Bring up Mayo already!!

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but those look like routine plays for a ML third baseman to me. Those are not exactly Machado-five-feet-in-foul territory snatches and throws. 

Yes they were not, but then again they dont need to be.

17 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Yes they were not, but then again they dont need to be.

If your minor league highlight reel at third base is a bunch of routine ML plays, then yeah, that’s probably a problem. Not saying that’s the case, but those highlights were pretty meh. 

39 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but those look like routine plays for a ML third baseman to me. Those are not exactly Machado-five-feet-in-foul territory snatches and throws. 

Neither was routine but neither was Brooks or Machado prime either.  I think what he showed was good reflexes, athletic movements, and a strong, accurate (on those 2) arm.  He didn’t look like a RF/1B trying to cut it at 3B.  He looks like he belongs there.  Just two plays but it’s good confirmation bias material for those of us who want to believe he can be good there.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

If your minor league highlight reel at third base is a bunch of routine ML plays, then yeah, that’s probably a problem. Not saying that’s the case, but those highlights were pretty meh. 

I guess I’m more easily impressed.

On 6/25/2024 at 9:41 AM, wildcard said:

Do you even watch the games?   Palmer, Brooks  former teammate, has been comparing Urias defense to Brooks for quiet some time.

You can compare anyone's defense to Brooks.   It's just that they all lose the comparison.  Urias is not on the same planet as Brooks.   He deserved his Gold Glove in 2022, but he's been pretty average the last two years.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, RZNJ said:

That works.  I also think we need to find everyday AB for Kjerstad.   Cowser in LF, Mullins in CF, Santander in RF, is the best defensive alignment and the most likely to get the most AB.  As great as O’Hearns AB are the amount of actual damage is good, not great.   Just a thought.  We have a club option on O’Hearn with Santander headed for FA so I doubt he’s going anywhere.   On further thought we should probably just hold onto O’Hearn.  Lol

Yeah the logjam in the OF is more of a problem to me than finding a place for Mayo to play in the near term.

I don't think the team will move Santander and I don't think there is a market for Mullins, so its either trade Kj or Cowser or do a 4 player rotation out there to keep everyone fresh (frankly I don't mind that).

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

That first play was not routine. Anyone with a weaker arm wouldn't have gotten the runner at first.

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

The title literally says he shows off his reflexes and 70-grade arm. He did both. The title never said Mayo makes otherworldly plays at 3B.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bluedog said:

That first play was not routine. Anyone with a weaker arm wouldn't have gotten the runner at first.

The ball almost hit him. It was a hot shot, but it was right to him. If Urias misses a play like that, then half the board goes nuts.  

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Neither was routine but neither was Brooks or Machado prime either.  I think what he showed was good reflexes, athletic movements, and a strong, accurate (on those 2) arm.  He didn’t look like a RF/1B trying to cut it at 3B.  He looks like he belongs there.  Just two plays but it’s good confirmation bias material for those of us who want to believe he can be good there.

I'm not down on Mayo and have seen very little of his defense, so my comment wasn't meant to drag him in the mud. But I expected flashier just because it was a highlight, although social media highlights are not exactly prime ESPN web gems these days. They looked like two plays that your average ML 3B makes without a lot of fanfare to me. But I wasn't commenting on Mayo's overall defense, just that I expected a little more when I clicked on the videos. The first play looked a bit like when an outfielder dives for a ball and makes a cool catch that a really good outfielder makes look totally routine. Just my opinion and I'm only wrong like 235 times a day. 

• Upvote 1