McDermott to start Wednesday?

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, OsFanInOhio said:

A bit surprised they wouldn’t just give Irvin a spot start if Cade can’t come back yet and nobody else is on full rest. But interested to see how he looks. 

I think Irvin is likely to get DFA'd after deadline. Unless a mop up presents itself I hope we don't see him again.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Personally I think this is to give McDermott a look at the major league level to know how bad of a starting pitching need they have. 

It could be a matchup thing as well. The Marlins have the ability to run out 8 righties(w/ SH) and L Jazz Chisholm vs LHP. 

I do agree that this is a good time to get a chance to look at McDermott. Weak lineup. 

Personally I think this is to give McDermott a look at the major league level to know how bad of a starting pitching need they have. 

But even if McDermott has a great start, they know the walks will most likely be an issue moving forward.

Not sure how McDermott proves anything at this stage of the season.  

29 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I think Irvin is likely to get DFA'd after deadline. Unless a mop up presents itself I hope we don't see him again.

He's extremely frustrating. Looks like the next coming of John Means for over a month and then right back to throwing meatballs. 

I've personally also had enough and hoping he becomes a throw-in in a deadline deal. He's got two more years of control but no options. 

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

But even if McDermott has a great start, they know the walks will most likely be an issue moving forward.

Not sure how McDermott proves anything at this stage of the season.  

He can prove the stuff plays at the MLB level.  I think like Tony said, it’s also to see how much of a need we have.  Like, do we need a stud #1 and a 3/4 or can we pick up one impact guy and absorb the load in house? 

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

So I guess McDermott is being considered instead of Povich? And if that is true, then Povich wasn’t adequate even as a fifth starter? 
If so, then this is why I don’t think Hancock would be a helpful pickup, nor Montas.

If we get a rotation pitcher, it has to be someone better than our current number three, because otherwise we are just making a more or less lateral move. Raising the floor is important, but a better 5th guy isn’t meaningful. A better THIRD guy is definitely meaningful.

Think it's more a function that Povich was optioned on 7/13 and isn't eligible to be brought back up until 7/28. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

A bit surprised they wouldn’t just give Irvin a spot start if Cade can’t come back yet and nobody else is on full rest. But interested to see how he looks. 

Think it's more a function of Cole Irvin's last 6 appearances: 9.00 ERA, 6.03 FIP, 1.053 OPS, 6 dingers, 1.88 WHIP. 

I would much rather see McDermott than Irvin, so I hope that's the move.

I doubt very much that McDermott's performance would affect whether we pursue a legit #3 starter in the trade market.  I do think that he could be included in a trade for a #3 starter, though.  

Someone would have to be sent down or DFAd for McDermott, right?  Vinny Nittoli, Bryan Baker, Cole Irvin?  

12 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He can prove the stuff plays at the MLB level.  I think like Tony said, it’s also to see how much of a need we have.  Like, do we need a stud #1 and a 3/4 or can we pick up one impact guy and absorb the load in house? 

That's a lot to try and figure out on one start.  I hope that Elias doesn't rely on such small sample sizes.

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would much rather see McDermott than Irvin, so I hope that's the move.

I doubt very much that McDermott's performance would affect whether we pursue a legit #3 starter in the trade market.  I do think that he could be included in a trade for a #3 starter, though.  

Someone would have to be sent down or DFAd for McDermott, right?  Vinny Nittoli, Bryan Baker, Cole Irvin?  

Last time Suarez started they gave that duty to Cole Irvin. But think that was more a function of the O's being down. If the O's are up, don't think Irvin gets the ball.

I strongly doubt the O's jettison Irvin right now. Yeah, he's been abysmal, but the O's have shown a proclivity to send down rather than to cut...Baumann not withstanding. 

Nittoli doesn't have any options remaining. Neither does Irvin. Nittoli is a righty. So is Baker. There's redundancy there.

I reckon Baker is the easy decision. He's the only one with an option remaining and he's not particularly amazing. There's also redundancy with Burch Smith, tbh.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Zero chance he gets dfa’d. He’s cost controlled for multiple years and performed well late last year and early this year. Could he be traded? Maybe. But dfa? Not a chance. 

Hopefully we will be getting a significant veteran upgrade at the trade deadline, so the next week or so could be the last chance for either McDermott or Povich to get a look as a starter, absent injuries or regression. McDermott could perhaps get two starts before the trade deadline. 

Could also be a chance for scouts to look at him if he is being used as trade bait.