Who will pay Burnes $400M this offseason?

psagawa

3 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

The Nats coming was such a bad move for us in hindsight.  Owning MASN means less and less with the cord cutting. 

First off I don't think they could have stopped it so getting MASN was a lot better then getting nothing, which is what they deserved.

Secondly, the Angelos family grossly mismanaged MASN and still made a mint off of it.  MASN wasn't for the fans, it was a bribe for Angelos.

19 hours ago, waroriole said:

I can see them pursuing him and I wouldn’t be against it. But anyone who thinks he’s signing for 4/120, or that there’s a big FA SP class, needs a better editor. 

4/120 might get you Fried.  I doubt Burnes is even listening to 4 year offers.

1 hour ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

The Nats coming was such a bad move for us in hindsight.  Owning MASN means less and less with the cord cutting. 

It was never in hindsight. The Os were always against it. We had the numbers. We knew how bad it was going to effect the team.

That is why the MaSN deal was structured the way it was. It benefited the Os for a reason. That was essentially the compromise to having the team move to DC.

19 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

If the Nola contract is the standard and even if it comes with an opt out you do it. You almost have to. This team is demonstrably worse without Corbin Burnes. It's not just his ability to anchor the top of the rotation in the playoffs. But it's also his ability to post every 5 days and give you the necessary length/innings you need to help preserve your bullpen.

I don't see a realistic scenario where we let Burnes walk and then do not sign another top level pitcher and are better next season. I know that I have stated this befofe, but I am not confident at all that Eflin, Rodriguez, Kremer, Suarez, and Povich is a rotation that will allow you to qualify for a playoff birth. And it is certainly not one that will have a good shot at winning the AL East. Tampa will have their real elite staff back next year. We can't afford to go into a gun fight in 2025 with a water pistol.

These two paragraphs are not congruent.  I disagree that the Orioles have to resign Burnes.  I think they should be in on him, but they don't have to sign him.

I completely agree that if they do not sign him the have to have another TOR.  I think counting on Bradish to return is a poor decision.  You hope so, but planning on it would be weak.  Same with assuming #2 status for Rodriquez.  His case is stronger of course, but still.  We have some depth IF we have a TOR and that should be Burnes or someone comparable.

19 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

This is a very inaccurate statement. The Yankees aren't even the richest team in MLB. Look at Hal Steinbrenner's net worth compared to Steven Cohen's. It's particularly close. Like not at all. Cohen is worth more than FOUR TIMES as much.

This is accurate based on pockets.  But the Yankees have positive Cash Flow even with the huge payroll, because they are the richest franchise in the MLB.  The fact that the owner can fund higher salaries is certainly important, but it isn't the same thing as team revenue.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It was never in hindsight. The Os were always against it. We had the numbers. We knew how bad it was going to effect the team.

That is why the MaSN deal was structured the way it was. It benefited the Os for a reason. That was essentially the compromise to having the team move to DC

Rgr.  I was still a little young at the time to fully pay attention and understand the business implications of the move.  

It's not just DC though.  Baseball is a big sport for kids all throughout Virginia.  Even though TV is trending down, I think it cuts into our market of potential new fans.  Now as you get further south in VA, I doubt those fans help the attendance much, but they are potential consumers to help revenue in other areas.