Heston Kjerstad 2024

49 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Kjerstad is a lefty.  Eloy is a righty.  

Kjerstad returning would have implications for O'Hearn and possibly Santander.

For Eloy to go we need Mounty back most likely.

I seem to recall Eloy being in there against quite a few righties of late  He also has reverse splits over his career, so using him as a strict platoon guy against LHP makes little sense. 

May be reading too much into the L/R thing when we are fielding everyday lineups with Rivera, Jimenez, and Slater.  We just need better players.  Kjerstad has shown the ability to hit both lefties and righties in the minors. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I seem to recall Eloy being in there against quite a few righties of late  He also has reverse splits over his career, so using him as a strict platoon guy against LHP makes little sense. 

May be reading too much into the L/R thing when we are fielding everyday lineups with Rivera, Jimenez, and Slater.  We just need better players.  Kjerstad has shown the ability to hit both lefties and righties in the minors. 

So did Stowers, but that never stopped them from acting like he couldn't!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So did Stowers, but that never stopped them from acting like he couldn't!

The Marlins have given him pretty decent playing time vs. LHP to date (25 PA, compared to 96 PA vs. RHP).  So far he has a .247 OPS vs. LHP there.   Of course, he’s not exactly tearing it up against RHP either (.581).   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Marlins have given him pretty decent playing time vs. LHP to date (25 PA, compared to 96 PA vs. RHP).  So far he has a .247 OPS vs. LHP there.   Of course, he’s not exactly tearing it up against RHP either (.581).   

Stowers has been very streaky for sure. Saying that, I'm not going to make conclusions based on 25 PAs especially when he has hundreds of PAs in the minors to show he doesn't have huge platoon splits.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Stowers has been very streaky for sure. Saying that, I'm not going to make conclusions based on 25 PAs especially when he has hundreds of PAs in the minors to show he doesn't have huge platoon splits.

I agree it’s too early to draw any conclusions.   But I will say that major league lefties are a lot tougher on LHB than minor league lefties, especially the relievers.   I think Stowers did well enough in the minors vs. LHP to deserve a good opportunity to do it in the majors.  We’ll see if it translates.  

It would be interesting to know if the typical “platoon gap” that LHB have in the minors tends to be more extreme in the majors.   I have no idea.  Holliday is an example of a guy who’s had a much bigger gap in the majors than the minors this year.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree it’s too early to draw any conclusions.   But I will say that major league lefties are a lot tougher on LHB than minor league lefties, especially the relievers.   I think Stowers did well enough in the minors vs. LHP to deserve a good opportunity to do it in the majors.  We’ll see if it translates.  

It would be interesting to know if the typical “platoon gap” that LHB have in the minors tends to be more extreme in the majors.   I have no idea.  Holliday is an example of a guy who’s had a much bigger gap in the majors than the minors this year.  

No doubt they are, and I can see the reluctance of playing them at times, but at some point, like they've done with Gunnar, Cowser and Holliday despite less than stellar minor league splits against , they have to let these guys get a chance. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do wonder if all of the LHPs who are particularly great against lefties are in the majors, especially among relievers. And if most AAA relievers are Nick Vespi types who are decent minor league pitchers but don't have a huge L/R split. 

On 9/10/2024 at 3:56 AM, Tony-OH said:

No doubt they are, and I can see the reluctance of playing them at times, but at some point, like they've done with Gunnar, Cowser and Holliday despite less than stellar minor league splits against , they have to let these guys get a chance. 

I think guys like Holliday and Gunnar have the hit tool where it's just a matter of opportunities.  I doubt they really saw any lefties in their life until they reached the minors.  And they both flew through the minors on top of that.  

I'm not as certain though on Cowsers hit tool.