Optimal position player roster for second half and playoffs?

Sports Guy

12 hours ago, Hallas said:

I wouldn't call it falling off because he didn't grade particularly well there last year either.  Meanwhile he's been +8 in OAA at 3rd.

His 2nd base numbers do feel a little off, he didn't look that bad there.

He was -1 OAA in 229 chances last year and he's -5 OAA in 82 chances this year. Defensive Runs saved (DRS) had him at 3 last year and -4 this year. His FRV has gone from 0 to -4. Here's his OAA in detail.

image.png.fa4535177ceef6cee65438226adf1e71.png

That's a pretty deep fall off in my opinion. 

I think these numbers are why they hesitant to move Westburg over full time to 2B and bring up Mayo. They may be concerned that Mayo will be worse than Westburg at 3B and Westburg is certainly worse than Mateo at 2B defensively.

So while the team certainly upgrades offensively with Mayo in the lineup, Elias may be hesitant to downgrade defensively at two positions.

Now maybe with everyday reps Westburg does better? Maybe Mayo will be just as good or even better than Westburg at 3B? I mean, Mayo has a much better arm than Westburg just more erratic. 

It's an interesting dilemma for Elias/Hyde to figure out what's best for the team.

Without an injury, or Mateo going into a deep slump at the plate, I don't know if they are willing to allow their defense at two positions be at risk for decline. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

He was -1 OAA in 229 chances last year and he's -5 OAA in 82 chances this year. Defensive Runs saved (DRS) had him at 3 last year and -4 this year. His FRV has gone from 0 to -4. Here's his OAA in detail.

I think these numbers are why they hesitant to move Westburg over full time to 2B and bring up Mayo. They may be concerned that Mayo will be worse than Westburg at 3B and Westburg is certainly worse than Mateo at 2B defensively.

So while the team certainly upgrades offensively with Mayo in the lineup, Elias may be hesitant to downgrade defensively at two positions.

Now maybe with everyday reps Westburg does better? Maybe Mayo will be just as good or even better than Westburg at 3B? I mean, Mayo has a much better arm than Westburg just more erratic. 

It's an interesting dilemma for Elias/Hyde to figure out what's best for the team.

Without an injury, or Mateo going into a deep slump at the plate, I don't know if they are willing to allow their defense at two positions be at risk for decline. 

I think we can try and develop Mayo at 3B, and Westburg at 2B, while rotating Mateo in to keep him getting reps, in July and August. Then reevaluate and coalesce for September+.

I say throw the best offensive lineup out there and hope whatever defensive loss we have is leveled out by the offensive increase. You can always go back to defense and Mateo. Usually defense and speed doesn’t slump. 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He has had a lot of bad fluky plays at second though.  Concentration type things like the dropped pop up.  That will affect those numbers greatly. I wouldn’t worry about him long term over there and I think those numbers are a bit skewed by a SSS and bad mistakes.

He may be better At third vs second but he’s not going to end up at second unless Holliday is eventually at SS.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I also tend to think that Westburg has been flat exhausted the last couple weeks. Guy plays nearly as much as Henderson, and almost never DHs. Neither does Henderson, but the guy's a freak so it doesn't count. 

I would give Westburg and Gunnar a day off here or there, so they stay fresher . Of course, base of pitching matchups . We have three full months of regular season left also