Heston Kjerstad 2024

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not sure he's going to make it back, but you're right, missed him. 

I would guess Soto goes if he can make it back. 

So that's potentially 7 of our 26 man playoff roster. What do we think is the over/under for guys who actually make it? Maybe 4? I'm thinking Webb is close to a lock now, but is there anyone else > 50/50 to make it back in time?

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

So that's potentially 7 of our 26 man playoff roster. What do we think is the over/under for guys who actually make it? Maybe 4? I'm thinking Webb is close to a lock now, but is there anyone else > 50/50 to make it back in time?

Webb and Grayson seem like locks to me, just based on timetable for those injuries. Of course a set back could always occur. 

Coulombe and Mountcastle seem likely.

Westburg, Kjerstad, and Urias seem iffy in varying degrees. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

At this point, I’m only concerned about 2025 and beyond for Kjerstad.  If his symptoms don’t hinder the rest of his career or affect his health outside of baseball long term, that’s a win.   I’ll be pretty surprised if he returns to the major league roster this year.  

I agree with this.  Even if Kjerstad is physically able to play before the end of the season, it's hard to see where he gets playing time on the current roster, especially once Mountcastle comes back.  Santander and O'Hearn are getting all the LH at bats at RF/1B.  

Bowie and Norfolk keep going, so we'll see.    It was notable one of the early Yankees series they had him activated, mostly sitting on the bench, because I think they felt he might be the most dangerous pinch hitter for Urias, McCann, etc. in a big spot.

Certainly I think he is so far the biggest individual victim of the ferocity of 2024's Orioles-Yankees competition - it might mean something to his guys to have him there.

Tonight Emmanuel Rivera, Livan Soto and Nick Maton were on the roster.

12 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

If he's healthy he could help us in a big way in a week or two...

Would love to see him somehow finish this season strong.  Would be amazing if he could give the Orioles a boost in the playoffs as well.  He likely is the planned replacement for Santander next year. (unless Rubenstein opens the wallet and brings Santander back)

On 9/3/2024 at 3:14 PM, interloper said:

Webb and Grayson seem like locks to me, just based on timetable for those injuries. Of course a set back could always occur. 

Coulombe and Mountcastle seem likely.

Westburg, Kjerstad, and Urias seem iffy in varying degrees. 

Add Mountcastle to the iffy list. He's recovering a lot slower than they expected. He just started hitting off a tee.

On 9/6/2024 at 11:37 PM, Roy Firestone said:

If he's healthy he could help us in a big way in a week or two...

maybe he "could", but maybe he won't.  There's a lot of players - like Mayo - who could, but likely won't.  At least this year.  I love our prospects too, but let's be realistic with what we're seeing.  These guys are way more challenged up here than many would like to admit.

Is this a good teammate?  Heston got his three at-bats last night, was replaced, and then before the 8th inning, heads to the clubhouse, and is gone from the parking lot before the game is over.  I don't know, but I don't feel like that's cool.  Hanging out with the team in the dugout until the end of the game would be the right thing to do, in my mind.  I mean, that's what I'd do.  Am I too harsh saying this?  Is he really that "special" that it's okay?

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not a Kjerstad believer but hate seeing a young player have setbacks like this. I hope he can come back soon and provide a jolt to this offense. 

Not a believer that he’ll be an .800 type of hitter?