The 2024 Trade Deadline

I think overall, this trade deadline activity may have made us a worst team. They broke up the team chemistry for marginal (if I'm optimistic) skill difference, at best. But I really think overall, the only improvement was with the acquisition of Zach Eflin. Everywhere else I feel like they just replaced players with lesser players and diminished our organization's over all depth.

I also think team chemistry has been sacrificed because all these guys had been together for years to build strong friendships, and we don't know how the new personalities will mesh in the clubhouse.

Talent wise, it's a wash. If I'm optimistic.

Clubhouse wise, you're gambling.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I think overall, this trade deadline activity may have made us a worst team. They broke up the team chemistry for marginal (if I'm optimistic) skill difference, at best. But I really think overall, the only improvement was with the acquisition of Zach Eflin. Everywhere else I feel like they just replaced players with lesser players and diminished our organization's over all depth.

I also think team chemistry has been sacrificed because all these guys had been together for years to build strong friendships, and we don't know how the new personalities will mesh in the clubhouse.

How did they break up the team chemistry? By trading Norby and Stowers?

11 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would have liked to have traded for Garcia from the Blue Jays.  He had a sub 3 ERA and a high K rate.  I would have rather had him than Soto--would have cost more. 

I mean you got me there. Yimi was my boy the whole deadline. But would Toronto trade within the division?  Maybe not. 

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I get where you are coming from.

But conversely this is the one season where you have Corbin Burnes under control. And who is to say that there won't be injuries next year or in any future year?

I think the injuries and to a lesser extent the poor play the past few weeks tempered Elias’ go for it mentality. 

that said I do love everyone we traded for has team control. We also took on a decent amount of salary which is a great sign going forward and for free agent season. 

27 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

He’s not wrong in saying we needed a big arm in the BP though. We just can’t rely on Kimbrel.

He picked up a RHP and LHP for the pen that throw 98+. Does that count as big arms?

5 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

All the moves made some sense to me besides Jimenez. Hays was the only core player moved (although he wasn’t one this year) but he seemed unhappy and Dominguez will be more valuable going forward to the team.

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

They broke up team chemistry how?  By trading Austin Hays?  The bullpen should be much better than at least since Coulombe went down, and the rotation is clearly better than since Bradish went down.  This team had to trade away surplus bats for more pitching.  You may not be thrilled with the arms we got in return, but I don't see how team chemistry is any issue.  It's not like the team traded Mountcastle.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I mean you got me there. Yimi was my boy the whole deadline. But would Toronto trade within the division?  Maybe not. 

Garcia is a rental. I'm glad we have options for the pen for next year.

6 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I’m guessing he means Hays? Irvin?

But also I’m guessing a few more guys are gonna be out the door to accommodate Soto/Slater/Eloy.

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Hays was best friends and former roommates with Mullins. They had been together since the beginning, and I imagine he was like a mentor to some of the younger players too.

Stowers was in a clique and best friends with guys like Rutschman, Gunnar, Mountcastle, and a few others. They were basically all a unit with 3 of them having been in the same draft class and coming up together, and sharing rooms/living together. The team gelled.

There are certain players who are like peanut butter and jelly together, and when you add their positive vibes to the rest of the clubhouse with other buds, altogether it creates a very good positive environment to compete with confidence as a team. They're always able to see things happening in the game and comfortable enough with one another trust each other enough to recommend any necessary adjustments.

• Haha 1

Things Elias did this deadline,

- Kept the big 3

- Got two SP

- Got two RP

- Got a LH SP

- Enters next season with a rotation of Grayson, Eflin, Rogers, Kremer, Suarez with Povich/McDermort as depth. 

- Eloy is a replacement option for Santa in 25’. 

- Slater is a direct replacement for Hays

- Soto was a two time all star closer

- Got SS depth for AAA

- Pache is a RH CF to Platoon with Mullins/Cowser

- if Burnes and/or Santa leave we get 1st rd comp picks.

He got us a bullpen. Role players for the postseason. Starters. Oh and everyone acquired we can bring back next year other than Slater. 

Elias deserves a can of coke. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 4

The amount of terrible takes in this and other threads is astounding. How anyone can look at adding two SP and two RP - all badly needed - and only subtracting basically Hays from the ML roster, and then say we haven’t improved?  I mean what are you even looking at if that’s your take?  You really wanted to keep Baker and Irvin in the BP?  Povich and Suárez in the rotation?  Huh?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Hays was best friends and former roommates with Mullins. They had been together since the beginning, and I imagine he was like a mentor to some of the younger players too.

Stowers was in a clique and best friends with guys like Rutschman, Gunnar, Mountcastle, and a few others. They were basically all a unit with 3 of them having been in the same draft class and coming up together, and sharing rooms/living together. The team gelled.

There are certain players who are like peanut butter and jelly together, and when you add their positive vibes to the rest of the clubhouse with other buds, altogether it creates a very good positive environment to compete with confidence as a team. They're always able to see things happening in the game and comfortable enough with one another trust each other enough to recommend any necessary adjustments.

Don’t you think the O’s giving Stowers a chance to play for the Marlins rather then Norfolk is a positive for everyone?

• Upvote 1

I said after the Marlins series that Elias needed to shake things up as there seemed to be a stagnant feeling about the team at least to me. The team almost seemed to be somewhat coasting. Change can be a good thing. Now it’s up to Hyde to get the most out of all these new parts. 

Norby and Stowers are simply prospects that have not yet proven to be guaranteed studs in the bigs.  I understand there’s always a risk we may regret them leaving but I highly doubt it. 

For those complaining about giving up what we did for Rogers, you can put this on Elias. We could have got more than Burnes before the start of the season but instead he gambled that Means, Bradish and Wells would stay healthy all year!  Big mistake.