5 losses in a row. Baltimore...we have a problem. Thread revisit...O's have no way to win the WS unless...

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

That would be mighty bold.  I laid out a trade involving Kjerstad, Norby, and P Luis De León for Crochet.    Holliday for Miller?   I think the A’s have to kick something in, don’t they?   I can’t imagine us having to give up more.

A lot of posters will have a conniption that we’d even discuss this.  Lol

Yes I am sure that the As and the Os would have to add filler.  Preferably the As adding a starter....but I mean the Os are built to win now.  And tomorrow...and the day after that. 

The As?  They are a few years off after moving to Vegas.

To me that seems like a really good trade for both sides.   Heston you work a trade with maybe someone like the White sox with Fedde...with filler of course.

IMO if you add those 2 pitchers and another middle reliever?  We are the immediate WS favs and it really isn't even close.

6 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I made it clear throughout this thread that 5 losses is no big deal.  I said that many times.   I also made it very clear that the problem was the pitching.  So I am not sure what you are harping on about.

And btw, the "Baltimore....we have a problem" line was taken from the Apollo 13 space mission and then the movie.  

82529e76fd4e9d9459275aa5cb22c600.jpg

Thank you for explaining the origin of "Baltimore we have a problem."  So you say the movie was quoting from the actual Apollo 13 mission?  Wow.  🙄 

5 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Thank you for explaining the origin of "Baltimore we have a problem."  So you say the movie was quoting from the actual Apollo 13 mission?  Wow.  Was the "Five loses in a row" part from Sophie's choice?  🙄 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Many of you can poo poo this all that you want to.  And you will and that is fine.  But my OP stands true.

Unless the Os trade for at least one VERY good starting pitcher, and one VERY good reliever?  This year?  Both for more than just this year?  And sign another very good starter in the off season as trust me Burnes is not going to be resigned?

The Os are not going to win the WS this year or the next.  They just do not have the pitching.  Means and Bradish are not coming back this year or next.  FB....maybe.  That is a huge problem. 

If we don't start trading our prospects for real pitching?  We are just wasting years of Gunnar and AR.  

Yes it is a bad break that Means and Bradish and FB were injured.  But there is a reason why they have drafted position players the past 5 years.  To trade for pitching.  Time to make that happen. 

Just remove the panic button. Pitching is needed. Fleecing O’rganization depth is not. Selling the farm is a term you cannot have take backs.

ME will not sell the farm

Edited by Since1984

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Many of you can poo poo this all that you want to.  And you will and that is fine.  But my OP stands true.

Unless the Os trade for at least one VERY good starting pitcher, and one VERY good reliever?  This year?  Both for more than just this year?  And sign another very good starter in the off season as trust me Burnes is not going to be resigned?

The Os are not going to win the WS this year or the next.  They just do not have the pitching.  Means and Bradish are not coming back this year or next.  FB....maybe.  That is a huge problem. 

If we don't start trading our prospects for real pitching?  We are just wasting years of Gunnar and AR.  

Yes it is a bad break that Means and Bradish and FB were injured.  But there is a reason why they have drafted position players the past 5 years.  To trade for pitching.  Time to make that happen. 

Why don’t you wait to post this in one week.

As I said two months ago.  This team still can make a run at the World Series because we have a great 1-2 in rotation and solid deep offense.  The issue though is we have a very small margin in of error because of the injuries to Bradish, Means, Wells, and Coulumbe. 

The stupidest part of all of this is that we could dump the whole farm and get Crochet, Skubal, Robert Jr. and would still likely not win the world series. These threads every year are incredibly worthless. The teams with the most talent do great in the regular season, the playoffs are whoever gets hot. It's not difficult for most people to wrap their heads around that concept but for some it clearly is.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

As I said two months ago.  This team still can make a run at the World Series because we have a great 1-2 in rotation and solid deep offense.  The issue though is we have a very small margin in of error because of the injuries to Bradish, Means, Wells, and Coulumbe. 

Grayson has not proven himself as a #2 yet.  

The hitting has been just as problematic as the pitching. It’s been that way for long enough it’s a problem and not just some blip. Awful RISP and if we don’t score early in the games or get behind, that’s all she wrote.

9 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

This is just wrong, I mean maybe not for this year, where the only meaningful addition would be through trades, but there are plenty of examples a pitchers who joined teams this past off season that are more than capable playoff pitchers. (Hicks, Flaherty, Lugo, Gray, Turnbull)

Could the Orioles have gone down this path this past pffseason and added more pitching?  Perhaps.  Did Angelos give them the budget to do so? Probably not.  Did they think they needed it, foreseeing three SPs going down with season ending injuries.  Probably not.

But going into next off season they know they need pitching.  They have an owner who is, presumably ready to spend.  So no, they don't need to sell the farm for pitching.  

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The guy leading the AL in wins?  That guy?

To be fair, Grayson has more wins than Burnes. Who in your opinion has had the better season? Who would you trust more if we had 1 game to win?

11 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Grayson has not proven himself as a #2 yet.  

He has given up 3 runs or less in 15 of the 18 starts the highest percentage of any pitcher in the majors is not a number 2 starter.  Yeah ok.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bemorewins said:

To be fair, Grayson has more wins than Burnes. Who in your opinion has had the better season? Who would you trust more if we had 1 game to win?

Burnes is one of best pitchers in league so yes Burnes is better but to say Grayson is not a number 2 is a joke.  

• Upvote 1