The Sacramento A's

WillyM

The A's intend to leave Oakland after this season, intending eventually to wind up in Las Vegas.  But since Vegas's stadium will not be ready next year, I understand the A's will play their home games in Sacramento.

Sacramento will thus become the fourth home of the A's franchise, following Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Oakland.

Interesting to note that Sacramento is currently home to an NBA franchise, the Kings - and it is also the fourth home of that NBA team, following Rochester, Cincinnati, and Kansas City/Omaha (assuming KC/O can be counted as one "home," which I hope is only a slight stretch).

Can anyone think of any other city which has played home to the fourth incarnation of two different franchises?

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sad.  It's a team with a really good, rich history.  If you were a kid in the late 80s and early 90s, Canseco, McGwire and Henderson were so much fun.  

The A's were the biggest franchise in the late 80s and early 90s. The Yankees were a dysfunctional mess and a second rate team until their mid-90's resurgence. The A's filled the void as the team the people most loved and loved to hate.

I don't care what anyone says the Bash Brothers were cool.

il_680x540.2707138448_f8po.jpg

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

On 7/6/2024 at 1:59 PM, WillyM said:

The A's intend to leave Oakland after this season, intending eventually to wind up in Las Vegas.  But since Vegas's stadium will not be ready next year, I understand the A's will play their home games in Sacramento.

Sacramento will thus become the fourth home of the A's franchise, following Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Oakland.

Interesting to note that Sacramento is currently home to an NBA franchise, the Kings - and it is also the fourth home of that NBA team, following Rochester, Cincinnati, and Kansas City/Omaha (assuming KC/O can be counted as one "home," which I hope is only a slight stretch).

Can anyone think of any other city which has played home to the fourth incarnation of two different franchises?

Well the NFL Rams franchise deserves some mention as they started in Cleveland in 1937, moved to LA in 1946, moved to St. Louis in 1995 and back to LA in 2016.  Fascinating that in each stop they have won a season’s ultimate prize (either NFL championship or Super Bowl)!

To add some extra spice to the Rams franchise history they were involved with the Baltimore Colts in what was the largest trade of all time as described here.

https://www.nfl.com/news/sidelines/digging-into-the-colts-and-rams-1972-franchise-swap-was-the-greatest-biggest-tra

The O’s will play MLB games in a MiLB ballpark next year.  For those who are thinking “road trip!”, consider this about Sacramento.  While announcers were raving about the weather in Oakland this past weekend, in Sacramento July 5, 6 & 7 daily highs were 108, 110 & 106.  I would imagine day games will be limited.

17 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The A's were the biggest franchise in the late 80s and early 90s. The Yankees were a dysfunctional mess and a second rate team until their mid-90's resurgence. The A's filled the void as the team the people most loved and loved to hate.

I don't care what anyone says the Bash Brothers were cool.

il_680x540.2707138448_f8po.jpg

The 1988-90 A’s are pretty comparable to the 1969-71 O’s.  Both teams went to the WS three straight years but only won the middle year of the three.  And like those Orioles teams, I’d say that the A’s lost to two inferior NL opponents (the Dodgers in 1988 and the Reds in 1990).   

On 7/7/2024 at 9:35 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Sad.  It's a team with a really good, rich history.  If you were a kid in the late 80s and early 90s, Canseco, McGwire and Henderson were so much fun.  

Oh, you kids.  They got nothin on the 72-74 A’s who won 3 WS in a row.   Reggie, Joe Rudi, Sal Bando, Catfish Hunter, Vida Blue, and Rollie Fingers.

I hated them because they beat us in the playoffs in both 73 and 74.

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2024 at 10:43 AM, RZNJ said:

Oh, you kids.  They got nothin on the 72-74 A’s who won 3 WS in a row.   Reggie, Joe Rudi, Sal Bando, Catfish Hunter, Vida Blue, and Rollie Fingers.

I hated them because they beat us in the playoffs in both 73 and 74.

Not to mention Ken Holtzman, Bill North, Gene Tenace, and Bert Campaneris.  Very good team.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Number5 said:

Not to mention Ken Holtzman, Bill North, Gene Tenace, and Bert Campaneris.  Very good team.

But were they as good as the ‘69-71 Orioles teams that only won 1 of 3 World Series?  Not even close, in my book.  They just played very well in October.   And Fingers was huge for them in the WS they won.