Poll - Would you trade Cowser, McDermott, Norby, and Stowers for Crochet?

Poll - Would you trade Cowser, McDermott, Norby, and Stowers for Crochet?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Poll - Would you trade Cowser, McDermott, Norby, and Stowers for Crochet?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if you know, why are you saying it?

You can't keep them all.

So that you didn’t have to type out that line.   

Sure you can.  

I don’t see Crochet as someone that moves the needle this year and beyond.  And I sure wouldn’t give up Cowser or one of our top 4 prospects to get him. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There were close to 1k pages of posts in the offseason, across two boards, for the same trade for Cease. Crochet has the extra half season of control and an extra postseason. 

not by me, Cease is overrated in my opinion, and White Sox want nothing more than an passive overpay for a guy that needs shut down soon, "limit him to 3 inning starts" some say lol defeats the purpose of trading for starter. Also trading Cowser & Stowers leaves the OF at Hays/Mullins/Kjerstad going into next year, pass on that, maybe go get McKenna back 

12 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

So that you didn’t have to type out that line.   

Sure you can.  

I don’t see Crochet as someone that moves the needle this year and beyond.  And I sure wouldn’t give up Cowser or one of our top 4 prospects to get him. 

Wait, you don't see Crochet as someone who moves the needle even next year? That's pretty mind-boggling. He's been worth about 4 wins already this year in half a season, Cowser 1.3 (I'm using bWAR as I see that's what you are using for your comps for Ortiz).

30 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I wonder what Getz thinks of Ortiz’ 2.1 WAR these days.  

I’m sure their fansite is hating it…..especially since they were bashing him like he was an old bust. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m sure their fansite is hating it…..especially since they were bashing him like he was an old bust. 

They wanted Cowser, he's at 1.3 bWAR. 

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

Wait, you don't see Crochet as someone who moves the needle even next year? That's pretty mind-boggling. He's been worth about 4 wins already this year in half a season, Cowser 1.3 (I'm using bWAR as I see that's what you are using for your comps for Ortiz).

Any starting pitcher has a 36% chance of blowing out and not being available.  I’m not giving up a starting OF with star potential, a depth arm with a high ceiling who is almost major league ready ,PLUS  2 major league ready  position players.  Thats a net loss and if he blows out, a major hole to dig out of.  

I’ll rephrase what I wrote above.  With what we’d have to give up (in this thread’s scenario) + the risk involved I don’t see him as someone that moves the needle.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I would substitute Kjerstad for Cowser and do it but I voted no in this poll.  Cowser’s offensive upside combined with his defense?   Can’t do it.

1 vs 1… I’m taking Kjerstad over Cowser. But that’s just my opinion. 

Just now, emmett16 said:

Any starting pitcher has a 36% chance of blowing out and not being available.  I’m not giving up a starting OF with star potential, a depth arm with a high ceiling who is almost major league ready ,PLUS  2 major league ready  position players.  Thats a net loss and if he blows out, a major hole to dig out of.  

I’ll rephrase what I wrote above.  With what we’d have to give up (in this thread’s scenario) + the risk involved I don’t see him as someone that moves the needle.  

Sure, but he's just coming back from the injury. For perspective, he alone has been just about as valuable as both Burnes and Rodriguez combined to this point of the season.

Correct.  At least with Robert, it sounds like mediocre prospects is all it will take if someone is willing to absorb Benintnendi’s contract.

Sounds like from their fansite that Robert can be had for middling prospects in exchange for paying off Benintendi’s contract.

3 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

I understand that which is why both of my posts asked about and/or referred to  his usefulness THIS YEAR, as have prior posts I have made on the topic of Crochet. 

If we manage his innings and start him 2 times in the post season that could be big for this year. And then we have him for the next two.

3 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

If we manage his innings and start him 2 times in the post season that could be big for this year. And then we have him for the next two.

If they are World Series bound which is he goal he’d have to pitch more than twice. 

14 minutes ago, Malike said:

Sure, but he's just coming back from the injury. For perspective, he alone has been just about as valuable as both Burnes and Rodriguez combined to this point of the season.

Which increases the chances substantially for a second injury.  

I’m not saying he’s not a good pitcher.  I’m just saying there’s a greater chance he gets injured vs. provides us with value.  I’d rather get a rental this season and look for another guy on a one year deal in the off-season.  

If we can deal from players not projected to be part of the 2025 team, then I’d be interested. 

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Which increases the chances substantially for a second injury.  

I’m not saying he’s not a good pitcher.  I’m just saying there’s a greater chance he gets injured vs. provides us with value.  I’d rather get a rental this season and look for another guy on a one year deal in the off-season.  

If we can deal from players not projected to be part of the 2025 team, then I’d be interested. 

Where do you see that a player is more likely to get injured a second time, can you cite the study for that, please? I honestly don't know where to look.

We tend to overvalue our prospects to absurdity here. If Elias had a single taker for Norby or Stowers as a headliner, they'd have been gone already. They are both defensive liabilities and neither have near the upside with the bat as Kjerstad does.

I like Cowser fine, but nothing about a guy with that much swing-and-miss in his game and occasional pop with good defense screams star player to me. I know the pretty red statcast lines are nice to look at, but expected stats do not win games, nor are they predictive of future success.