Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

We've discussed this topic often throughout the past month or so, with varying opinions on what the cost could be.  @Sports Guy had a yes/no poll where Kjerstad, Mounty, Bradfield, and McDermott went for Skubal, and that was fairly split.  But I wanted this to be a bit different. 

I'd like to know what your best offer would be... meaning the absolute maximum you'd agree to.  It would be the sort of offer that really hurts but could entice the Tigers to pull the trigger. 

Thanks in advance.

Not a FA until 2027, which is great, but I think everyone is hesitant to give up too much on a pitcher with the way they've been dropping lately. Fact of the matter is that we need more pitching though. Tough pill to swallow that he wouldn't be in a rotation with Bradish and G-Rod until 2026, and Burnes won't be here anymore in all likelihood. That would be an elite rotation for sure.

I don't have the slightest idea what a package would look like for him given the length of team control he's still got left. It will be steep.

For perspective:

On July 7, 2008, Cleveland traded Sabathia to the Milwaukee Brewers for Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson and Rob Bryson. In October, Michael Brantley was added as a player to be named later; unusually, under the trade provisions the Indians were able to select the player themselves because the Brewers went on to make the playoffs. Sabathia had won the CYA in 2007. He would be a FA in 2009. 

LaPorta was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers with the seventh overall pick of the 2007 MLB Draft.

Jackson was a journeyman SP who played for 7 MLB teams and retired from baseball in 2015. He made nine starts with Cleveland in 2008 to finish the season, going 2–3 with a 5.60 ERA.

Rob Bryson was a MiLB pitcher who never made it to the Show.

Brantley ended up being a pretty good player.

So Skubal hasn't won a CYA award yet but is viewed as one of the best starting pitchers in baseball. He will be 2.5 years away from free agency at the deadline so he might be worth a bit more than Sabathia was in 2008. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Spakman said:

That trade he proposed is not good enough. You more than likely have to include Mayo or Jackson

The point of that thread wasn’t if the trade was good enough or not. The first post of the thread acknowledged that it wasn’t enough.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The point of that thread wasn’t if the trade was good enough or not. The first post of the thread acknowledged that it wasn’t enough.

Well, if that poll was split like the opening poster said and I  I haven’t looked at it recently, Then hangoters are more tight on our prospects than Elias potentially is. 

Just now, Spakman said:

I think if you include mayo, you don’t have to Kjerstad

Yeah then swap in Stowers. I think for Detroit to actually do it, you do have to include both. Or 2 of the big 3 (Holliday, Mayo, Basallo). But I'm still fine with the 5 I mentioned, or similar swaps for Wagner & Pham.

Skubal is one of, if not, the best starting pitcher in baseball. 

He’s 27, still arbitration eligible. Making less than $3m, and has 2.5 years left.

To get him you need a Soto like trade haul. Which means it’s going to require one of Holliday or Basallo, Mayo, Norby and McDermott. Who knows…probably more.

• Upvote 1

The Soto trade (at the time):

• Abrams (#9 overall, Padres #1 at start of season)
  • Gore (Padres #4)
  • Hassell (#21 overall, Padres #1 at time of trade)
  • Wood (#88 overall, Padres #3)
  • Susana (Padres #14)

Skubal isn’t Soto, as he’s older than Soto at time of trade, and he’s a pitcher but similar years left on contract and similar effectiveness. 

I don’t think Skubal should get the same haul, but close to it.

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

The Soto trade (at the time):

• Abrams (#9 overall, Padres #1 at start of season)
  • Gore (Padres #4)
  • Hassell (#21 overall, Padres #1 at time of trade)
  • Wood (#88 overall, Padres #3)
  • Susana (Padres #14)

Skubal isn’t Soto, as he’s older than Soto at time of trade, and he’s a pitcher but similar years left on contract and similar effectiveness. 

I don’t think Skubal should get the same haul, but close to it.

I think Holiday and Norby gets it done.  I wouldn’t want to throw in Stowers, but I would consider it. I wouldn’t give up any pitching in this trade. We have so little of it as it is in minors. 

I don't want to do the big three. A deal that I think is more painful than SG's package would substitute Norby for Mountcastle. Something like Kjerstad, Norby, Povich and Beavers. Sub Bradfield for Beavers or McDerm for Povich.