July 20th @ Rangers

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

How many times am I allowed to try to post before I get the 403 error blocking my post attempts?   Does the website have too low bandwidth to handle the volume of posts?

I’m on IOS and haven’t had this problem—and the ad redirects that used to happen if I touched the wrong spot on the screen seems to have been replaced with a far easier to digest pop up. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

An old Twilight zone was on last week and they had a thing with Booth in it.  They were acting like he was just some rando.  He was probably the most famous actor of his day. 

his brother Edwin Booth was

OK, good start to the 2nd half!

• 2-0, 2 quality starts
  • 23 hits in 2 games while holding Texas to 8.
  • Picked up a game on the Yankees.
  • Passed Cleveland for best record in the AL.
  • Back on top as the highest scoring team in the majors.
  • Last night Burnes took over for top ERA in the AL
  • Tonight G-Rod takes over for most wins in the AL.
  • Westburg out of his slump
  •  O'Hearn reaches 4 times
  • Mullins and Urias contribute from the bottom of the order.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I would be OK with this and it’s what Hyde was doing with Kimbrel in a way too. We’ve got guys that can match up, let’s try to take advantage. 
    • A 90 win season with Grayson missing at least 10 starts, Means and Bradish missing at least 20 each.  Throw in Tyler Wells missing most of the season and other injuries I think this team and its management has done well.  If just a little more healthy they could have had back to back 100 win seasons.  I am glad we have Mike Elias and Brandon Hyde leading this team.  
    • Some interesting things of note from https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2023/Sabermetrics-101-Understanding-the-Calculation-of-WAR. I pulled out the relevant areas: Fangraphs allocates 570 WAR for position players and 430 WAR for pitchers, while Baseball-Reference allocates 590 WAR for position players and 410 WAR for pitchers The major difference between fWAR and bWAR comes from the measurement of fielding runs, which is the defensive output a player provides. Fangraphs uses a statistic called Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR), while Baseball-Reference uses a statistics called Defensive Runs Saved (DRS). The differences in these stats can lead to drastically different calculations in WAR for some position players. UZR takes into account 3 years of players’ data as well as MLB data to determine these percentages, whereas DRS uses essentially 1 year of data. Therefore, some rookies will have drastically different UZR and DRS stats. As opposed to positional players, Fangraphs and Baseball-Reference take drastically different steps in calculating the WAR of pitchers. It does not follow the formula for position players but does try to calculate the “wins” that a pitcher gives to their team. Instead, they use a “base” statistic to help calculate WAR. Fangraphs uses FIP, or fielding independent pitching, as its base for calculating pitchers' WAR, whereas Baseball-Reference focuses on Runs Allowed per 9 innings (RA9) for its base I think the main takeaway for Gil, bWAR likes him more than FanGraphs probably because FG aims to take the defensive element out of the calculation by centering on FIP. And if we look at FIP, his is close to 4. But Baseball Reference is using RA9 which does have a defensive element inherently calculated. As for Cowser, I reckon FG likes him more than BBRef particularly on the defensive metric side of things. Maybe BBRef is harsher on the DRS side than FG is on the UZR side. To me, I like FG for pitchers far more than BBRef. For position players, I’d give the nod to FG but mainly because I think DRS can have some wide swings where UZR has a tendency to be more centered.
    • Win game 1, Kremer/Suarez game 2, win game 2, Eflin game 1 ALDS? Win game 1, Kremer/Suraez game 2, lose game 2, Eflin game 3? Lose game 1, Eflin game 2?
    • The win tonight in game 161 allowed the 2023-24 Orioles to reach 191 wins, tied with the 1964-65 and 1965-66 teams for the 7th most wins in consecutive seasons.  With a win tomorrow, they could move up to a tie for 5th. Tonight’s win also gave the O’s 275 wins over the last 3 seasons, tied for 11th with the 1975-77 and 1976-78 O’s.  They could move into a tie for 10th with a win tomorrow.  
  • Popular Contributors