Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think people are severely underrating what Eloy could bring to the team. Going to be fun to watch people come around on him. 

This year's Geronimo Berroa? 

Who is our DH vs RHP, Mountcastle or Eloy? 

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think everyone realizes what he could bring to the team.  I also think they realize what he is most likely to bring to the team.   Probably not much.

Potential low risk, high reward as far as I'm concerned.  You're right - maybe he's washed and ends up contributing little, but considering we gave up pretty much nothing I think it's worth a shot.

8 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Potential low risk, high reward as far as I'm concerned.  You're right - maybe he's washed and ends up contributing little, but considering we gave up pretty much nothing I think it's worth a shot.

It’s funny because I was watching a 2022 video of him on YouTube last night. In the comments people were talking about potential 50 HR power. How the sky has fallen. Taking past top 10 overall prospects from bad organizations is not a bad idea. His career OPS is still 790 which is higher than I believe anyone on our team besides Gunnar and Adley.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think everyone realizes what he could bring to the team.  I also think they realize what he is most likely to bring to the team.   Probably not much.

Well I think a lot of people (not you) are just looking at his 2024 WAR or whatever and assuming he's trash. He was injured a lot of the year. I think if we use him in a role where he is likely to succeed, he's going to surprise. He's been on the White Sox his whole career, that has to suck. I dunno, I just like this move. 

Interesting that he’s still not activated yet? I’m assuming he’s taking Kjerstad’s spot, but admittedly I don’t know that.

Kjerstad seemingly hasn’t been “right” since his concussion seemingly, so hopefully he can go down to Norfolk and get his timing back.

32 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

He’s 27 and has some good data.  I don’t think he’s washed up.   He’s not hit well this year and I don’t know why we should expect that to suddenly changed and it’s not like he was great last year either.

Elias is taking a shot.  He basically said so himself (“maybe he’ll go on a heater”).   

Looks like Elias took a lot of shots.  We’re basically hoping Dominguez, Soto, Rogers, Jimenez, Slater, and even Elfin are better than they showed in the first half.   That’s a lot of shots.

Edited by RZNJ

Just now, RZNJ said:

Looks like Elias took a lot of shots.  We’re basically hoping Dominguez, Soto, Rogers, Jimenez, Slater, and even Elfin are better than they showed in the first half.   That’s a lot of shots.

That said... Dominguez, Soto, Rogers, and Eflin are all clear upgrades to the pitching staff, even their first-half selves. They are replacing Irvin, Baker, Povich, and bumping Suarez to the bullpen. 

The hitters Elias acquired, yeah, they are kind of dice rolls/depth moves. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

That said... Dominguez, Soto, Rogers, and Eflin are all clear upgrades to the pitching staff, even their first-half selves. They are replacing Irvin, Baker, Povich, and bumping Suarez to the bullpen. 

The hitters Elias acquired, yeah, they are kind of dice rolls/depth moves. 

No doubt.  The rotation has to be better.  The bullpen should be better and the upside of the bullpen is much better.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No doubt.  The rotation has to be better.  The bullpen should be better and the upside of the bullpen is much better.

Eflin will go deeper in games than Suarez.  Rogers will go deeper in games than Povich/McDermott.  That's 3+ IP less a week for our bullpen to have to eat.  That'll keep our guys fresh.  We'll get to add an extra arm in September too.  

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well I think a lot of people (not you) are just looking at his 2024 WAR or whatever and assuming he's trash. He was injured a lot of the year. I think if we use him in a role where he is likely to succeed, he's going to surprise. He's been on the White Sox his whole career, that has to suck. I dunno, I just like this move. 

Yeah, he is not far removed from good production. However he hasn't shown much sign of anything this year. Could he be a change of scenery guy?

23 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

Interesting that he’s still not activated yet? I’m assuming he’s taking Kjerstad’s spot, but admittedly I don’t know that.

Kjerstad seemingly hasn’t been “right” since his concussion seemingly, so hopefully he can go down to Norfolk and get his timing back.

I wouldn't read much into anything for this afternoon's roster on getaway day.   It'll be sorted out by in Cleveland tomorrow night.

If Eloy was in Chicago at 6pm yesterday, and the Orioles are traveling to Cleveland at 5pm today, would you even ask the guy to be at OPACY right now?

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

High reward?  He's a weak side DH.  How high can the reward be?

If you want O'Hearn and Holliday as platoon players in October, I guess against Ragans or Framber or Rodon or Nestor, you could max out with 3B Mayo, 2B Westburg, 1B Mountcastle, DH Eloy.

That would kind of be the infield's spin on the max offense Kjerstad-Cowser-Santander outfield unit we have now seen a very small number of times.

Burnes or Grayson ought to get a lot of strikeouts that night.

Eloy is exciting adjacent to Gerrit Cole as a big talent on a Central team that maybe never knew how to optimize his talents.    The Fangraphs article on him mentioned his ground ball proclivity, something I am sure Orioles PD will get to work on drumming out of him.     He reminds me of Yandy a little as a powerful seeming guy who knows how to hit.

To the extent I've joked Elias likes talent sets in twos like Noah's Ark, Eloy as a White Sox has kind of lived out a "bad case" outcome relative to what I hope for Samuel Basallo.

I think the answer is None of the Above, but today it is maybe an interesting prop bet would Elias venture ~$13M in 2025 cash on Craig Kimbrel or Eloy Jimenez.    The Orioles will get all the freshest data to formulate a 2025 bid assuming Eloy needs a pillow contract at more like half that number.

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s 27 and has some good data.  I don’t think he’s washed up.   He’s not hit well this year and I don’t know why we should expect that to suddenly changed and it’s not like he was great last year either.

Elias is taking a shot.  He basically said so himself (“maybe he’ll go on a heater”).   

Damn, Elias is hoping he hits on a 6 leg bet.  I feel like the O's have long odds after having so much go wrong with the pitching, Bradish, Means, Bautista, etc.