2024 9th Round Pick (#279): Jack Crowder - RHP - (Sr) Illinois (IL)

• 86this changed the title to 2024 9th Round Pick (#279): Jack Crowder - RHP - (Sr) Illinois (IL)

Hopefully not used as roughly by the Illinois schools as Cody Sedlock.

Any opportunity to recall Baltimore*-Washington Immaculate Grid star General Crowder is a good one, but that guy has some black ink, so Jack will have to start at more like Private Crowder.

*via St. Louis Browns

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Overall, Hyde is fine. I like him as the manager and I generally think people completely overrate what a manager is and does in today’s game. Most managers have the same in game strategies. The team is winning the last 3 seasons under him and he has pressed a lot of buttons correctly with pinch hitters this season. That said, the pitcher usage can be odd at times. Cano for 2 pitches last night is definitely head scratching. Now, that doesn’t mean we win or anything but I think it at least it increases your chances of winning. But they lost last night because of how much they expanded the zone. They could have scored way more runs in this series but they kept letting opportunities go by. One thing I noticed, especially with someone like OHearn, is almost as if they were trying to guide the ball to the monster. It’s an inviting target and wonder if they sometimes gets in their heads.
    • Thank you to Matt for providing the video.
    • And even with that, the Dodgers had a long stretch of being a 500ish team. They got a little healthier and starting winning more.
    • Why do folks always have to cry about payroll? The O's had the top farm in the game, they shouldn't have to resort to the depths they have to find guys that can stand on second base with a glove on their hand. Part of building a team is building depth.  The O's have traded a lot of that position player depth to fill the holes in their pitching staff generated by their draft strategy.
    • It’s just the tone of things.  It would be nice if there was video. And btw, I’m not saying this is for sure a sign of anything.  Just asking the question if it is.
    • Old school “book” said save for closer until you take the lead in extras when on road.  New school “book” says use closer as soon as there is a walk-off scenario in a tie game.  The rationale is that a tie game is higher leverage than a 1-run lead and you may have a lead when the 10th inning comes around. The problem in this scenario is that it wasn’t a choice between having Seranthony pitch the 9th and Cano pitch the 10th or vice versa.  It was either have Cano pitch the 9th or pull him from the game.  And, other than Seranthony being a little better at striking out lefties, there isn’t a huge gap in talent between the pitchers.  We needed 6 outs to win and we were better off having Cano pitch 3 of the outs even if that meant he was put in an ever so slightly higher leverage scenario than Dominguez. Pulling Cano was a mistake. Hyde made it because he was following the “book” but failed to factor in nuances specific to the situation. I can’t really blame him for pitching to O’Neil. Obviously, you walk him if Holliday makes the preceding play.  It’s not idea to walk the bases loaded there and put the winning run on 2nd - it was really pick your poison.
    • There's a slight difference of payroll and the ability to overcome injuries there.    LA 238.5M Baltimore 108.5M
  • Popular Contributors