Bring up Mayo already!!

My excitement has blinded me but bringing Mayo up right before the break may have been a bad idea. Let his bat stay hot in Norfolk then call him up

Edited by CTBear
N/a

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

There is not a GM in the world....except the one we have......who would be keeping Mayo in AAA right now.

Elias is so conservative he would fold pocket Aces to a 3 bet before the flop. 

He needs to GOOOO.   Not out of the organization. He is great at what he does.    But put in charge of scouting.  He is not a GM.  He doesn't have that extra gene in him.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mayo will be up whenever they figure he can retain rookie status for next year. 

Seems like we have waited this long, we might as well wait a few more weeks. Gunnar made his debut August 31. Evan Carter was Sept 8.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Seems like we have waited this long, we might as well wait a few more weeks. Gunnar made his debut August 31. Evan Carter was Sept 8.

I suspect they will bring him up after they make whatever moves they do by the deadline.  I am sure they will try to make room for him by putting a Urias or Mateo in a deal.  No they won’t be major pieces but they may be add ons to complete a deal.

To me, the problem isn’t that we haven’t called up Mayo yet, it’s that we haven’t made the trade that we so desperately need for a top starter. I don’t want him called up until he can play near every day…..he hits well against both RHP/LHP. We all know that at some point our unbalanced resources have to be used to acquire a starter. Until we do that there’s just no room for Mayo. 

You know what was missing in Elias’ comments yesterday about Mayo and Holliday and them helping us in the second half? Connor Norby, who also hits LHP/RHP well and has nothing else to prove in AAA. This losing streak and offensive rut may be a blessing in disguise.  Elias won’t be attacked now for disrupting team chemistry by drastically remaking the roster of a first place team. Something’s gotta give and we’re going to have to start moving players we don’t really want to move. The honeymoon portion of the Elias era is ending. Tough decisions are spread throughout our roster. Good problems, but problems just the same. But it starts with this one….graduating three players who have nothing left to prove at AAA and getting a top starter with at least 1.5 years of controllability in return. 

Edited by UMDTerrapins

39 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

To me, the problem isn’t that we haven’t called up Mayo yet, it’s that we haven’t made the trade that we so desperately need for a top starter. I don’t want him called up until he can play near every day…..he hits well against both RHP/LHP. We all know that at some point our unbalanced resources have to be used to acquire a starter. Until we do that there’s just no room for Mayo. 

You know what was missing in Elias’ comments yesterday about Mayo and Holliday and them helping us in the second half? Connor Norby, who also hits LHP/RHP well and has nothing else to prove in AAA. This losing streak and offensive rut may be a blessing in disguise.  Elias won’t be attacked now for disrupting team chemistry by drastically remaking the roster of a first place team. Something’s gotta give and we’re going to have to start moving players we don’t really want to move. The honeymoon portion of the Elias era is ending. Tough decisions are spread throughout our roster. Good problems, but problems just the same. But it starts with this one….graduating three players who have nothing left to prove at AAA and getting a top starter with at least 1.5 years of controllability in return. 

Excellent post. Totally agree.

16 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

nO WhERe To PlAY HiM

despite the fact that the 6-9 hitters each night are basically auto outs

No, it's the fact that Elias doesn't want to lose Urias or Mateo for nothing. To bring Mayo up means DFAing one of those if he can't find a trade partner that offers what he wants. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

No, it's the fact that Elias doesn't want to lose Urias or Mateo for nothing. To bring Mayo up means DFAing one of those if he can't find a trade partner that offers what he wants. 

So?  I hate this mentality.   If we can't find a trade partner then that means no one else values them the way the Os do.   We can't let no team wanting to give us 'value' for them prevent us from improving the MLB team.   It's better to cut them and get better bats into the lineup than to struggle to score runs because we are so scared of just giving away freaking Mateo or Urias.  Yes,  some give compelling arguments about why we should keep one or both of them... fine.   But if the only reason they are still on the roster is because Elias can't find a team to unload them on,  that's poor roster management and it's hurting the MLB team. 

• Upvote 1