2024 2nd Round Pick (#61): Ethan Anderson - C - (Jr) Virginia (VA)

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Law had him 45th.

Kiley had him 85th.

Law clearly likes him more than anyone else.(although I haven’t seen the BA ranking).

Doesnt turn 21 until September.

Nice that he played the entire college season at age 20, as a junior.

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kiley had him 85th.

Law clearly likes him more than anyone else.(although I haven’t seen the BA ranking).

Doesnt turn 21 until September.

Nice that he played the entire college season at age 20, as a junior.

Yes and same with Honeycutt.

11 hours ago, Sovaosfan said:

Have know Ethan since 8th grade, he committed to Uva when he was 13. He has been switch hitting all his life, don't really see the fit because he is definently a hit first catcher that is not super athletic. Great kid super excited he is in our organization but come on Elias we need some pitching.

He played HS ball with my little brother here in VB and is one of my little bro’s best friends. Very happy for Anderson. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I know. I'm just frustrated that Elias refuses to gamble on top-end pitching talent despite having a glut of position player prospects.

I get it, I would feel more comfortable if we had more pitching talent in the system. It appears Elias thinks there is a market inefficiency around spending draft capital on pitchers. So far his strategy is playing out beautifully. 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Until there is a signature on a dotted line it's prudent to assume we don't have him. 

Agreed.  And there is the question of do we want to commit a ton of money to extending a catcher.  And we also have Basallo...

So back to this pick, deep depth is great and this kid seems interesting just looking at it in a vacuum.  We certainly have impressive depth for position players throughout both the majors and minors but there is still one glaring weakness throughout the system that isn't being addressed...

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I get it, I would feel more comfortable if we had more pitching talent in the system. It appears Elias thinks there is a market inefficiency around spending draft capital on pitchers. So far his strategy is playing out beautifully

Really? Have you noticed the starting rotation we have now?

1 minute ago, panick said:

I have noticed that our rotation has the 7th best ERA in the major leagues.  Did you bother looking, or do you just go by your feelings?

5 minutes ago, panick said:

Not many teams and withstand the losses of pitchers like Bradish, Means, Wells, Coulombe, and Bautista.  I will argue that no team can.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I have noticed that our rotation has the 7th best ERA in the major leagues.  Did you bother looking, or do you just go by your feelings?

That's true, but that stat is also misleading.  Means (2.61 ERA) and Bradish (2.75 ERA) are gone and replaced by pitchers who no one expects to put up similar numbers the rest of the way.  Suarez and Irvin appear to be regressing as well, and Povich has been volatile.  Unless Elias brings in a good starter via trade, it's reasonable to project our rotation ERA will not be 7th best by the end of the year.

3 minutes ago, Rustbelt said:

Not many teams and withstand the losses of pitchers like Bradish, Means, Wells, Coulombe, and Bautista.  I will argue that no team can.

I agree that it would be difficult to replace all these pitchers at once.  However, that's why many of us have been hoping Elias would have done a better job building up pitching depth in order to better handle the inevitable injuries.  We were very lucky last year with no major starting pitcher injuries, and this year the law of averages caught up to us.