Norby and Vespi coming up?

Bird Lady

Dfa vieira or option akin/tate? We definitely need the arm, but curious who goes down. 

vespi threw an inning yesterday, so not exactly a completely fresh arm…

glad to see norby up. Hopefully he gets at least 3 starts this week rather than sitting on the bench while Urias plays, but other than kikuchi not sure how many lefties we will face. 

I thought if Vespi is optioned again that we have to DFA him since he’s been optioned 4 times already. 5 is the max, but admittedly I am not familiar with the nuances of this rule. 

Overall, I like it. Fire up the shuttle. Replacement for Mateo while he’s on the concussion IL. 

1 minute ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Dfa vieira or option akin/tate? We definitely need the arm, but curious who goes down. 

vespi threw an inning yesterday, so not exactly a completely fresh arm...

glad to see norby up. Hopefully he gets at least 3 starts this week rather than sitting on the bench while Urias plays, but other than kikuchi not sure how many lefties we will face. 

If the callups are legit I'm guessing Mateo IL and Vieira DFA. I guess it could be Tate back down but based on the weekend they don't trust going to Vieira at all. I don't think you can roll with that at this juncture in the schedule. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I thought if Vespi is optioned again that we have to DFA him since he’s been optioned 4 times already. 5 is the max, but admittedly I am not familiar with the nuances of this rule. 

Overall, I like it. Fire up the shuttle. Replacement for Mateo while he’s on the concussion IL. 

EDIT - Looks like you be right! They must be willing to deal with waiving him if they want to send him down later.

Edited by spleen1015

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Could this be Mateo injury related?

I believe if Vespi is coming up, it must mean someone is going on the IL, since he was last optioned only 6 days ago. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Interesting. Looks like you're right that he's been optioned 4 times already this year. I wonder if one of those doesn't count towards the allowed 5 because it was the 27th man for a doubleheader? 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I believe if Vespi is coming up, it must mean someone is going on the IL, since he was last optioned only 6 days ago. 

Interesting. Looks like you're right that he's been optioned 4 times already this year. I wonder if one of those doesn't count towards the allowed 5 because it was the 27th man for a doubleheader? 

That makes sense. When we called Vespi up for the DH it likely didn’t count. 

I’m guessing,

Norby up for Mateo on 7 day IL concussion list

Vespi up for one of Akin/Tate just to deload Akin a bit. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is Viera though. But I think we want to take a chance on that arm. Can we afford to?

Edited by sportsfan8703