2024 6th Round Pick (#189): DJ Layton - SS - (HS) Charlotte Christian HS (NC)

https://www.maxpreps.com/nc/charlotte/charlotte-christian-knights/athletes/dj-layton/baseball/stats/?careerid=9tp8hprn6nmrb

https://www.maxpreps.com/nc/charlotte/charlotte-christian-knights/athletes/dj-layton/bio/?careerid=9tp8hprn6nmrb

Baseball Stats

CareerVar 23-24Var 22-23Var 21-22

Top Stats

Avg
OBP
H
RBI
R
FP

BattingBaserunningFieldingPitching

Batting (1)

Year  GD Team
Varsity Total
23-24   Var
22-23 Jr. Var
21-22 So. Var
GP Avg PA AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR GS
96 .341 330 273 77 93 62 18 3 5 0
30 .449 109 89 30 40 34 6 3 4 0
33 .307 118 101 27 31 16 8 0 1 0
33 .265 103 83 20 22 12 4 0 0 0

Batting (2)

Year  GD Team
Varsity Total
23-24   Var
22-23 Jr. Var
21-22 So. Var
GP SF SH/B BB K HBP ROE FC LOB OBP SLG OPS
96 5 7 40 52 5 17 10 112 .427 .483 .911
30 2 0 18 20 0 4 2 38 .532 .719 1.251
33 1 4 11 15 1 9 2 48 .377 .415 .793
33 2 3 11 17 4 4 6 26 .370 .313 .683
Last Updated on May 14, 2024 @ 12:03pm (GMT)

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah.  This certainly sounded like he expected to sign.

WhatMommaKnows

@WhatMommaKnows

I never imagined that this kid who ran the bases in Camden Yard when he was nine would be paid to run them years later.

Yeah you don't post that if you don't think you are signing.

25 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Why?

What is the first level of full-season ball? Is it Delmarva or Aberdeen? I didn't keep up after the changes a few years back.

You'd imagine that he'll be FCL this summer and either start in Delmarva or work his way there sometime next year. Right?

21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

What is the first level of full-season ball? Is it Delmarva or Aberdeen? I didn't keep up after the changes a few years back.

You'd imagine that he'll be FCL this summer and either start in Delmarva or work his way there sometime next year. Right?

Nothing against the kid, he's just a true HS level player.  It would be crazy to think that'd he would be ready for Delmarva next year after only a few weeks in the FCL this year.  I'm not counting him out, but he just OPS'd 700 his Jr. year of HS.  

Even if he doesn't crack Delmarva until 2026, he'll still only be 19.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nothing against the kid, he's just a true HS level player.  It would be crazy to think that'd he would be ready for Delmarva next year after only a few weeks in the FCL this year.  I'm not counting him out, but he just OPS'd 700 his Jr. year of HS.  

Yeah. I can see you being right. On the other hand, if the O's pay this guy over slot, they're not looking at him as a .700 OPS "just a true HS level player." I'd imagine they think he has a profile that would move pretty fast.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah. I can see you being right. On the other hand, if the O's pay this guy over slot, they're not looking at him as a .700 OPS "just a true HS level player." I'd imagine they think he has a profile that would move pretty fast.

Actually there's been changes in the FCL, aka rookie ball.  The season starts sooner and ends 10 days from now.  We'll probably see most of this year's draft class start in the FCL next year minus the advanced bats.  Definitely the HS kids.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Actually there's been changes in the FCL, aka rookie ball.  The season starts sooner and ends 10 days from now.  We'll probably see most of this year's draft class start in the FCL next year minus the advanced bats.  Definitely the HS kids.  

3 years ago Creed Willems got 10 FCL games, but sounds like Layton has no opportunity to be that quick with the new calendar.

I guess top tier FCL players are done their years by ~August 1 if they aren't good enough for Delmarva promotions?

SIGBOT probably doesn't mind having all fall to work with the kids in Sarasota with the Trajekt machines and other gadgets out of public view.      Put a little mystery into genuine player values for the off-season.

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I have seen his high school, Charlotte Christian, referred to as a small school in a few takes. We were in the same 4A Private School conference as them, that's the largest private school division. They were constantly playing dawgs and they produce several college players every year. His numbers were much better his Senior season, but that Jr Year he OPSd .793, but he batted .307 and was consistently facing 84-90 MPH pitching. OBP was .377 and he led the team in SBs with 17. He flashed much more pop this season. Stats in HS don't tell the whole story. There are kids up here in these WNC mountains that bat .500 but will never sniff a college campus bc they are seeing 70 MPH FBs and mom is keeping the scorebook. Layton is playing some of the top prep teams in the Southeast

• Upvote 2

On 7/15/2024 at 3:56 PM, OsFanInOhio said:

I wouldn’t be stunned if we had some savings from Vance. Braves and jays saved between 250k and 500k at picks 21 and 24 last year, and I wouldn’t have guessed Waldrup was an underslot guy last year. Or even Ninmala or however you spell it given the hype they got. Certainly more than Vance was getting this year. He felt like he was sliding rather than getting hype. 

I'm thinking the O's should be getting more savings on O'Farrell than Vance.  Definitely questioning the pick of O'Farrell over Brecht or another pitcher.  How many speedy, light hitting IF do you need?

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm thinking the O's should be getting more savings on O'Farrell than Vance.  Definitely questioning the pick of O'Farrell over Brecht or another pitcher.  How many speedy, light hitting IF do you need?

O’farrel was ranked and mocked in that range. So not entirely sure why he would take under slot. Whereas there were some folks suggesting Vance might fall out of the first like Brecht did. 
and I know everyone loves Brecht and his upside, but every single mlb team passed on him. And then 7 or so teams passed a second time (or third if you are Arizona). Either teams really have concern about him fixing his control or there are media on concerns or something. We don’t draft pitchers early. We shouldn’t be surprised when that continues, especially in a weak college pitching draft. 

48 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

O’farrel was ranked and mocked in that range. So not entirely sure why he would take under slot. Whereas there were some folks suggesting Vance might fall out of the first like Brecht did. 
and I know everyone loves Brecht and his upside, but every single mlb team passed on him. And then 7 or so teams passed a second time (or third if you are Arizona). Either teams really have concern about him fixing his control or there are media on concerns or something. We don’t draft pitchers early. We shouldn’t be surprised when that continues, especially in a weak college pitching draft. 

College juniors normally have savings. If you look at last year some players like Jacob Gonzalez and Kyle Teel were taken slot and saved 500-700k. The negotiations are done before the draft even starts. I believe that could have factored into EBJ falling last year. Brock Wilken saved the Brewers 800K as a Junior.