Call Basallo Up? (a la Machado 2012)

yark14

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Name one player that has been promoted to MLB from AA since 2019.  

I can’t think of any.  

Apart from that, Basallo has had his hands full with AA pitching so far this year.  I don’t know that his play warrants a AAA promotion yet.  

You are just talking about from the Orioles right?

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why the defense talk?  What is the stereotype with Basallo and his defense?  Billy Ripken says his arm is better than Adley’s. What’s the knock on him?  I think people hear 6’4” catcher and assume that he’s some stiff back there. He’s not. 

McCann is sort of Burnes’ personal catcher. So between that and Basallo is in AA, are the only reasons McCann is still here. 

Because he’s 19 years old.

No one in the last 25 years has played an ML game at catcher at the age of 19, but you think Sammy Basallo is the one who’s just going to step in and be sufficiently masterful at receiving, framing, blocking, throwing, pitch calling, etc? That he’s going to be James McCann’s equal in those respects?

And forget 19, there’s only been a total of 12 games played at catcher by guys in their age 20 season in that span, and 7 of those 12 happened two decades ago. 

Teenagers don’t catch games at the ML level. It’s fantasyland stuff, and there is a 0.0% chance that Elias and Sig are going to rush this kid up to the bigs just so we can avoid the 15-20 more McCann starts that are left in his Orioles career.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s revisit this when McCann’s name is in the lineup with his pending 0-4. 

Just because you want to see it, doesn't mean it's the right move.   I like that cooler heads are prevailing here.  Right, 5 of the 9 guys in our lineup on any given day are an 0-4 waiting to happen.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s revisit this when McCann’s name is in the lineup with his pending 0-4. 

This is a horrible take. Sure McCann isn't hitting, but he's a backup catcher. Offense from your #2 catcher is a bonus.

Promoting Basallo now, when he's 19 and not dominating AA would be foolish. You don't risk the development of a Top 10 prospect just because you aren't happy with how your backup catcher is hitting.