O's @ Yankees Series, June 18-20 (Tues-Thurs)

2 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

The Yanks had bases loaded no outs and couldn't score in the 7th. Red Sox scored 3 in their 7th and lead 7-3 in the 8th.

That brought me back memories of a game I attended in Camden Yards against Seattle, I think it was 1998. Jesse Orosco got out of a bases loaded no out jam, with the last out being a broken bat ground out that Orosco had to field while getting hit by the splinters, and got the out. The O's won in extra innings on a Palmeiro HR. Is there any chance anyone here remembers that game?

3 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

That brought me back memories of a game I attended in Camden Yards against Seattle, I think it was 1998. Jesse Orosco got out of a bases loaded no out jam, with the last out being a broken bat ground out that Orosco had to field while getting hit by the splinters, and got the out. The O's won in extra innings on a Palmeiro HR. Is there any chance anyone here remembers that game?

Did a quick search on BB-Ref, and this looks like the one.

Jose Trevino's throwing has gone down the toilet.  He allowed 9 SBs including a couple where he couldn't get a grip on the ball.

It looks like the NYY pitchers weren't doing him any favors but his pop time is one of the worst in the league.  With Gunnar, Westburg, Mateo, and Mullins we could do some damage on the base paths if Trevino's catching.  Wells and Trevino split time so we should get at least 1 game with him. 

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Jose Trevino's throwing has gone down the toilet.  He allowed 9 SBs including a couple where he couldn't get a grip on the ball.

It looks like the NYY pitchers weren't doing him any favors but his pop time is one of the worst in the league.  With Gunnar, Westburg, Mateo, and Mullins we could do some damage on the base paths if Trevino's catching.  Wells and Trevino split time so we should get at least 1 game with him. 

They said the velocity on his throws is 71mph.  That is decent high school catcher territory. 

Watched this game. Holy crap, if Trevino isn't hurt, they have a glaring weakness when he's back there. Soto and Judge are who they are, but that team does not worry me much, lineup wise. If their pitching holds, makes them legit, of course, but we just introduced Zach Wheeler to reality. Really looking forward to heading into the Bronx. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Over/under on the number of times we walk Judge and Soto in this series?   10?  Nobody else really worries me.  

Orioles don't tend to pitch around guys other than Harper yesterday.  But I agree with you this lineup is really top heavy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Over/under on the number of times we walk Judge and Soto in this series?   10?  Nobody else really worries me.  

It's too bad they made the three batter rule. Otherwise I would be tempted to have two openers (LH/RH) to deploy in every game of the series. Plus a LOOGY for Soto in the later innings.

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

It's too bad they made the three batter rule. Otherwise I would be tempted to have two openers (LH/RH) to deploy in every game of the series. Plus a LOOGY for Soto in the later innings.

Wouldn't hurt to have an opener for Suarez and Povich starts.  Not looking forward to Suarez and Pivich facing Judge and Soto a 3rd time.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Do you know something the rest of us don't know? Because according to the stats Soto kills lefties to the tune of .338/.438/.569. He is a great player (maybe the best pure hitter in MLB) and it is unlikely that any gimmick is going to consistently cause him not to succeed. Same probably goes for Judge.

You have to limit the other lesser players.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

One reference point. I took top 2 Orioles in SLG. 

NYY team SLG .436

Soto/Judge combined .639 SLG 

rest of team .381

——————————————————
BAL team SLG .451

Gunnar/Westburg .548 SLG

rest of team .425

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1