The 2024 Trade Deadline

5 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I would think Elias would contact Tigers GM to inquire about Skubal  . And see what players we have that Tigers are interested in .  

I’d be hesitant to give up too much for Skubal 2021 is the only season where’s he come close to making 30 starts. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Question: What would you be willing to trade for Detroit's ace Tarik Skubal? Skubal (27), while an excellent starter, has never thrown more than 149.1 innings in his career, doing it just once in 2021. Since then, he's thrown 117.2 and 80.1 in '22 & '23 and 86 IP thus far this season. The flexor tendon injury was the cause of the drop in IP in '22 & '23. He looks great this season and will likely exceed his prior high of 149.1 IP if he remains healthy.  He has 2.5 years of control remaining.

Detroit is 6.5 GB in the wild card race and has very little hope of making the playoffs.  They need a lot, especially offensively. 

What sort of offer do you think you'd make that could get the Tigers to bite?  Would you rather look elsewhere and pay less?

Elias should most definitely be on the phone.  Skubal would be a great fit but it would take a painful offer.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’d be hesitant to give up too much for Skubal 2021 is the only season where’s he come close to making 30 starts. 

Agree - I have been shell-shocked on pitching in the past few weeks

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Osornot said:

Elias should most definitely be on the phone.  Skubal would be a great fit but it would take a painful offer.  

I’d have to balk at Mayo or Basallo, but I’m willing to risk prospects below their level to land Skubal. Tigers would still make out well in a trade getting multiple players for Skubal who has only pitched over 100 innings twice in his career. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 2

Rangers are looking like a sunk ship. What about a buy low hope for high results in Scherzer? Obviously need to see how he looks in his comeback starting this weekend and if the Rangers do sell. Something to look at though. 

Regarding looking at dealing for Estevez from the Angels; last year the D'Backs traded for the Mariners closer, Paul Sewald. Here's the deal:

D-backs get: RHP Paul Sewald
Mariners get: INF Josh Rojas, OF/1B Dominic Canzone (Arizona's No. 19 prospect) and INF Ryan Bliss (No. 29 prospect)

Sewald (33) was dealt with another year of control, and Estevez is a FA after this season, so the comp is not exactly fair.  Rojas (30) is a decent infielder, having a career best year thus far, posting a .737 OPS.   The D'Backs system is worse than ours, so using this example, this looks like we wouldn't have to give up much to get Estevez.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nite said:

Rangers are looking like a sunk ship. What about a buy low hope for high results in Scherzer? Obviously need to see how he looks in his comeback starting this weekend and if the Rangers do sell. Something to look at though. 

Depends on Scherzer’s health, but I would be open to it. The Mets are already paying half his contract this year. If the Orioles let the Rangers off the hook for the remainder this season then Scherzer shouldn’t cost much prospect wise. 

With Rubenstein as owner these types of deals should be considered. If Scherzer can still pitch then I’d rather overpay for him over giving up top prospects for another pitching rental. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Nite said:

I was just about to post the same thing. He's a straight rental, I don't think he'd cost that much given his age, injury, and upcoming FA. We really need to revamp our rotation for next year, but I suppose we can worry about that this offseason. Side note- I like targeting Max Fried this offseason if we are willing to hand out a reasonable contract (and not the $ Burnes will want/get).

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’d have to balk at Mayo or Basallo, but I’m willing to risk prospects below their level to land Skubal. Tigers would still make out well in a trade getting multiple players for Skubal who has only pitched over 100 innings twice in his career. 

To be fair, the flexor tendon injury in 2022 came when he was well on his way to besting his 149.1 IP high from 2021.  It also ate into the following season's IP as well, as he just came back from recovering.  

• Upvote 1

Would Bellinger of the Cubs be available? Cubs are last place and Bellinger has all the players options ahead. He'd be the CF upgrade we are looking for. I'm also intrigued by Mark leiter jr in their bullpen 

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Norby or Stowers feels like too much to give for a half a season of Estevez.  I considered Fabian.  It's never easy trying to figure out what makes sense. :)

I’m not trading anything but throw aways for rentals. I think Elias should spend his resources on controllable guys. 

27 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Would Bellinger of the Cubs be available? Cubs are last place and Bellinger has all the players options ahead. He'd be the CF upgrade we are looking for. I'm also intrigued by Mark leiter jr in their bullpen 

I was going to say we don't need another LH bat, but he has crushed lefties this year. I feel like his name value will be more expensive than he'd actually add though.

If the Rangers aren't looking to stay in it, I'd be on the phone with them about Kirby Yates. He's 37, not much of a history of being elite, but he has excellent numbers this year. You wouldn't need to sell the farm for him like guys like Mason Miller (unproven) and Helsley. But if we want a long-term relief arm, I'd much rather Helsley over Mason Miller, tbh. 

I'd stay on the phone with them about Scherzer.

Edited by LookitsPuck

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Maybe they’d have an interest in Norby or Stowers. I believe Norby is going to be a plus bat first hitter. The question has to be if they have a place for him to play.

Estevez's peripherals aren't that great and he has a lackluster history. He profiles as more of a Tier 3 reliever acquisition, so giving up Norby or Stowers would be way overpaying for him.