Does having Mateo on the IL hurt the Orioles at the deadline?

Maybe he was a trade option,or maybe not, but even if hes not, it further complicates a trade of Urias or Norby or both.I would try and move Urias,who is a veteran shortstop with some offensive upside. But if  he and Norby go in trades, this would greatly expose the Orioles infield depth.I think they move Norby and keep Urias.

Edited by Roy Firestone

10 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Maybe he was a trade option,or maybe not, but even if hes not, it further complicates a trade of Urias or Norby or both.I would try and move Urias,who is a veteran shortstop with some offensive upside. But if  he and Norby go in trades, this would greatly expose the Orioles infield depth.I think they move Norby and keep Urias.

A veteran SS is a very flattering description.   And it’s wrong.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Probably isn't great news for Basallo.  Maybe Holliday isn't as likely to get traded in a Skubal deal if we have to include one of the big 3.  

What has Mateo got to do with Basallo?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

What does that have to do with Basllo?

There can only be one @Can_of_corn.  haha.  I guess if you can't beat em', join em'.  

Holliday might be less likely to be dealt now.  Which means... Basallo would be more likely to be dealt.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There can only be one @Can_of_corn.  haha.  I guess if you can't beat em', join em'.  

Holliday might be less likely to be dealt now.  Which means... Basallo would be more likely to be dealt.  

If the Mateo injury significantly alters Elias' actions at the deadline, then Elias is not nearly as smart as I thought. That would be an extreme tail-wagging-the-dog move IMO. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

If the Mateo injury significantly alters Elias' actions at the deadline, then Elias is not nearly as smart as I thought. That would be an extreme tail-wagging-the-dog move IMO. 

I have to agree here. Mateo is a good versatile utility guy who had been filling in admirably at 2B, especially against left-handers. His loss, which hopefully isn't for too long, should have no impact on any moves at the trading deadline. The Orioles can still play Westburg, Urias, and Norby at 2B, even if Holliday was moved. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

but could play 3b and ss and 2b and 1b if needed...agree?

He's barely ever played 3B so that is not really a selling point. Mateo is a SS/2b/CF utility guy. He was not being traded to be an everyday guy in my opinion because I doubt any team sees him a an everyday player.  

Edit: I now see you were talking about Urias vs Mateo. Urias is 3B/1B/2B guy, but I doubt he's bringing much back because he's always on the cusp of being DFA'd. Urias is a slightly above replacement level player at this stage in his career. He's not going in any trade as anything but a throw in to clear up roster space.

I think it affects them, in the sense that they’re probably going to have to trade something small (or at least go waiver wire diving) for a legitimate SS to stash at AAA.

The concern sort of got discarded in the game thread right after the injury, but without Mateo, I still don’t think the Orioles have a single player in the organization (behind Gunnar) who could play SS credibly on an everyday basis for a team trying to win. They have various emergency options who could step in temporarily if Gunnar had to leave a game — but who holds down that job defensively if he’s out for a couple weeks or a month-plus?

If Holliday’s arm wasn’t on the fritz, you would imagine it’d be him. But we’re now down two elbows among our top 3 organizational SS options, and I’m really not sure there is a #4.

Edited by e16bball