DSL Orioles 2024

RZNJ

Good news.  Keeler Morfe is back in action after not pitching for 3 weeks.  Perhaps just some extra rest coming off his 4 inning, dominant outing.  Our two DSL teams playing each other today.  Great pitching matchup between Morfe and 17 yo Esteban Mejia, who reportedly throws 92-95.  Mejia had some control issues and exited after 1.2 IP with only 1 hit, but 3 walks and 3 runs.  Morfe, perfect thru 2.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Good news.  Keeler Morfe is back in action after not pitching for 3 weeks.  Perhaps just some extra rest coming off his 4 inning, dominant outing.  Our two DSL teams playing each other today.  Great pitching matchup between Morfe and 17 yo Esteban Mejia, who reportedly throws 92-95.  Mejia had some control issues and exited after 1.2 IP with only 1 hit, but 3 walks and 3 runs.  Morfe, perfect thru 2.

If the height/weight are real, my mind is completely blown that someone 5'8 168 lbs can throw 99 MPH.  That's totally insane.

They should probably try to make him a reliever.  I can't imagine his body/arm would hold up throwing that hard for multiple innings....

7 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

If the height/weight are real, my mind is completely blown that someone 5'8 168 lbs can throw 99 MPH.  That's totally insane.

They should probably try to make him a reliever.  I can't imagine his body/arm would hold up throwing that hard for multiple innings....

I think Sonny Gray is 5’10. He’s a young kid and should put on weight. Yes the odds are against him.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I think Sonny Gray is 5’10. He’s a young kid and should put on weight. Yes the odds are against him.

Tom “Flash” Gordon wasn’t a big guy.  He was a starter and then a reliever but he was a ML starter.   Listed at 5’9 160 and was obviously probably more like 180-185 as a ML.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gordoto01.shtml

Edited by RZNJ

With only 18 days left in the DSL regular season, I think we can say pretty definitively that the O’s 2024 teams are the strongest that the Elias regime has produced, by a wide margin.  DSL Orange sits atop the DSL Northwest Division at 29-14, one game up on the Brewers 1 affiliate at 26-13.   They are tied for the 4th best record in the DSL, and appear likely to grab one of two wild card spots even if the Brewers team catches them for the division title.   Orange features a young, strong offense, averaging 6.53 runs/game, 5th of the 51 DSL teams, and 6th in OPS at .771.   The average age if theit batters is 17.3, 10th youngest of the 51 teams (league average age for position players is 17.7).  The pitchers have the 7th lowest ERA at 3.69,  and their 4.80 runs allowed per game is 11th.  However, the pitchers are a tad above league aversge age at 18.8, 36th of the 5 teams (league average for pitchers is 18.6).

You might think that the Orange team is so good because all the Orioles’ DSL talent is stacked on one team, but that’s not the case.   Orioles Black is a very respectable 20-22.  They are 25th in R/G at 5.26, 18th in OPS at .707, while the players average 17.6 years old, 27th.  The pitchers are 38th in ERA at 5.52 and 41st in runs per 8 at 6.85.  They average 18.8 years old, 34th youngest of the 51 tesns.   

Just a quick comparison with past DSL teams of the Elias era:

2019: 34-36; 28-34 [8 under .500 combined]

2020: DNP

2021: 13-39; 25-30 [31 games under]

2022: 26-34; 23-34 [19 games under]

2023: 35-19; 20-35 [1 game over]

2024 to date: 29-14; 20-22 [13 games over]

Superficially it might seem that the 2019 tesns were better than the 2021-22 versions, but the 2019 teams were among the oldest in the DSL.

Anyway, here’s hoping that Orange can win their division and make a deep playoff run, and that our 2024 DSL talent  can come stateside in 2025 and produce the first winning FCL team of the Elias era.   (The 2019 GCL O’s went 38-15, but they were laughably old.)

• Upvote 3

A few notes from today’s DSL games:

- Orioles Black one-hit Red Sox Red today, led by 17-year old Esteban Mejia, who threw 4 no-hit innings, walking 2 while striking out 7 (and one HBP).   On the season, in 21.2 IP. he has a 3.32 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 14.5 K/9 and 3.2 K/BB.

- Orioles Orange topped Cleveland-Mendoza 4-2.   Starter Keeler Morfe (18) threw 3 innings, allowing an earned run on two hits and two walks, striking out 5.   On the year, in 22 IP, he has an 0.82 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 15.6 K/9, 4.6 K/BB.

- Stiven Martinez, who was out since July 23, returned to CF, going 1 for 3 before being replaced in the late innings.

Posted (edited)

It’s going to be interesting to see if any of this years HS kids skip FCL and start at Delmarva next year or if guys like Jordan Sanchez do.   Otherwise we are going to either hold back a lot of DSL players for an extra year because we’ll have too many players to fit onto one FCL roster.

We have some repeat DSL players that have earned the promotion.

1. Adriander Mejia  C

2. Jose Mejia 2B

3.  Luis Guevara INF

4.  Felix Amparo

5. Junior Aybar CF

6. Juan Ortega C

We have some 17 yo who look deserving

1. Elvin Garcia

2. Jemone Nuel

3. Stiven Martínez (actually still 16)

Then we have 18 yo Cuban, Jordan Sanchez 

Then the 17 yo players on the bubble including #1 bonus guy

1. Emilio Sanchez SS

2. Hector Campusano INF

3. Alexander Rincón CF

Then you’ve got some FCL guys who maybe aren’t ready for Delmarva and should return to FCL

1. Luis Almeyda SS

2. Joshua Liranzo 3B

3. Raylin Ramos OF

Then we have our 4 2024 HS players

1. D.J Layton SS

2. Nate George OF

3. Andrew Tess C

4. Braylon Whitaker OF

Where they all wind up next year is your guess and mine.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It’s going to be interesting to see if any of this years HS kids skip FCL and start at Delmarva next year or if guys like Jordan Sanchez do.   Otherwise we are going to either hold back a lot of DSL players for an extra year because we’ll have too many players to fit onto one FCL roster.

1. Adriander Mejia  C

2. Jose Mejia 2B

3.  Luis Guevara INF

4.  Felix Amparo

5. Junior Aybar CF

6. Juan Ortega C

1. Elvin Garcia

2. Jemone Nuel

1. Emilio Sanchez SS

2. Hector Campusano INF

3. Alexander Rincón CF

Then you’ve got some FCL guys who maybe aren’t ready for Delmarva and should return to FCL

1. Luis Almeyda SS

2. Joshua Liranzo 3B

3. Raylin Ramos OF

1. D.J Layton SS

2. Nate George OF

3. Andrew Tess C

4. Braylon Whitaker OF

Good problem to have. We seem to be very crowded especially in lower minors. Maybe that will push guys like Honeycutt, O’ferral, and Anderson right to Aberdeen. 

Just now, Rbiggs2525 said:

Good problem to have. We seem to be very crowded especially in lower minors. Maybe that will push guys like Honeycutt, O’ferral, and Anderson right to Aberdeen. 

Bradfield (1), Horvath (2), Josenberger (3), Etzel (10), Vazquez (20) were all 2023 draftees who started this year in Aberdeen so, yeah, I expect Honeycutt, O’Ferrall, Anderson, and Overn, all to start the 2025 season in Aberdeen.

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2024 at 2:59 PM, RZNJ said:

1. Adriander Mejia  C

2. Jose Mejia 2B

3.  Luis Guevara INF

4.  Felix Amparo

5. Junior Aybar CF

6. Juan Ortega C

1. Elvin Garcia

2. Jemone Nuel

1. Emilio Sanchez SS

2. Hector Campusano INF

3. Alexander Rincón CF

1. Luis Almeyda SS

2. Joshua Liranzo 3B

3. Raylin Ramos OF

1. D.J Layton SS

2. Nate George OF

3. Andrew Tess C

4. Braylon Whitaker OF

I think Jordan Sanchez (19) as the most likely to skip the FCL, but Elias has never done that before. Frederick Bencosme is probably the closest and was also 1i when he barely played in the FCL before getting his Delmarva promotion.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Impressive starts by pitchers

8/5. Adrian Heredia. (19)   6 IP.  1 H.   0 Runs.  0 BB.   11 K.   ERA (1.98)

7/6. Keeler Morfe (18).  4 IP.  0 H.  1 BB, 9 K.  ERA (0.82)

7/17 Luis Espinoza (17). 4 IP.  2 H.  0 BB, 6 K. ERA (2.83)

8/3 Esteban Mejia (17) 4 IP.  0 H, 2 BB, 7 K  ERA (3.32)

7/23 Esteban Luna (17) 4 IP.  2 H, 2 BB, 6 K.  ERA (1.72)

7/26 Kevin Velasco (18) 4 IP 4 H.  1 BB.  7 K. ERA (1.41)

Edited by RZNJ

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Impressive starts by pitchers

8/5. Adrian Heredia. (19)   6 IP.  1 H.   0 Runs.  0 BB.   11 K.   ERA (1.98)

7/6. Keeler Morfe (18).  4 IP.  0 H.  1 BB, 9 K.  ERA (0.82)

7/17 Luis Espinoza (17). 4 IP.  2 H.  0 BB, 6 K. ERA (2.83)

8/3 Esteban Mejia (17) 4 IP.  0 H, 2 BB, 7 K  ERA (3.32)

7/23 Esteban Luna (17) 4 IP.  2 H, 2 BB, 6 K.  ERA (1.72)

7/26 Kevin Velasco (18) 4 IP 4 H.  1 BB.  7 K. ERA (1.41)

That outing today from Heredia was unbelievable.  He’s a little old (19) for the DSL, but still, what a performance.  He hasn’t pitched before this year, so he may be a late bloomer.  

On 8/3/2024 at 5:18 AM, Frobby said:

With only 18 days left in the DSL regular season, I think we can say pretty definitively that the O’s 2024 teams are the strongest that the Elias regime has produced, by a wide margin.  DSL Orange sits atop the DSL Northwest Division at 29-14, one game up on the Brewers 1 affiliate at 26-13.   They are tied for the 4th best record in the DSL, and appear likely to grab one of two wild card spots even if the Brewers team catches them for the division title.   Orange features a young, strong offense, averaging 6.53 runs/game, 5th of the 51 DSL teams, and 6th in OPS at .771.   The average age if theit batters is 17.3, 10th youngest of the 51 teams (league average age for position players is 17.7).  The pitchers have the 7th lowest ERA at 3.69,  and their 4.80 runs allowed per game is 11th.  However, the pitchers are a tad above league aversge age at 18.8, 36th of the 5 teams (league average for pitchers is 18.6).

You might think that the Orange team is so good because all the Orioles’ DSL talent is stacked on one team, but that’s not the case.   Orioles Black is a very respectable 20-22.  They are 25th in R/G at 5.26, 18th in OPS at .707, while the players average 17.6 years old, 27th.  The pitchers are 38th in ERA at 5.52 and 41st in runs per 8 at 6.85.  They average 18.8 years old, 34th youngest of the 51 tesns.   

Just a quick comparison with past DSL teams of the Elias era:

2019: 34-36; 28-34 [8 under .500 combined]

2020: DNP

2021: 13-39; 25-30 [31 games under]

2022: 26-34; 23-34 [19 games under]

2023: 35-19; 20-35 [1 game over]

2024 to date: 29-14; 20-22 [13 games over]

Superficially it might seem that the 2019 tesns were better than the 2021-22 versions, but the 2019 teams were among the oldest in the DSL.

Anyway, here’s hoping that Orange can win their division and make a deep playoff run, and that our 2024 DSL talent  can come stateside in 2025 and produce the first winning FCL team of the Elias era.   (The 2019 GCL O’s went 38-15, but they were laughably old.)

Very informative post.  Hopefully, we start getting some better results at Delmarva.  I know this is the DLS thread, but who do we see getting promoted from the FCL to Delmarva to start 25'?  Bats wise.