The 2024 Trade Deadline

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Probably someone who will OPS above .600.

Yeah.  I'm sure we all hope Mullins and Hays can finally break free of their troubles, and Hays has shown signs, but if they still stink this bad in late July, a change/addition may indeed be coming.  I would be very disappointed, however, if that addition was Pham.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yeah.  I'm sure we all hope Mullins and Hays can finally break free of their troubles, and Hays has shown signs, but if they still stink this bad in late July, a change/addition may indeed be coming.  I would be very disappointed, however, if that addition was Pham.

Cowser needs to start hitting again as well, but he'll get a long leash. I think they want another RHB in the OF.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Cowser needs to start hitting again as well, but he'll get a long leash. I think they want another RHB in the OF.

I've brought up the Angels' Taylor Ward multiple times, as he could be a fit.  However, I suspect Elias will stick it out with Hays and Mullins.  We'll see soon enough.

Edited by Greg Pappas

If we target an outfielder we are basically saying one (if not both) of Hays and Mullins are cooked. I'm not sure what the corresponding move would be, but it'd be an interested development in the transition from the old heads to the new guys.

57 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Jim Bowden behind the $ paywall on TheAthletic.com: Thirty things I’m hearing and watching for on MLB trade deadline with 50 days to go

No way do I add Pham to this clubhouse.  

A RH CF option would be the type of move that we would make if there was still an Aug 31 waivers trade deadline. I don’t know if we have the 26 man spot to carry that through August. 

19 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

We did wonderful! Judge wasn't hitting at all at that time. Do you have confidence that Webb will retire the ninth inning like he did the last time that we played.

Is that what you want to rest our hopes on "anything can happen"?

I’m just pointing out that our bullpen has done a pretty good job to date, especially against the Yankees.  Virtually nobody has shut them down, but we did. 

I have stated elsewhere that I’d like to add another good back end reliever.   But the odds that we add personnel that make our bullpen as good or better than the Yankees’ are minimal.  The Yankees’ bullpen is very, very good.   And has been very, very good almost every single year dating back to when Mariano Rivera was a set-up man.   It’s one thing the Yankees have always done extremely well, both developing big arms in-house and spending money like only they (and the Dodgers) can on FA relievers.   

The bullpen has been great, but are they fine regular season options versus postseason?  How much are we wearing them down? 

Teams turnover their pens sometimes each season. We definitely will need some replacements/upgrades for the stretch run.  Not just for the playoffs, but just to get us through the regular season.

Coloumbe going down, and if he’s out for the seasons, opens the door for us needing 2-3 relievers now. 

Instead of buying the sexy name in Mason Miller, we might have to get three arms for a similar price. 

Teams that don't by design have 6-deep bullpens where everybody throws 20%+ K-bb can sometimes end up just riding 3 guys as Bochy did with Leclerc, Aroldis and Sborz last fall.

Soto and Gunnar do put some spice in BAL-NYY competition for top relievers.    They could end up getting 20-25% of the team's work against that guy in a 5-game series, or even 40-50% if you push for two ~Helsley level acquisitions (not that anyone in the NL is out of it as of mid-June).

I believe in 2014 a competitor for Andrew Miller was eventual playoff opponent DET.

Nothing crazy here but Rosenthal wrote this in The Athletic this morning: 

The Orioles are intently exploring the bullpen market and still could pursue a right-handed hitting outfielder. In addition, general manager Mike Elias is telling clubs he will weigh the addition of a starting pitcher perhaps up to the deadline, according to sources briefed on his discussions.

Elias likely would move on a starter only if he needed one for health and/or performance reasons. A front three of Corbin Burnes, Kyle Bradish and Grayson Rodriguez in the postseason would be formidable. But the Orioles already have lost two starters, lefty John Means and righty Tyler Wells, to season-ending elbow surgeries. Righty Dean Kremer currently is out with a right triceps strain as well.