Basallo for Crochet?

caljr

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

We cant afford to trade away our best young catching prospect, still only 19 years old.Trade Norby, Stowers, Urias, or Mateo...but not Basallo, nor Mayo, nor Kjerstad, nor Holliday.

So will you be happy with something like Jack Flaherty and a 7th inning guy?

21 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Once you have had one, your likelihood for another jumps.

So yes, he’s more susceptible.

And yes players don’t tend to get healthier after having a history of poor health as they get older.

Crochet isn’t a bet im making with any of our top 3 prospects. It’s illogical and a poor bet to make.

In terms of TJS, that is just factually inaccurate. Out of current MLB pitchers, between 26-30% have had TJS. 6.8% of those have had multiple TJS’s. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

The innings limit is artificial.   You can manage it if you want by using him as a 3-inning opener.  He could break tomorrow or throw 200 innings and be fine.   There’s no way to predict either way.

It's true that any pitcher can break any time, but teams typically try to ramp up innings gradually from one year to the next in the belief that this gives you the best odds of avoiding injury.   If there's a recent study that suggests that this idea is not supported by the data then I'd be interested in reading it.  

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

It's true that any pitcher can break any time, but teams typically try to ramp up innings gradually from one year to the next in the belief that this gives you the best odds of avoiding injury.   If there's a recent study that suggests that this idea is not supported by the data then I'd be interested in reading it.  

No. You show me the data that shows setting an innings limit on a 25 yo man is any better than letting him pitch a full season.   Chris Sale pitched in relief for the WS as a 22-year old rookie.   He pitched 78 innings.   The next year he started and threw 180.   The Nationals limited Strasberg innings.   He broke.   Sale was a horse for about 6 years before he started to have problems.  How many full seasons did Strasburg pitch.   

You think limited innings on 18-22 yo while there in the minors.  Sure.  No problem although I don’t think there’s any proof that works either.

8 hours ago, interloper said:

I like Basallo, but he's definitely not untouchable. He's not Adley, he's not Gunnar. 

I'd aim higher than Crochet if Basallo is in the mix. 

And you know this, how? I would really like to know. 

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Name some of these higher arms.  🙄

Dunno! Someone who isn't known to be available, someone that we'd have to pry off a team that maybe isn't exactly a seller. It's not very likely. 

Not trading Basallo for Crochet though, who will be toast by the time August ends. 

I think Tarik Skubal is an interesting compare/contrast with Crochet if Elias deploys his top tier to unlock other's top tiers.

I also think Elias thinks he may be able to get there with depth if he backs Cowser/Kjerstad strongly.

The Tigers even after Flaherty's contract expires have Maeda, Skubal, Mize, Olson, Manning with Wilmer Flores and Jackson Jobe in the wings.

Casey Mize and Matt Manning are a couple guys with at or near Gerrit Cole pedigree who have not experienced great success yet that could be longer term contributors.

Skubal 2.5 seasons to free agency is the same as Crochet.    Scott Harris expecting to contend sooner than Chris Getz might have more taste for the Kjerstad/Cowser/Stowers/Norby profiles.    

4 hours ago, interloper said:

I don't, obviously. Just an opinion. 

Based on what? As a 19 year old, I don't know what else he possibly could have done at this point. What would he have to do to make you think he potentially could match those two?  

10 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

Based on what? As a 19 year old, I don't know what else he possibly could have done at this point. What would he have to do to make you think he potentially could match those two?  

Dunno! I think we'll know a lot more next year. After Holliday's meh AAA showing (albeit at only 20), and after Cowser putting up insane OBP that didn't translate at all at the ML level, I'm a little hesitant to predict what any prospect will do. They're all going to be good. It's rare to be Adley or Henderson good, that's all. 

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Dunno! I think we'll know a lot more next year. After Holliday's meh AAA showing (albeit at only 20), and after Cowser putting up insane OBP that didn't translate at all at the ML level, I'm a little hesitant to predict what any prospect will do. They're all going to be good. It's rare to be Adley or Henderson good, that's all. 

Gotcha. I just personally see Holliday, Mayo, and Bassallo in the same category as those two. Those three are as close as you can come to can't miss future stars IMO. Adley was always in that category...Gunnar not necessarily when he joined the organization. Trading any of those three prospects is nuts IMO. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

And we haven’t had a bust yet. Which is bound  to happen. I just don’t think Basallo will stay at catcher. That is strictly my opinion so I’d deal him if he’d net Gilbert or Kirby. Even if we have to throw in a couple other prospects.

Edited by Roll Tide