Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Is Holiday that good? Drafted as a SS and then found to not have the arm to play there; now he's a 2B. I get that the bat is special, 34 MLB ABs notwithstanding, but is he special enough to keep when you may not have a position for him to play? 

Yes

And he has a place to play.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

I don't think that would net the O's Skubal and Foley but if that's a legitimate offer, you HAVE to make that deal unless there is something with the medicals of Skubal. 

I'd expect if Detroit dangled that, the O's would in fact jump on it but I'd imagine that it would require at least another piece from the O's, probably an arm so either McDermott or Povich. 

And I would do JH, HK and Povich for Skubal and Foley. 

Kjerstad needs to be replaced with Stowers or Beavers for the O’s to even entertain this IMO. Even then they probably wouldn’t. I don’t think they intend to trade Holliday. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Unless every report is untrue, there are at least rumors linked to him and that Detroit is listening.

There isn't anything that will even suggest that the Giants are looking to trade anyone.

The Giants are like the Rangers, they will play this to the bone to see where they stand. 

I won’t take this thread off Skubal. I will just point out that I don’t see any reason to make any deal until we see the full scope of the market. 

No team can outbid us, so any team will wait for us because we can outbid any deal.

Just my two cents. Deadline time isn’t for the faint of heart that want to go to be tonight with a shiny new SP. 

Semantics, I guess.  I have my doubts as to whether Detroit is "looking to trade" Skubal.  Rumors don't mean a whole lot to me, though there seem to be plenty of them about all of these players swirling about; and I would assume that every GM in baseball is doing his job and having "conversations."  If it takes an offer of multiple top prospects in all of baseball to pry a player away, that is certainly not an indication that the player is really available in my eyes.  It goes without saying that any team will accept an offer that they can't refuse.

Offer You Cant Refuse GIFs | Tenor

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Kjerstad needs to be replaced with Stowers or Beavers for the O’s to even entertain this IMO. Even then they probably wouldn’t. I don’t think they intend to trade Holliday. 

This is where I'm at.  I would be willing to trade Holliday, not because I don't  believe in him as a prospect and likely future All Star but because he's replaceable.  The O's don't really have anyone to replace Kjerstad with in 2025.  Holliday, Beavers, lower level (20-25 range) prospect would be my final offer.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

This is where I'm at.  I would be willing to trade Holliday, not because I don't  believe in him as a prospect and likely future All Star but because he's replaceable.  The O's don't really have anyone to replace Kjerstad with in 2025.  Holliday, Beavers, lower level (20-25 range) prospect would be my final offer.

Yes they do.  Holiday to CF and Cowswer to RF/LF. Also have Hays, Stowers, and Norby.  

Could also resign Santander in that scenario. 

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Mayo or Santander

I think Kjerstad is the most likely to go.

I’d probably offer the same prospects to all 3 teams Snell included. With Snell I would want Doval back to equal the financial cost. If nobody bites I would already have a deal lined up for some number 3 guys.

23 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Is Holiday that good? Drafted as a SS and then found to not have the arm to play there; now he's a 2B. I get that the bat is special, 34 MLB ABs notwithstanding, but is he special enough to keep when you may not have a position for him to play? 

He moved to 2B because of Gunnar.  Guaranteed he wouldn’t have moved to 2B as soon as he did if it were not for Gunnar.   Who says we don’t have a position for him to play?

One thing to consider is that Detroit has a lot of rotation options that our pitching prospects like McDermott and Povich aren’t really better than. So they’re probably looking for offense mainly from us. 

I said I would do EBJ, Stowers, and Norby for Snell. I would do Holliday, Stowers, and Norby for Skubal. 

If they wanted to swap in EBJ for Stowers, or Beavers for Norby, then I wouldn’t let that hold up a deal.