O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Either one would have better worlds better than Rogers.  The extra year of control doesn't help if Rogers sucks.  Hopeful that Elias and co. can make some improvement but their record with pitching really hasn't been that good.

Meanwhile Norby and Stowers are GONE.

1 hour ago, G54377 said:

It really seems like Elias panicked a bit knowing he needed another starter, but wasn't going to give up enough for Flaherty. I can't remember who else was left at that point? This was my least favorite trade we made at that time and this certainly hasn't changed my mind.

Remember we had both Flaherty AND Tanner Scott under our control and we did nothing with them.

They both did better as soon as they left.

Both commanded much higher trade packages this past week then from when we let them go (or traded him in TS;s case).

What does that tell you?

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Remember we had both Flaherty AND Tanner Scott under our control and we did nothing with them.

Both commanded much higher trade packages this past week then from when we let them go (or traded him in TS;s case).

What does that tell you?

It tells me you're really good at revisionist history.

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

What does that tell you?

That we win some trades and lose some trades, exactly the same as any other team.

I think Rogers will be ok over the next few seasons. We paid so much for the years of control. He doesn’t have to the kind of stuff you want starting a Game 4. That’s probably still Kremer. 

This is why I was talking up Kikuchi as the 2nd pitcher. A lefty that throws 97. We saw how much that went for though. After trading Baumeister, we didn’t have a pitching prospect to outbid the offer of Bloss. 

While I did not like the Roger’s acquisition as I don’t think he’s anything above an average #5. And he’s the same type of soft tossing lefty like Irvin and Povich that has a very razor thin margin of error to find success.

I will say that Elias almost didn’t have a choice to get someone who was at least decent because of how bad the pitching staff had become. The options of Suarez/McDermott/Irvin/Povich just aren’t Major League starters. They were negatively impacting the floor of the team in a way that wasn’t sustainable. 

I don’t like what I saw from Roger’s last night. But to be honest I wasn’t expecting much. He’s a #5 starter facing a playoff team on the road who has a very good lineup (I believe 4 all-star hitters). 

In the long run, while not good, I don’t expect him to be nearly as bad as what we had.

Buried by the rough Rogers start was how bad Suarez continued to look. 

Velocity down out the bullpen, poor command, big back-breaking home run. Couldn't go 3 innings. We might have used up all of what he can give us this season. 

Edited by interloper

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Rogers will be ok over the next few seasons. We paid so much for the years of control. He doesn’t have to the kind of stuff you want starting a Game 4. That’s probably still Kremer. 

This is why I was talking up Kikuchi as the 2nd pitcher. A lefty that throws 97. We saw how much that went for though. After trading Baumeister, we didn’t have a pitching prospect to outbid the offer of Bloss. 

I do too and thought the Rogers pickup was more about 2025 and 2026 all along. Fixing him will take some time.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Buried by the rough Rogers start was how bad Suarez continued to look. 

Velocity down out the bullpen, poor command, big back-breaking home run. Couldn't go 3 innings. We might have used up all of what he can give us this season. 

Yeah he couldn’t even go 2 innings as the long man. If he keeps struggling and can’t even give you length in that role, there’s no reason to keep Akin down instead of him, who has been great this year in low leverage situations. 

You don’t want to DFA him because he’s under control through 2027 and theoretically could start, but at this point he’s no better than Irvin was, soaks up less innings, and he’s also going to be 35 next year.