Hays traded to Phillies

deward

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dominguez is basically a rental.  He has an option for 2025 but it at 8M.    I doubt the O's exercise that option.

Pache hit lefties well in 2023.  57 PA,  924 OPS.   Pache had surgery on both his knee and elbow in 2023.   

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You could certainly make the argument that Mayo is even more needed now for his bat.  

I guess we need to drop someone off 40 man as well. Didn’t think about that.  

Levi Stoudt DFA'd.

Pache is a very good CF defender and a right handed hitter, so it makes sense as a defensive replacement and occasional starter against LHP. Basically the McKenna role, but with an actual plus defensive CF. That’s useful for this year and at least next year, since Fabian is still 1+ years away (if not traded, and if he ever makes the majors).

That said, Pache’s offense is so putrid I’m not even sure he’s better than starting Cowser vs LHP other than for Cowser’s off days. Not even really a true platoon partner in that sense. He has been much better against LHP than RHP, though, so that helps. He has good chase rates and actually hits the ball decently hard, it’s just all ground balls. He was a former top prospect so maybe there’s a bit more to unlock with the bat if they can elevate the launch angle a bit. It will help that he should not be facing RHP. 

Dominguez has a great arm but he’s a pure rental (his option for next year is too pricy at $8M), and he’s really just one cut above the Baumann/Fuji mold. His Statcast page is pretty for this year but that’s still a small sample and he has a much longer career sample of being more so-so. Still, this bullpen needed reinforcements, and he does fill the need for a righty high-K middle reliever/setup guy and is overall an asset there. Bonus points that he has been very good in the Phillies’ playoff runs the last two years. It’s not enough if he’s the only bullpen addition, but it’s a start. 

I’m lukewarm on both players, but it’s a solid return for Hays. Plugs two roster holes, move a guy who may be nontendered this offseason and is only a short-side platoon player right now. The most interesting question is who plays against LHP now? Is Pache a 1-1 substitute for Hays or are more LHP ABs going to Kjerstad? Cowser still playing against every LHP?

It’s also interesting because they could now trade Mullins without needing to find another CF, with Cowser and Pache.

Some stats of S.D.:

Seranthony Ambioris Domínguez

Seranthony Ambioris Domínguez (pronounced serr-ANthoh-nee)…Married Darlina Sarahi Villanueva; has two sons, Saimon and Sander…Hobby: Playing PS5…Signed by: Koby Pérez.

Made his third career Opening Day roster...Established a new single-season career high in games with 57...Per Statcast, ranked in the 96th percentile in average exit velocity (85.5 mph) and 95th percentile in fastball velocity (97.7 mph)…45 of his 57 appearances were scoreless (79%)…Ranked second on the club with 14 holds, trailing only Gregory Soto (24)...Posted a 2.74 ERA (14 ER, 46.0 IP) over his final 52 games (4/12-end of season); allowed nine runs (7 ER in 4.0 IP) over his first five games...Did not allow an ER over a span of 15 games (13.1 IP) from 4/18-5/21...On the 15-day IL with a left oblique strain, 6/16-7/24; included a rehab assignment to Lehigh Valley (AAA), 7/21-24...Recorded two saves; both came in consecutive appearances on 8/1 and 8/3 at MIA...Six of his final seven appearances were scoreless (1.17 ERA; ER, 7.2 IP)…Did not allow an ER in six postseason appearances (5.1 IP); appeared in three NLDS games against ATL and three NLCS games against ARI.

https://www.mlb.com/player/seranthony-dominguez-622554

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dominse01.shtml?utm_medium=linker&utm_source=www.mlbtraderumors.com&utm_campaign=2024-07-26_br

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, justD said:

This is just the kind of thing I was looking for but tbh can’t quite figure out why PHI did this. Is Seranthony yet an another unreliable reliever? (Yes, I know all RP are inherently unpredictable but still…)

It feels like a great deal regardless. I love Hays but his time was up here, this will be good for him I think. 

He is mediocre at best …. Fuji 2 …. Fascinated by the Ks …. Give up too many runs, hits , and walks 

Edited by Roll Tide

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

This is the salad of trades.  It isn’t food.  It’s what comes before the food.  It’s a promissory note that food is on the way.

(with a nod to John Pinette)

I hope so. Feels good that Elias is not only active, but willing to trade from the ML roster. Especially given the slide we are in. ML roster needed a shakeup anyways.

Just now, KojiSplit said:

Some people are really expecting more for Hays? Plus this clears up more space for Kjerstad and others. It’s not as this is Elias all in move.

D

1 minute ago, KojiSplit said:

Some people are really expecting more for Hays? Plus this clears up more space for Kjerstad and others. It’s not as this is Elias all in move.

I would’ve rather moved Hays for some lottery tickets. Somehow our offense is worse after the trade. Didn’t Fuji have an uptick in performance before being traded?

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He is mediocre at best …. Fuji 2 …. Fascinated by the Ks …. Give up too many runs, hits , and walks 

If the Orioles can turn Jacob Webb into a good reliever, they can certainly turn this guy into a good reliever as well.

• Upvote 1

Love to see this creative way to shed Hays, add reliever value (with positive postseason experience), and open up more OF opportunities for Norby (RH) and the others. Pache I think is a throw-in project, or defensive CF sub (espec. if Mullins goes).

• Upvote 1