On 7/13/2024 at 9:19 AM, RZNJ said:

Mayfield is old for the HS class and must have gotten quite the velocity bump.  This was a preseason write up in Baseball America.  Their latest mock had him going right after us at #23 to the Dodgers.

Age At Draft: 19.4
“Mayfield established a reputation as one of the better strike-throwers in the 2024 class as an underclassman, though he didn’t pitch much on the 2023 summer showcase circuit. He’s a 6-foot-4, 200-pound lefthander with a smooth and easy delivery that he repeats excellently with great balance, solid extension and a steady finish in his landing. He has typically sat in the upper 80s and scraped a 91 here and there, but at PBR’s Super 60 showcase in February of 2024 Mayfield touched 94 and has the physical projection to dream on a bit more regular low-90s velocity in the future. On top of a developing fastball that he can spot with advanced feel, Mayfield has a mid-70s breaking ball and a low-80s changeup that look like solid offerings. Mayfield is old for the class after turning 19 in February and is committed to Oklahoma State.“

I swear this was the writeup on Brian Matusz except Matusz had better breaking/offspeed stuff, some of the worst extension I've ever seen, and did it in college.

I’m going to go double high school to start. My uninformed opinion. 3 names I selected in first 2 picks. David Shields, Braylon Payne and Griffin Burkholder. Shields is that athletic pitcher they tend to like. 

Okay.  Pick 3 players and ONLY 3 you think might get drafted tonight by the Orioles.  You could get greedy and try to guess all 3 picks or use all 3 names for who you think we take at #22.   Bottom line.  Choose THREE names.   I’m sure some will hit on one name.   Hitting on two surely will give us a winner.   Hitting on all three?   Impossible.

Mine.

Brody Brecht

Kaelen Culpepper

Vance Honeycutt

Edited by RZNJ

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I’m going to go double high school to start. My uninformed opinion. 3 names I selected in first 2 picks. David Shields, Braylon Payne and Griffin Burkholder. Shields is that athletic pitcher they tend to like. 

Why is it that I don’t know any of those three names and I’ve been reading almost every mock draft I can?

Keith laws last mock has us taking Kellon Lindsey, but the more interesting note is that he states that is the only high school hitter that he has heard connected with the orioles (hopefully that means at 32, but could mean in general). It fits with what we’ve seen us doing over the last 5 years, not what we’ve been hoping for with higher upside prep bats like Gillen  

Law mentions we are Honeycutt best bet to be a first round pick. He seems to think there’s a good chance Honeycutt falls out of the first. I certainly wouldn’t mind him at 32, or wonder if he’d take a underslot at 22 if he’s looking at being a comp a or second rounder. 

5 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Keith laws last mock has us taking Kellon Lindsey, but the more interesting note is that he states that is the only high school hitter that he has heard connected with the orioles (hopefully that means at 32, but could mean in general). It fits with what we’ve seen us doing over the last 5 years, not what we’ve been hoping for with higher upside prep bats like Gillen  

Law mentions we are Honeycutt best bet to be a first round pick. He seems to think there’s a good chance Honeycutt falls out of the first. I certainly wouldn’t mind him at 32, or wonder if he’d take a underslot at 22 if he’s looking at being a comp a or second rounder. 

Agreed; I'd love a high upside HS bat with first pick and I'd be ok with Honeycutt at 32 but definitely not at 22.  I'm still very wary of those bat to ball skills...or lack thereof...

11 minutes ago, Otter said:

Agreed; I'd love a high upside HS bat with first pick and I'd be ok with Honeycutt at 32 but definitely not at 22.  I'm still very wary of those bat to ball skills...or lack thereof...

Would Lindsey be acceptable as the “high upside” bat? I like him, but seems like a lot is based off of his athleticism. I don’t see him listed as having any other carrying tools (not currently noted as a great defender or having a great arm) and doesn’t have a lot of power. He was a dual sport guy, so maybe a lot changes once he’s focused on baseball, but mlb.com has him as 55 hit, 40 power, 75 speed and 50 arm / field. Doesn’t really fit our mold, even after bradfield who also had the elite defense. If Lindsey is they pick, they must think they can develop the defense or that he’ll grow into more power. 

I wouldn’t hate Honeycutt at 22 if he came in with a significant underslot that then turned into an overslot in comp a or 2nd. Braves saved 300k on Waldron last year, and jays saved 700k in ninmala. The difference between slot values last year of 32 and 22 was 1mm. Splitting the difference and saving 500k to use wouldn’t be the worst. But obviously getting him at 32 is better. 

Baseball Mock 7.0 out today.  Honeycutt gone.  Brecht still on the board.

22. Orioles — Kaelen Culpepper, SS, Kansas State

I previously had Honeycutt with this pick, but now I’ve got him going three picks earlier with the Mets and the Orioles are one of the teams most commonly tied to Culpepper. Brody Brecht is also a name we’ve heard linked to the Orioles in the past. 

Dart throw names for later picks: 1B Blake Burke, OF Dakota Jordan, 3B Sean Keys

Kiley also has Benge getting to us in his update 3.1 that he just posted. 

MIL - Caleb Lomavita

TBR - Theo Gillen

NYM - Vance Honeycutt

TOR - Malcolm Moore

MIN - Jurrangelo Cijntje

BAL - Carson Benge

He has a lot of HS players going in the picks after us. Brecht and Waldschmidt come off, but the likes of Culpepper, Jordan, White, O’Ferrell, etc., all make it to 31.

Edited by e16bball

27 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Kiley also has Benge getting to us in his update 3.1 that he just posted. 

MIL - Caleb Lomavita

TBR - Theo Gillen

NYM - Vance Honeycutt

TOR - Malcolm Moore

MIN - Jurrangelo Cijntje

BAL - Carson Benge

He has a lot of HS players going in the picks after us. Brecht and Waldschmidt come off, but the likes of Culpepper, Jordan, White, O’Ferrell, etc., all make it to 31.

As long as we don’t take one of the catchers (Lomavita and Malcolm Moore especially, Janek not as bad) or guys like Amick and Tommy White.

Give me two of Benge, Culpepper, Brecht, Lindsey, Tyson Lewis, or Gillen (the arm thing scares me).

Edited by RZNJ

51 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

As long as we don’t take one of the catchers (Lomavita and Malcolm Moore especially, Janek not as bad) or guys like Amick and Tommy White.

Give me two of Benge, Culpepper, Brecht, Lindsey, Tyson Lewis, or Gillen (the arm thing scares me).

I'm with you.  No college catcher...that is the least of our demographic needs...

I'm hoping for one college pitcher and one high upside HS bat.

Moment of thanks to the baseball gods for the last half inning to put the fun back in tonight.

In the year of Garrett Crochet, Brody Brecht would be the most fun to watch for a couple months, but I'd guess we don't see that big a tendency break.

I think today I'd be mighty tempted to try Brecht rather than Kimbrel an inning here or there in a few months.