July 24th @Miami Chayce McDermott's MLB debut

nevadaO

This team better get a major upgrade in the pen and in the rotation. If they dont I have serious doubts whether they can hold on and be any kind of playoff team...they simply have too many holes ...and not all of it is with pitching ....this is a TOTAL embarrassment to lose the series to the freaking Marlins.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Nope, no need for a starting pitch or reliever. Nope, this team should just keep all their prospects and ride out with the crap they have. 

Every rumor site has them looking at both SP and RP, why would you think they don't believe there is a need for it?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Just my opinion. ZiPS projects him for a .708 OPS next year and I'd bet on the under. I think he's a .230/.295/.395 hitter with a below average glove. A Rio Ruiz type of player.
    • We have to keep Irvin "pumped up."  When he's "deflated" he's just no good.  🤣
    • There just seems to be some sort of disconnect between upper management, coaching and the players right now. Do I know that for sure? Obviously no. But with the dropoff we've seen in offensive production something is off here. They literally have been mediocre since the All Star break. And the only big loss on the offensive side is Westburg. 
    • There are no answers, only Zuul. But seriously, I think the issue at play here is we look at the body of work of guys like Eloy, Slater, O'Hearn, Rivera, and (to a lesser extent) Soto, you see where the holes are. I get that O'Hearn was thrust into 1B near FT due to the Mountcastle injury, but that didn't explain Hyde from playing O'Hearn in the OF when he is one of the worst defensive OFers on this team. Right now, this team is very much ailing. Ramon coming back will definitely help spell the need for O'Hearn to be a 1B by maybe letting Rivera play over there.  We need to get back to a point where O'Hearn is only hitting against righties and is playing sparingly in the field. Eloy is a liability at this point. I was a proponent of seeing what mechanical tweaks they could make similar to what they did w/ Hicks (and even O'Hearn!) and they did catch lightning in a bottle maybe due to excitement/adrenaline and BABIP being unsustainably high, but right now his flyballs aren't carrying and his groundballs aren't finding holes, so there's probably a reason why Chicago is saying, "Haha, told you so!" This team is in freefall offensively, at this point...just give the ABs to Mayo. You can't simultaneously say, "He needs to make adjustments!" and then let him have 5 ABs over 5 games. That isn't a way to grow a player. Not everybody can be a part time player and be effective off the bench/sparingly. Kjerstad has shown an ability to hit lefties in the minors as well as in the majors (albeit in very limited time, he his 4 for 10 against them). Let the kid play. Slater has fallen off a cliff, but at least he's a solid defensive OFer I get it, nobody is going to solve the offensive woes of this team when it comes to the rookies/young guys. Mayo, Holliday, Kjerstad, even Cowser...they're all still adjusting. The change needs to come from the main stays. Now, Adley is starting to hit, Gunnar is back on a hitting binge, but this lineup desperately needs some consistent production from Tony to go along with it because right now way too much pressure is being put on the bottom of the lineup and the young guys. And I'm not convinced Westy solves any of those issues as wrist injuries are a beast to bounceback from quickly.   
    • I get the desire to poo-poo analytics and advanced data, etc.  It does get obnoxious hearing about statcast pages in red when guys aren't hitting well.   But more obnoxious are cries of "the old eye test" and "old school" and the other various "yelling at cloud" types of arguments.  If everyone was stuck with the way things were done back in the day, we'd never progress and never advance in any area of life or society.  That includes how we look at and discuss baseball.
    • If the above is true, how do you get a team to deliver timely hits, stop pressing, and quite expecting to lose?  
    • I'm not sure if I'd go as far to say as Norby is a bad baseball player.   My post was a bit tongue in cheek.  Like, I'm not ready to give up on Trevor Rogers even though admittedly he's been terrible since he got here.  A lot of people were acting like we gave up Steve Finley 2.0 after Norby went on a heater when he arrived in Miami.  It was absolutely silly to think that way, just like it's silly to point to his recent cooldown as a sign of who he is, too. Much like the book hasn't been finished on the player Trevor Rogers will be, the book also hasn't been finished on who Norby will be, either.  I understand your criticism of him and I think it's valid to a degree but it also ignores the idea of any upside he has.   
  • Popular Contributors