Orioles acquiring Zach Eflin

LookitsPuck

4 hours ago, rm5678 said:

Etzel, Baumeister, & Horvath.

I guess that's an EBJ v. Etzel answer.     That trio doesn't seem too bad for the future peak Samuel Basallo (Fangraphs new #4 overall prospect) teams.

Eflin has leaned into extreme strike throwing this season - George Kirby and him are miles ahead of everyone else for lowest walk rate.    I think that may have had a little to do with the many hits and home runs, and on a deeper staff maybe the control dials get turned some.

I thought Eflin and Bassitt could be baby steps for Elias to a 1.5 year pitcher commitment, and between the two I do consider Eflin a little fresher.

What an exciting day to be an O's fan. Yes, the team is clearly better than it was just 12 hours ago, but maybe even more important, we now see that Dave Rubenstein is definitely willing to spend more than John Angelos.

$18 million for a single season of a single pitcher? Madness! :drek:

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

What an exciting day to be an O's fan. Yes, the team is clearly better than it was just 12 hours ago, but maybe even more important, we now see that Dave Rubenstein is definitely willing to spend more than John Angelos.

$18 million for a single season of a single pitcher? Madness! :drek:

They could flip him in the offseason!

It might be half Corbin Burnes' 2025 salary?!?!

I think Angelos has Stockholm Syndrome'd some of the fans - 1/18 is not an extreme sum for a top half of rotation pitcher.

B-Ref teaches me Eflin was 1st round in the 2012 draft out of the same high school Mountcastle came out of in the 2015 draft.    If Mountcastle was there all four years, I think that works out to Eflin was a senior when Mountcastle was a freshman.     Are freshmen who are future 1st rounders varsity material in 9th grade?

Padres 2012 draft - Max Fried and Zach Eflin a nice 1-2 punch as a couple of high school arms at the top of the draft.

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I love it when we talk about flipping guys on here!  Often for a better return than what we initially gave up!

The best is signing guys in the offseason so you can trade them at the deadline.

• Upvote 1

So I think Tampa's investment in Eflin ends up with them paying him about $18M for ~1.6 seasons of very nice pitching, Jackson Baumeister, Mac Horvath and Matthew Etzel.

Elias between Gibson's 2023 and these last 1.4 years of Eflin will spend about $35M on 2023-2025 pitching.

Would he have had to go 3/45 to beat Tampa's 3/40 winning bid to Eflin?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

So I think Tampa's investment in Eflin ends up with them paying him about $18M for ~1.6 seasons of very nice pitching, Jackson Baumeister, Mac Horvath and Matthew Etzel.

Elias between Gibson's 2023 and these last 1.4 years of Eflin will spend about $35M on 2023-2025 pitching.

Would he have had to go 3/45 to beat Tampa's 3/40 winning bid to Eflin?

He would have to have gone 3/45 AND arrange for JA to be blackout drunk when it came time to sign Eflin to any kind of three-year deal.  What is the point of this kind of hypotheticals when the O's prior ownership status make them moot?

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Calling him a #4 is completely illogical.

Exactly.  I have him slotted ahead of Kremer.  I would like a better #3 playoff starter, but he's an improvement for the regular season and playoffs.  The less I see Povich and McDermott start this year the better.  Who knows, one of them might be an acceptable starter next year, but it's not looking that way this year.