capital.

I also wonder if we'd deal another veteran from this roster after Hays. I get the sense Hyde is a veteran biased manager and doesn't love a team of all young players. 

Depends on money.    The Guggenheim Partners and David Rubenstein's group perhaps in a better spot than Dipoto's bosses.

Luis Castillo getting wilted isn't worth much more than his remaining contract if he isn't underwater.     Any underwater contract, you or I could sign a 1-day contract with the Orioles Rex Barney style to get to be traded for a famous and highly compensated ballplayer.

I call Manny Machado, in case this group needs an NL Hall of Famer to teach them how to win.

21 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I’m skeptical the Orioles will be the high bidder for Scott or Estevez. Just doesn’t seem like the Elias approach to the bullpen.

But I do think Mountcastle for Bednar makes a ton of sense for both teams. PIT has a good pen but they desperately need offense and 1B/DH. And Mountcastle is more than a rental - same years of control as Bednar. I don’t think PIT wants to go all in as buyers but they want to do something to improve this year’s team.

Bednar is from Pittsburgh.  Very popular.   I don’t see it.   Besides, a LH reliever would be perfect.   Tanner Scott is a perfect fit.    Agree, that it hasn’t been Elias’ approach so far.   

On 7/10/2024 at 10:57 AM, wildcard said:

Elias said that Tampa would not trade Glasnow to the O's or anyone in the Division.    He seemed to say that is the norm in the AL EAST.  Call it stupid if you want but that is what Elias is dealing with.

So much for that myth.  

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Crochet saying he would need a contract extension to pitch on October. I didn't realize guys could boycott the playoffs for contract purposes.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/garrett-crochet-trade-rumors-white-sox-ace-could-demand-contract-extension-if-he-lands-with-contender/

Says he won’t take a break and won’t move to the bullpen and says he would need an extension to pitch in October. Sounds to me like his value just went down. Maybe he knows his body better than anyone else but if an organization is trying to protect your health and their investment it seems arrogant to dismiss their wants for you and the team. 

Blue Jays selling off multiple years of control talented pitcher Nate Pearson to the Cubs on the same afternoon news comes out that Ricky Tiedemann needs Tommy John surgery.

Are folks still hungry for Bassitt after Eflin?

Is Eve Rosenbaum a bad employee if she's wondering if she could get more professional opportunity with Toronto?

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Jazz Chisholm to NYY for 3 prospects.

Named most overrated player in MLB in a poll of other players.

So naturally he will become a .850 OPS monster once he gets on whatever juice the Yankees give their players.  Not implying cheating but rather that weird bump so many players get from playing in pinstripes.