Who will pay Burnes $400M this offseason?

psagawa

On 10/7/2024 at 10:17 PM, foxfield said:

So why would you have sought payment if you were owner as you previously stated?  Since you are not known for being litigious and all?

Also as I am sure you’re already aware the media exclusivity rights in Vegas are already shared by 6 major league teams. Which clearly was not the situation in DC as the territory was expressly the territory of the Baltimore Orioles. 

I was just being honest, if I think I can squeeze MLB for a payday I'm going to try.  Doesn't mean I would have actually tied things up in court, I'd have taken my payoff money and shut up.

Sorry I didn't lie about that for you.

As for the territory?  It moves with teams.  You don't think the teams around Miami, Tampa, Denver and Arizona lost "exclusive" territory when MLB expanded?

Who controls Nashville right now?  If a team moves there they are going to lose that area.

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we don’t resign Burnes then what are we doing as a franchise?  It’s hard to see any difference between Rubenstei and what we had before.

A case can be made for not bringing back Santander.  Heck, even Soto, but with our SP injuries, and the way we’ve spent our draft capital, the plan looked to be to always land that big time SP from outside the org.  Well that happened.  Gotta keep him now.

It's not like we can force Burnes to say yes. We can't even force him to pick up the phone. Elias may also dislike Burnes's age and falling K/9. I am not expecting him back and would not blame the organization for passing on him unless he signs a really cheap deal elsewhere.

On 10/7/2024 at 9:31 PM, foxfield said:

Just saw this monstrosity.

This part here:

I don't think anyone is arguing that the fans were owed anything. 

If you agree that the fans were not owed anything and Angelos, the aggrieved party, was satisfied with the resolution they reached what exactly is the issue?

The current owner bought the team two decades after the incident, he's not owed anything.

So what's the issue?

To me it's 100% the fan base being pissy they aren't a larger market.