Who will pay Burnes $400M this offseason?

psagawa

Last year Shohei held up the market until just after the winter meetings, but I think Soto and Burnes being so far ahead of the pack it could play out like the Cole/Strasburg/Rendon year where the top echelon went boom, boom, boom. 

2024 winter meetings are December 9-12.     Boras has a lot of the cards at the top of the market.    A fly on the wall of Steve Cohen and David Stearns conversations how to be "smart", as Mike Elias put it, might hear interesting stuff.

Elias has about 2 months to form recommendations with whatever budget there is.

On 7/10/2024 at 8:42 PM, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Dodgers.  7 years, 250 million

The Dodgers are already over the the $241 million cap at $250 million and they have a ton of guys to pay. It’s not impossible but putting them at 305 million with guys like Lux, May, Gonsolin, Graterol, Phillips, Vesia, and Kopech (who they may not keep). The guys mentioned are all arb 2 or 3 that aren’t included in the number. I just don’t see it 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The Dodgers are already over the the $241 million cap at $250 million and they have a ton of guys to pay. It’s not impossible but putting them at 305 million with guys like Lux, May, Gonsolin, Graterol, Phillips, Vesia, and Kopech (who they may not keep). The guys mentioned are all arb 2 or 3 that aren’t included in the number. I just don’t see it 

Why wouldn’t they keep Kopech?

On 7/10/2024 at 6:09 PM, psagawa said:

The O's may or may not be willing to bid aggressively for Corbin Burnes this off season, but after seeing Snell and Montgomery go to spring training unsigned last winter, what will the market be? Based on performance, Burnes is superior to all but a handful of starters around MLB but many of the high revenue teams do not look to be serious bidders. The Mets have the highest payroll and Cohen has shown himself willing to spend but the team is only #10 by revenue and has shown signs of backing away from the open checkbook strategy. The Yanks are number 2 but with Cole, Rondon, Cortez, and Stroman already on the books for 2025 plus the imperative of signing Soto, I doubt they would be up for a $40-50M 8 year deal for Burnes. Houston is the third highest payroll but #6 in revenue plus has $ committed to Verlander, Valdez, McCullers, and Javier (with Blanco a surprise bargain). The Phillies look set in their rotation, as do the Braves - wouldn't expect either to be bidding for Burnes. The Dodgers will be getting a ton of pitching back next year - Ohtani, Buehler, May, Yamamoto, etc. - so they may need pitching now but probably won't next winter. The Cubs don't look like buyers to me, nor do the Jays, Rangers, or Giants. Maybe the Red Sox or Cardinals step up?

If the market is not robust this winter, perhaps Burnes would be willing to sign a shorter deal that could be more palatable to the O's who have a cheap position player line up locked up for a few years or even a longer, more team friendly contract. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that Rubinstein needs to make a statement to Orioles fans by signing Burnes to new contract . No excuses . 

1 hour ago, Allan Bryant said:

My thoughts are that Rubinstein needs to make a statement to Orioles fans by signing Burnes to new contract . No excuses . 

I agree with the need for Rubenstein to show that he is financially committed to doing what's necessary to invest in a championship. However, even if we resign Burnes there will still be work today. We need a better bullpen (even with Felix there is no right handed set up guy that I really trust in big spots to be lock down) and we need a RH bat to help solve our issues against LHP.