Bowden on some Os related deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

Just take Basallo, Holliday, and Mayo off the table, Mike. Get creative with any of the other minor leaguers. We should be able to get a very good SP3 for some kind of Beavers/Baumeister/Horvath kind of a package. (Though we prolly need a late inning reliever nearly as bad. David Robertson? Carlos Estevez?)

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

1. Are the Orioles prepared to make a big move at the deadline? It seems like a (deal with the White Sox for) Garrett Crochet and Tommy Pham would be perfect for them. … Could catcher Samuel Basallo be the main piece in a deal for a controllable starter? — Brad K.

The Orioles were proud that they didn’t trade any of their top-seven prospects when they landed Corbin Burnes from the Brewers in the offseason, and they’re continuing down that path in negotiations for starting pitchers now. They believe they don’t have to trade Basallo or Coby Mayo — ranked 12th and 17th, respectively, in Keith Law’s top 50 from early June — because they can instead deal from the depth of their strong farm system. Their approach is to hold onto all of their top prospects and deal from the middle of their farm system, which is better than the top of most teams’ systems.

Well that's what I wanted to hear. If the O's can pull that off:

Antonio Banderas - Reaction GIFs

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Orange said:

Just take Basallo, Holliday, and Mayo off the table, Mike. Get creative with any of the other minor leaguers. We should be able to get a very good SP3 for some kind of Beavers/Baumeister/Horvath kind of a package. (Though we prolly need a late inning reliever nearly as bad. David Robertson? Carlos Estevez?)

I think that's tremendously optimistic. I'm not saying any of Holliday, Mayo, Basallo or even Kjersted need to be involved but teams aren't going to move mid rotation starters for mid tier prospects even if you bunch them up. 

2 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I think that's tremendously optimistic. I'm not saying any of Holliday, Mayo, Basallo or even Kjersted need to be involved but teams aren't going to move mid rotation starters for mid tier prospects even if you bunch them up. 

Kjerstad wasn't listed as off the table in the post you quoted. Obviously he's not a mid-tier prospect, but I would deal him for the right player.

There is no way that Elias would trade for Flaherty again. 

First of all, it shines a light on the fact that it didn't work out the first time. I don't know many GMs that want to call attention to their mistakes.

Second, if he flops AGAIN, I mean can you even imagine. It would be an embarrassing thing to try and live down. Especially when there are so many other options out there. "Elias could have had anyone, but he traded for the guy that didn't work out last season." I mean there's just no way. 

I guess I'm not surprised Bowden would think it's a possibility. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

So you are letting the 34.2 innings he threw for us last year irrationally cloud your judgment as I expected.  He may struggle again if we acquire him, he may not.  The 2024 version of him would be a huge upgrade to the rotation and it is certainly worth considering if the price is right. 

Yes, it was a stupid trade then it’s even stupider trade now. 

14 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Yes, it was a stupid trade then it’s even stupider trade now. 

Why is it stupid now?  How can you even say that without knowing what it would cost to acquire him?  He's having a great season, his peripheral numbers are strong.  He would immediately upgrade the rotation.  He's in the 95th percentile in Whiff %, K % and BB %.  It'd be GM malpractice to flat out dismiss acquiring him for no reason other than he didn't impress in 34 IP last year. 

To just dismiss the idea altogether because he pitched poorly for us in a small sample size last year is incredibly short-sighted. 

Edited by Big Mac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slakattack said:

This is classic OH talk (why I limit my time here). There is someone lying in wait somewhere on this board to explain to you the difference between pitching in the AL Central vs. AL East, but I'll leave that to them. At a certain level, I root for the laundry and he didn't wear the laundry well once already when it mattered and I guarantee there are many paying customers who feel the same way that I do.

Wade Miley has gone down with TJ but I remember how phenomenally useless he was with us, then went elsewhere and became one of the best in the business.

Current health aside, if someone  suggested we re-acquire Miley, I would fire up the torches and sharpen the pitchforks.

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Some O's prospects are only mid-tier because they are in the O's farm system.

I saw a comment from a pundit who said Beavers would be the #1 prospect in a number of other team's farm systems right now. Not sure if I believe that or not, but I do believe Beavers, etc. are undervalued because of the quality of our top tier of prospects.

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

Why is it stupid now?  How can you even say that without knowing what it would cost to acquire him?  He's having a great season, his peripheral numbers are strong.  He would immediately upgrade the rotation.  He's in the 95th percentile in Whiff %, K % and BB %.  It'd be GM malpractice to flat out dismiss acquiring him for no reason other than he didn't impress in 34 IP last year. 

To just dismiss the idea altogether because he pitched poorly for us in a small sample size last year is incredibly short-sighted. 

No matter what his stats are now, his last year proves he is high risk and therefore can't be trusted. His price will also be a lot higher. We have the assets to get someone who is more dependable.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I do agree on Cal Quantrill being a good pickup for the Orioles, but that would require the Rockies to be forward thinking and realizing they need to trade some of their veterans for prospects.

Rockies listening to offers on Quantrill:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/07/rockies-trade-rumors-cal-quantrill-austin-gomber-ryan-feltner.html

3 hours ago, slakattack said:

This is classic OH talk (why I limit my time here). There is someone lying in wait somewhere on this board to explain to you the difference between pitching in the AL Central vs. AL East, but I'll leave that to them. At a certain level, I root for the laundry and he didn't wear the laundry well once already when it mattered and I guarantee there are many paying customers who feel the same way that I do.

Yeah, because our pitchers dominated that Cleveland lineup...

I think the AL East is the best division in baseball, but I think you're most certainly overstating that difference. I don't think pitching in the AL East vs. pitching in another division is worth more than say, a quarter-half point of FIP (in truth, I doubt it's worth quite that much)...a half point of FIP on his current level and you see where he'd be, nearly as good as any of our starters.

Anyways, as far as we can glean anything from 34.2 IP, he had 14.1 IP and 9 ER vs AL East foes and 20.1 and 17 ER vs others, so yeah, with us he did better against AL East foes than others. 

Edited by Flash- bd
  • Upvote 1