O's acquire Austin Slater

Birds08

Coby Mayo is BETTER than Slater, or Eloy,  or any of these acquired failures....and he's got a future. He hasn't had a long slump all year in Norfolk. Why in the hell can't this organisation give this kid a chance? Oh, yeah, because the want to retain "rookie status". What a ridiculous reason to hold the kid back.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Can he explain it to me?  I'm not sure Slater, Eloy and Kjerstad can co-exist on the same roster.  I feel like we need Kjerstad's bat and he needs the experience.

Simple. Kjerstad will be optioned. Pache will be DFA'd. 

15 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Coby Mayo is BETTER than Slater, or Eloy,  or any of these acquired failures....and he's got a future. He hasn't had a long slump all year in Norfolk. Why in the hell can't this organisation give this kid a chance? Oh, yeah, because the want to retain "rookie status". What a ridiculous reason to hold the kid back.

I don’t think that has anything to do with it. You reported earlier in the season that they were bringing him up right before he got hurt.

While I agree he should be up here, his defense is clearly holding him back.

I blame the Os for that but it is what it is. 

I don’t think the rookie status nonsense is factoring in at all.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Roy, I have to disagree with you. Bringing Coby up for a part-time role does not help him continue to develop. Is Slater better, in a broad talent sense? No. Is Slater a better fit for the team right now? Yes. Do you really want to lose games while Mayo figures out how to be an impact bat in a playoff and championship drive? I don't.

This is not a decision to be based on pure ability. Its about who the player is right now, and how they fit. Mayo is not the best fit for this roster as constructed. If they had sent Urias out, then maybe. However, those plays he would have booted due to his inexperience and such would have cost us. The pitchers throw a lot of sinkers. We need to have the best defense we can get, and turn outs into outs.

15 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

@Roy Firestone     Coby’s dad is using your account again!

11 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Dont worry Roy he will be up in September The 3 (Kjerstad)will be auditioning for extra bench bat in the post season. The 2 (mayo and Kjerstad) need experience but Jimenez already has it, and they think can tweak something and if they do watch out.Being out CWS may very well help as well.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good take. I think Slater beats out Pache, and Pache gets DFA today. We could still trade Pache as a DFA. Just like Irvin. Or anyone else we DFA. 

CF and LH SP have value. Do not be surprised if we get a little something back. Hopefully DSL fliers. 

I think trades cannot happen until the offseason. No? I think they took a shot at Pache for temporary depth, but ultimately to see if they can sneak him through and send him to AAA. The kid is a talent, but needs real work on his physical strength and hitting development. 

22 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

The question is, is he clearly better than Urias net of defense? For Mayo to contribute to the team he has to be able to play 3B. From what we are hearing, he hasn't done that. I think Santander is going to have to walk before Mayo gets his chance at a full time gig. He can come up in September but that will be as much about rosters expanding as ROY eligibility.

22 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Roy- I want to see Coby Mayo on the team just as bad as you do. However, from what I understand he doesn't play good enough defense to be on a 1st place MLB team. If his defense was better, he would have been called up months ago.

It's clear Elias wants some experienced guys in specialized roles heading into the playoffs. He is going to carry Holliday, so I don't think he will also carry Mayo or even Kjerstad down the stretch. 

Honestly? I can't blame him. Kjerstad has looked rough on both sides of the ball. Mullins has stepped up, Cowser looks good, and Tony is having a career year. Now is not really the time to be breaking in multiple rookies. Plus the team could use another veteran guy or two IMO. Totally understand those who disagree, just saying. 

Eloy will be deployed as a lefty assassin in a Delmon-like role. Slater will be used liked Hays against lefties with Cowser shifting to CF and Mullins on the bench. At least that's how it looks right now.  

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Watch when they bring him up right around the time they brought Gunnar up in '22.  

It’s possible they do but I don’t think that is some kind of plan.

That time is 3-4 weeks away. They don’t feel he’s ready defensively and clearly they want him to play more first base in the minors. It’s very possible they see him as a first baseman in the playoffs. Mounty is a guy that can get really cold and be exposed vs good pitching. Perhaps they see a path towards Mounty not even being on the playoff roster but they need to see Mayo at first more.

So it’s possible they feel he’s ready in 3-4 weeks because he has a bunch more starts at first and is in better position to be good there.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That time is 3-4 weeks away. They don’t feel he’s ready defensively and clearly they want him to play more first base in the minors. It’s very possible they see him as a first baseman in the playoffs. Mounty is a guy that can get really cold and be exposed vs good pitching. Perhaps they see a path towards Mounty not even being on the playoff roster but they need to see Mayo at first more.

So it’s possible they feel he’s ready in 3-4 weeks because he has a bunch more starts at first and is in better position to be good there.

I wouldn't be upset if that were the plan.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I appreciate you're  dislike for Mounty, because you dont waiver. But RM not on the playoff? I dont think thats what their looking for