O's July swoon

wildcard

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

Hopefully, they do better. There is no guarantee that he will perform to any of his metrics. His pitching runs value has been awful this year and he is bottom of the barrel in Avg EV, Barrel %, and HH%. I want nothing to do with him.

There isn’t but he’s performed well for long stretches before. He does give up hard contact but his xwOBACON is barely worse than Rodriguez’s and much better than Kremer’s. If they’re getting one SP, I wouldn’t want it to be him. But if they’re able to nab 2 SP’s, I would be happy with him as the second guy. 

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sticking your fingers in your ears and chanting La-la-la-la-la does not make the problem go away.

In July  Adley 541 OPS,  Westy 711 OPS, Gunnar 736 OPS; all below their season avg OPS.

Is it possible that it’s a 162 game season and there will be stretches that are more poor than others?

It doesn’t mean that they’re tired. Was Santander tired to begin the season?

We need to go 6-3 in these next 9 games to finish July with a winning record and extend our streak to 10 consecutive winning months (as always, counting stray late March games as part of April, and stray early October games as part of September).

42 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

There isn’t but he’s performed well for long stretches before. He does give up hard contact but his xwOBACON is barely worse than Rodriguez’s and much better than Kremer’s. If they’re getting one SP, I wouldn’t want it to be him. But if they’re able to nab 2 SP’s, I would be happy with him as the second guy. 

Ideally, we want someone better than Rodriguez as our second starter. He's still figuring it out. If it's not a clear upgrade from him, and Kikuchi isn't, I'd pass. We have enough starters who can finagle their way through 5 innings and 3+ runs, why trade for another?

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sticking your fingers in your ears and chanting La-la-la-la-la does not make the problem go away.

In July  Adley 541 OPS,  Westy 711 OPS, Gunnar 736 OPS; all below their season avg OPS.

What point are you trying to make?   Some guys are having a bad month.  Are they more tired than everyone else in the league?   When Santander had a lousy April, was he tired?  Is Urias less tired now then he was in April?

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Ideally, we want someone better than Rodriguez as our second starter. He's still figuring it out. If it's not a clear upgrade from him, and Kikuchi isn't, I'd pass. We have enough starters who can finagle their way through 5 innings and 3+ runs, why trade for another?

I think the issue is there’s no reliable option as the 5th starter right now with Povich and Irvin’s performance, and Suarez isn’t even getting through the 5th inning at this point as the 4th starter. 

5 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I think the issue is there’s no reliable option as the 5th starter right now with Povich and Irvin’s performance, and Suarez isn’t even getting through the 5th inning at this point as the 4th starter. 

They are going to the playoffs if they don't make any moves at all, they should be trading for the playoffs not to get through the season. They shouldn't waste any prospect capital on lateral moves just to make them.

Just now, Malike said:

They are going to the playoffs if they don't make any moves at all, they should be trading for the playoffs not to get through the season. They shouldn't waste any prospect capital on lateral moves just to make them.

They’re in a close division race right now so any improvement still helps towards that. And Kremer is shaky at best as a #3. I get what you’re saying though, they do need more difference makers on the pitching staff. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Agreed. Many weeks you don't even need a 5th starter.

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed. Many weeks you don't even need a 5th starter.

You do if you don’t want the other four guys’ arms to fall off.   There are about 20 off days in a season so in theory you could have 4 starters make 37 starts and the 5th only would make 14.  I wouldn’t advise it.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You do if you don’t want the other four guys’ arms to fall off.   There are about 20 off days in a season so in theory you could have 4 starters make 37 starts and the 5th only would make 14.  I wouldn’t advise it.   

We've been playing it safe all year (as we should). If the division is still close in September I would think we could pitch guys on normal rest for a big week or two rather than throwing Povich out there.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

We've been playing it safe all year (as we should). If the division is still close in September I would think we could pitch guys on normal rest for a big week or two rather than throwing Povich out there.

Sure, you can do that for a couple of weeks, especially right at the end.  I just don’t think it works long term.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

What point are you trying to make?   Some guys are having a bad month.  Are they more tired than everyone else in the league?   When Santander had a lousy April, was he tired?  Is Urias less tired now then he was in April?

Point is if they are not hitting because they tired or beat up  they need more rest to get back to being good hitters again. 

Gunnar just did the homer run derby.   That takes a toll.

Adley is a catcher in 90+ degree  heat.  That can make him tired.

Westy may be playing more games in a month than he normally does.

If the O's don't get then rest they may just continue to not hit.